Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:22 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,612 times

Advertisements

I'm no fan of the ACLU usually, but did any of you read the article? The things that are happening at that school are appalling. This is exactly the kind of work the ACLU ought to be doing.

Further, corporal punishment in the schools is just wrong. I can't believe it hasn't been completely outlawed already. If this is typical in Peg's school, I'd say she ought to keep complaining until something is done to make the situation right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 AM

10 posts, read 26,791 times
I know Peggy Dean and she has helped so many parents and children who contacted HER. I live in MS and had idea who to call for support or advice. I searched the internet, finding a post. Kudos to Peggy for standing tall when others have no idea the pain we go through when our precious children are sent home to us black and blue. We parents have no rights since this happened at "school". If we had left them this way it is called CHILD ABUSE.

Last edited by lindajlue; 07-13-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: miss spelled a word

Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
The trouble is the ACLU loads the courts with suits that make busenss and governamtn much more expensive.The person that thinks that way should be willig to be sued over evry liitle thing themselfs. they use the courts as socail chnaging venues because they can't get enough support for tehir beliefs in many cases.You always have a right to go to the school board meetings and also to gain support. You also have the right to run for the schoolboard. Of course then there is the PTA where you can organise parents if teh agree with you.Black and blue means you can file a crimnal complaint too.Besides why do you think student behave so poorly in schools now days;it couldn't be the parents lack of teaching manners;oh no. Well as long as it comtinues the more people will split off from supporting public schools.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:49 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindajlue View Post
I know Peggy Dean and she has helped so many parents and children who contacted HER. I live in MS and had idea who to call for support or advice. I searched the internet, finding a post. Kudos to Peggy for standing tall when others have no idea the pain we go through when our precious children are sent home to us black and blue. We parents have no rights since this happened at "school". If we had left them this way it is called CHILD ABUSE.
Teachers are not responsible for raising YOUR kids. They are not there to discipline your misbehaving child, but unfortunately, they have to, because a lot of parents have really screwed up their own kids by modelling dysfunctional behaviors. I don't know of any well-behaved *precious children* who got paddled black and blue. The only kids I ever knew to get paddled were chronic troublemakers. It's my understanding that you don't just get paddled on a first offense. You gotta continue breaking rules after warnings and timeouts and ISS and OSS or whatever. By the time a kid actually gets paddled, the kid has repeatedly broken rules despite admonishment.

And I oppose CP. I'm not that concerned about it, and I would consent to it, knowing that none of my children would ever have to face that issue. It just wouldn't come up. Ever. None of them would behave so disruptively time-and-time again to warrant CP. I advise you parents to take a long look at your parenting skills. These kids in trouble at school learned maladaptive behavior somewhere, and probably from you. I'd really like to hear these dedicated advocates address the real issue for once. Why's the kid in trouble to start with?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Teachers are not responsible for raising YOUR kids. They are not there to discipline your misbehaving child, but unfortunately, they have to, because a lot of parents have really screwed up their own kids by modelling dysfunctional behaviors. I don't know of any well-behaved *precious children* who got paddled black and blue. The only kids I ever knew to get paddled were chronic troublemakers. It's my understanding that you don't just get paddled on a first offense. You gotta continue breaking rules after warnings and timeouts and ISS and OSS or whatever. By the time a kid actually gets paddled, the kid has repeatedly broken rules despite admonishment.

And I oppose CP. I'm not that concerned about it, and I would consent to it, knowing that none of my children would ever have to face that issue. It just wouldn't come up. Ever. None of them would behave so disruptively time-and-time again to warrant CP. I advise you parents to take a long look at your parenting skills. These kids in trouble at school learned maladaptive behavior somewhere, and probably from you. I'd really like to hear these dedicated advocates address the real issue for once. Why's the kid in trouble to start with?
Very well said!!!! I am a teacher and there are some kids who are never disciplined in class because there parents are actually doing their job. Go figure....

Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Default The "Board of Education" worked for me!

On the rare occasion that I deserved it, I got my knuckles rapped with a ruler by Miss Thomas (and other teachers). And I'm certainly no worse for the discipline. Of course, my parents and teachers were allied to make sure I got a good education (in spite of my typically childish antics)

Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 AM

Default Teacher's should teach, Parent's should parent

I completely agree with you that, we as parents have the responsability to teach our children to obey rules, be respectfull, have manners. I especially wanted my daughter to treat others the way she wanted to be treated. Teachers are there to teach, coaches are there to coach, Lord forbid they should also be role models. Parent's should be a child's first role model. I would gladly have taken care of the situation if I had been notified. I will gladly tell you the highlights of the nightmare we went through. So much has happened I could take up this whole board. I don't know any "chronic troublemakers" who were cheerleaders all through junior high and high school as my daughter was. If you were a chronic troublemaker you would not be on that team here due to part of your try outs are teacher recommendations. The 1st time my daughter was in 6th grade & tardy for gym class along with a few others. The gym teacher gave them a choice of 1 lick & another girl told her to take the lick it didn't hurt(my daughter had never been paddled & was in the 6th grade). The teacher lined them all up making them watch as he warmed up hitting a chair. She got that 1 lick told me when I picked her up after school she had bruises. I have Physician documentation of severe welts & bruising as well as a complaint and photo's at the sherriff's dept which they said they would keep on file in case it happened again.(I could have pressed charges but chose to keep it on file) I spoke to the principal & teacher, coming away very upset at the principal's attitude but felt the teacher did not intend to do this. I made it very clear they were NEVER to paddle her again. The principal even stated "she needs to tell us she can't be paddled". I did not want her to have to tell this due to it seeming very disrespectful and not wanting her to come away with that attitude. I took care of the tardy issue by talking with her & making it clear that she would lose privileges if she was tardy again. I make it clear to the school they were to contact me. Never had a problem until 12th grade when she was 18yrs old and this coach is now principal..

Old 07-14-2008, 07:07 AM

Default criminal complaint

My daughter returned to school on Tue after spring break her senior year. She missed school on Mon due to returning very late from a spring break trip.(my fault if you want to blame someone) She had no idea the principal announced over the intercom on Mon they could not wear apparel exposing their ankles.(This is very TRUE) A teacher who was not her teacher stopped her on the way to class telling her that her her pants were too short & she had to pull them down for which she did. The teacher stated they were still to short. These were sweat pants she had pulled up mid-calf(I am not kidding). Pulled down that came to top of her ankle. She told mydaughter they were still too short &she would be written up for a dress code violation. My daughter was shocked..She told her she had worn these 15 times to school..She then told her she was not going to write her up for this, still in shock. She then went to her 1st period class & was called to office for dress code violation and disrespect to the teacher. She was asked if she was on the no paddle list and told him No due to her not wanting to go to ISS. He took her in his office by himself without a witness. After 1st lick, she stood up thinking he was through. He said,"Bend over you are getting another one for disrespect to a teacher". My daughter then said,don't hit me again I can not take another one. He hit her again. She later went to restroom and had bruises. I returned a NO PADDLE form at the beginning of the year which could not be found. He admitted he never looked. The change in dress code which he implemented in Mon. was changed back on Thurs. The rule book stated she must be sent home to change, 1st offense was 1 day ISS. No where in the handbook dresscode does it say you can't show ankles. I was never notified by the school. I did file a criminal complaint & a judge said there was enough evidence to go to trial. He went to trial and was found not guilty of assault due to we could not prove intent..But at least it was made public how policies & procedures are not followed. I went through proper channels, principal, superintendant, school board. The superintendant did ask this principal to step down and take a coaching/teaching position. After the 6th grade incident I thought, "at least it won't happen to my child again". Boy was I wrong..

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
whoa whoa whoa wait - they are still PADDLING kids in school??!! IN 2008?

They are letting adult men paddle middle school girls? Is this true?

Old 07-14-2008, 12:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
whoa whoa whoa wait - they are still PADDLING kids in school??!! IN 2008?

They are letting adult men paddle middle school girls? Is this true?
well it must be the end of the world huh? heck yes they still do it in some places. don't pretend the world is a whole lot better in 2008 than it was in 1940 and this is a terrible thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education