Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
is there any other way?....God where would we be without coat hangers....the plumbers little helper.
Of course there's another way besides using bare hands. It's called: Gloves

Oh, and for second offense, the child should unclog the toilet with his/her mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
If the child clogged the toilet on purpose, then I can understand making him try to uclog it, but he is in the 3rd grade. I think that it would be up to the janitor to do this job, and punish the child another way.
However, I would come unglued if I learned that my child was forced to unclog any toilet, with his bare hands. Thats just nasty!!!!
Anyone ever heard of a plunger?
Sometimes a toilet auger or plunger will not work and the only choice is to reach in... at least the child had small hands...

My brother dropped his new retainer in a toilet by accident when he was 8 years old... he was just about to catch hell from mom until he said he was able to reach in and get it out...

Mom bought it to the hospital where she worked and ran it through the sterilizer...

I said shut-up once to a neighbor and had my mouth washed out with Ivory Soap... at least Ivory is 99.9% pure.

Why is it OK when it is someones job and considered punishment for the child?

I still need to know the rest of the story...

Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
The story doesn't have details, so just speculation.

If the kid plugged it on purpose, then yes - clean it out by hand. Doesn't say what was in it - perhaps toilet paper? paper towels? rags? It doesn't say what warnings might have been given to the child ahead of time, how many times the kid might have done it before, etc. I don't see anything wrong with punishing people for doing something destructive. Toilet in 3rd grade - fights in middle school - theft in high school - murder? who knows? Again - no details listed so hard to comment.

Arresting the teacher I think is extreme. Suspension while investigated is fine. There was a teacher in Maine that lost his job due to a girls complaint that he touched her. Lost his job, arrested, name dragged through the press. Later the girl recanted and said she made it up.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:15 PM

196 posts, read 208,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Of course there's another way besides using bare hands. It's called: Gloves

Oh, and for second offense, the child should unclog the toilet with his/her mouth.

that might not be effective if their mouth speaks more poo poo than the commode will hold...

Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Only if the kid clogged the toliet deliberately to begin with, and I probably wouldn't make him/her use their hands. The article doesn't give any details.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Janitors are paid to unclog.....if my kid were to clog a toilet intentionally, I would be thouroughly PO'd to find the the teacher took away my right to make the kids life miserable for a long time. Teacher doesnot have the right to administer a "toilet cleaning" punishment and MY punishment will be far more severe.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Janitors are paid to unclog.....if my kid were to clog a toilet intentionally, I would be thouroughly PO'd to find the the teacher took away my right to make the kids life miserable for a long time. Teacher doesnot have the right to administer a "toilet cleaning" punishment and MY punishment will be far more severe.
I would need more info... is this a public or private school?

For all I know it could be one of the military or bootcamp type of schools...

Most schools do not have a plumber on site and would have to make a request through the district and of course the school would get a charge back for the service visit...

If the toilet is one of many, another option is to have it repaired and charge the parents... kind of making a big deal when a child could solve the problem... but, it seems some would be willing to pay any price?

For all we know, gloves were used...

Old 05-18-2008, 12:42 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
[quote=shadowfax1997;3776429]The story doesn't have details, so just speculation.

If the kid plugged it on purpose, then yes - clean it out by hand. Doesn't say what was in it - perhaps toilet paper? paper towels? rags? It doesn't say what warnings might have been given to the child ahead of time, how many times the kid might have done it before, etc. I don't see anything wrong with punishing people for doing something destructive. Toilet in 3rd grade - fights in middle school - theft in high school - murder? who knows? Again - no details listed so hard to comment.

Arresting the teacher I think is extreme. Suspension while investigated is fine. There was a teacher in Maine that lost his job due to a girls complaint that he touched her. Lost his job, arrested, name dragged through the press. Later the girl recanted and said she made it up.[/QUOTE]

I know so many teachers that have had this happen to them. I think that there are more students telling lies about teachers abusing them than teachers actually abusing their students. I had a kid in my class say that I kicked him and I didn't even touch him. Although he did kick me though. Luckily I had witnesses. Another teacher at my school had a student say that she grabbed him so hard that it made red marks in his arms. It turned out that the student stood in the back of the classroom grabbing both of his arms hard enough to make the marks himself. There was another teacher at my high school who had a student say that he touched her and actually nothing happened. The student was just telling a lie about the teacher to seek revenge.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Default Yikes!

[...] bluebelt, what state and what kind of school do you teach in? What a mess!

Last edited by mawipafl; 05-19-2008 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: mod edit

Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
So unclogging toilets is cruel and unusual punishment? Hmmm Then I should have had my kids arrested for all the times I had to unclogg a toilet.
No details about the why, but from where I sit its not cruel or abusive.
Easy to say I don't want a teacher punishing my child when your not the one who has to deal with bad behaviors for 8 hours. Most parents who get irrate about school punishments are also blind to their own childrens bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education