Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 08:45 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
They cane adults in Singapore. The American who caused an uproar after being sentenced to "six of the best" in 1994 was 18 at the time of the crime and almost 19 when the sentence (reduced to 4 strokes) was carried out.
I wasn't aware that most of the people on this forum are from Singapore. I thought we were talking about the United States...where the 6 year old was paddled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 12:04 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wasn't aware that most of the people on this forum are from Singapore. I thought we were talking about the United States...where the 6 year old was paddled.
It doesn't hurt to expand your horizons outside the U.S. We can learn something, sometimes.

My sister spent 40 years in Peru, and mentioned often the lack of discipline of the children. They were allowed to run free and disrupt everything with no consequences. They grew up to mostly seem to have jobs and families and kids of their own, so who knows.

I got spanked (not paddled) for stealing a caramel from the grocery store when I was six. Things have changed!

This is surely a weird story, though.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:49 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your question was "Then why not paddle adults?" I pointed out that some American adults do get paddled (or caned in this case). Next time think before you respond sarcastically.

Now go stand in the corner.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:59 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Not filing charges against the principal is a lot different than authorities saying the principal "was in the right." While the state may allow corporal punishment, it's not clear that the district allows it. If it's against district policy, I imagine her contract would be cancelled and she would be terminated immediately. I'm not sure how a principal isn't aware that corporal punishment is not allowed by the district. That's not something you just overlook. In Texas, corporal punishment is legal, but very few districts actually allow it.

Looks like the mom asked the school to use corporal punishment over the phone, the school said you have to come down to the school and give that approval in person. She promptly drove down to the school and requested corporal punishment in person. She then witnessed it, secretly filmed it, thanked the principal afterwards, then ran off to file a lawsuit against the school.

"She later told local media she had offered the youngster as a 'sacrifice' and filmed the spanking to show what was happening at the school."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rl-paddle.html
This too:

Quote:
The mother is an undocumented immigrant and was fearful of reprimand.

Get the eff out of my country! Complete the wall!!

Old 05-11-2021, 01:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Those of you who think this is ok, might be interested in the history of spanking

https://aolff.org/history-of-spanking/

From its earliest practice, in Ancient Greece, spankings were administered to adults. It was a pagan practice for increasing fertility in barren women who were spanked by the pagan priests. Later, it was introduced into the Catholic Church as a means for adult women to have their sins removed by the priest spanking them after confession. In pre-WWII Britain the practice was expanded to wayward teenage girls in the tradition of the removal of sins.

The first time the idea was introduced that spankings are never to be given in anger, but rather in love, it was as the advertising pitch for the book “Spencer Spanking Planâ€. That book put forth the instructions for spankings of husbands and wives within marriage in order to increase marital harmony. The key here, whether the spanking was administered for fertility, punishment, or fun, is that the person being spanked was willing.

“The Talmud teaches us that a father who strikes an older son is to be excommunicated. Jewish legal authorities inform us that while this law only mentions an older child, it is actually true of any child who might possibly react improperly.â€

Unfortunately many Christians have taken a handful of OT verses, misinterpreted them, and then used them as the foundation for an entire doctrine of child discipline.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:18 PM

329 posts, read 224,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Those of you who think this is ok, might be interested in the history of spanking

https://aolff.org/history-of-spanking/

From its earliest practice, in Ancient Greece, spankings were administered to adults. It was a pagan practice for increasing fertility in barren women who were spanked by the pagan priests. Later, it was introduced into the Catholic Church as a means for adult women to have their sins removed by the priest spanking them after confession. In pre-WWII Britain the practice was expanded to wayward teenage girls in the tradition of the removal of sins.

The first time the idea was introduced that spankings are never to be given in anger, but rather in love, it was as the advertising pitch for the book “Spencer Spanking Planâ€. That book put forth the instructions for spankings of husbands and wives within marriage in order to increase marital harmony. The key here, whether the spanking was administered for fertility, punishment, or fun, is that the person being spanked was willing.

“The Talmud teaches us that a father who strikes an older son is to be excommunicated. Jewish legal authorities inform us that while this law only mentions an older child, it is actually true of any child who might possibly react improperly.â€

Unfortunately many Christians have taken a handful of OT verses, misinterpreted them, and then used them as the foundation for an entire doctrine of child discipline.
I question the reasoning and source (probably "spare the rod...") behind the former practice of Catholic nuns administering "upper cuts" and other violent forms of punishment for offenses as innocuous as talking.

If the child who damaged that computer were in a Catholic school class during the sixties she would be lucky to leave there with all of her bones intact. Ok, that's a slight - but just a slight - exaggeration, and a lawsuit would have been, most likely, unthinkable and fruitless.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:25 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
There is no way in hell I would allow anyone at a school to use their judgement in determining if my kid needs spanking or not.
They wouldn't without your approval.

I've seen this done in Texas schools as well..parental consent and presence is required.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:25 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Who was video taping this? Was it the mom?
Does anyone actually read a posted article anymore? Here it is, with emphasis added by me. To me, the bolded is where the real story is.

Quote:
The Florida school principal caught on video paddling a 6-year-old girl did not break any laws, the Florida State Attorney found after conducting a review of the Clewiston incident. No charges will be filed, CBS 12 reports. Central Elementary School staffers say the girl purposely damaged school computer equipment. One staff member gave a statement claiming that when the girl's mother was contacted by phone about the incident, she said her daughter was also damaging items at home, but that she was "afraid to discipline her by spanking, because her daughter threatens to call the police and [the Department of Children and Families]." She says the mother then asked that school staffers spank her daughter, CNN reports. The staffer says she then told the mother she'd need to come to the school to ask in person for the spanking to be carried out, and then remain in the room while it happened, and that the mother did just that.

In a memo, Deputy Chief Assistant State Attorney Abraham R. Thornburg says that upon review of the incident, it does appear "the child's mother sanctioned and consented to the spanking of her daughter as discipline for misbehavior," and that on the video of the incident, which was secretly recorded by the mother, she can be heard thanking staffers afterward. The memo notes that per Florida law, parents have the right to spank their children or authorize others to do so for them and spanking is not considered child abuse. The office also found no evidence of "great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement." The mother, however, filed a police report after the incident, and her attorney says she was confused about the school's policy and was scared when she went in and witnessed the spanking. He says a flawed legal analysis was used, and that the spanking was indeed illegal.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:26 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
I question the reasoning and source (probably "spare the rod...") behind the former practice of Catholic nuns administering "upper cuts" and other violent forms of punishment for offenses as innocuous as talking.

If the child who damaged that computer were in a Catholic school class during the sixties she would be lucky to leave there with all of her bones intact. Ok, that's a slight - but just a slight - exaggeration, and a lawsuit would have been, most likely, unthinkable and fruitless.
And if she made it home she'd be in worse trouble from her parents who, of course, got a call home from the school.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:40 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
OK but the incident happened at a public school. There has been no suggestion that the administration did it for religious purposes or for any reason other than as a deterrent to future vandalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education