Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 10:01 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
They also don’t want to change the narrative that white slave traders captured Africans in Africa to be sold as slaves. That was native Africans and Arab slave traders doing the capturing and selling. They also don’t want to remind people that it was people of European heritage who literally fought battles on land and sea to try to put a stop to the slave trade in Africa or that it is still going on today in parts of Africa and the Middle East.
Unfortunately, the opening of Roots showed white men capturing Africans in the jungle, and that image was cemented in a lot of people's minds. Still, most European powers (England, Denmark, France, Spain, Portugal, and the Netherlands) had slave trading posts in West Africa and shipped slaves across the Atlantic to work on plantations in their New World colonies. Yet it was European and American Christians who ended the slave trade, often through bloody conflicts with other whites, and then ended slavery entirely.

The Arabs, under the Sultans of Zanzibar, dealt in slaves mainly in East and Central Africa and shipped them across the Indian Ocean and to Arabia and the Levant. Under pressure from the British, the Sultan abolished the slave trade in 1870 and finally abolished slavery altogether in 1897.

But like you say, slavery is still being practiced in parts of Africa, especially where you have Arab Supremacists coming in contact with sub-Saharan black people. https://time.com/longform/african-slave-trade/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 07:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. A school district in RI is in fact more or less eliminating most special classes for those with IEPs.

2. Per CRT nice job moving the goal posts but I'll play. CRT represents many things but let's start with a working definition. I lifted this from a pro CRT author named Luna Castelli who I'm pretty sure lifted it from Alan Freeman a CRT founder.

"Critical Race Theory (CRT) is a movement that joins together activists and scholars who study and aim to transform “the relationship among race, racism, and power”

1. IOW CRT is everywhere on the political left. Most teachers, academics and activist are to the left etc. etc.

2. For me tho. there are two significant pain points related to CRT.
A. Revisionist history/counter-story telling. Often these words are code for lying. Like the - white Euros taught American Indians how to scalp - lie noted above. Like the incessant line that CRT isn't in K-12 that's another lie. It is, has been and everyone knows as much.

B. And the big one...........CRT advocates believe any time a set of outcomes break in one direction or the other in terms of race said inequities are racist, the dominant culture is to be blamed and merit or not such inequities must be rectified. Ergo in the first world whites and Asians are always at fault.

The yield of this ethos is that qualifications be damned in racial terms we need racially proportional numbers in terms of things like medical school, law school, college and grad school graduates etc. Math outcomes are racially disparate ergo racist because math is so let's limit honors math, stop expecting correct answers etc. etc.
Historical minorities as groups don't score as well on tests like the MCAT, LSAT, USMLE Step 1, 2 and 3.........so let's make them optional or do away them.

I'm all for a blow by blow account of history for high schoolers FWIIW.
1. Federal law (IDEA), requires states to ensure that a free appropriate public education (FAPE) is made available to eligible children with disabilities in mandatory age ranges residing in the state. I don't know how a school district gets around that. Hopefully, someone else knows about exceptions to the law.

2. The trouble with CRT is people have made up their own definitions. CRT is only being talked about by radical right winders. To say that "Most teachers, academics and activist are to the left," is ridiculous. How does anyone make this kind of generalization? I'm in education and I've run into some extreme right wingers. I actually do not know the political orientation of most of the people I work with. Most teachers have avoided talking about politics.

3. Many of your comments have nothing to do with CRT. CRT does not deal with revisionist history. Do some research on reputable sites.

4. Affirmative action and CRT are separate topics, don't confuse the two.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:50 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
What exactly is demonizing in this context.

I don't understand how you do not demonize people involved in slavery.
I don't understand how you do not demonize people involved in Jim Crow.

If we're going to be honest about this nation, we need to honest about the good and the bad.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:50 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
2. The trouble with CRT is people have made up their own definitions.
Any teaching or suggestion that one race of people are "oppressors" and another race of people are "oppressed" does not belong in a public school classroom. Certainly not at the elementary school level. It doesn't matter how stealthily these ideas are taught.

The same goes with teaching about "systemic racism" in modern American society. These are politically charged topics that have no place in the classroom. Teachers who discuss these things are spewing political propaganda.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:53 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is highly irresponsible for a school superintendent to take sides on racial issues in the schools they represent.

What about all the class disruptions and violence that black students cause? Why doesn't anybody talk about that? This is crazy stuff.
Why do you only want to talk about "the class disruptions and violence that black students cause". How about just talking about the class disruptions and violence that students cause?

Old 05-11-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:

2. The trouble with CRT is people have made up their own definitions. CRT is only being talked about by radical right winders.
I have no sympathy for radical Left Wingers who are losing the messaging on CRT.

You can't deny that CRT exists one day, and the next day claim that it's great and just misunderstood.

People are not afraid to call BS when they see it, especially when their children are the targets.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Any teaching or suggestion that one race of people are "oppressors" and another race of people are "oppressed" does not belong in a public school classroom. Certainly not at the elementary school level. It doesn't matter how stealthily these ideas are taught.

The same goes with teaching about "systemic racism" in modern American society. These are politically charged topics that have no place in the classroom. Teachers who discuss these things are spewing political propaganda.
I agree with your comment that teaching or suggestion that one race of people are "oppressors" and another race of people are "oppressed" shouldn't be in the classroom. I'll add the word demonize to that.

I think the concept of "systemic racism" can be taught and It helps to explain how we got to where we are today. System racism exists and has evolved over time. It is not propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I have no sympathy for radical Left Wingers who are losing the messaging on CRT.

You can't deny that CRT exists one day, and the next day claim that it's great and just misunderstood.

People are not afraid to call BS when they see it, especially when their children are the targets.
What is the message? What are these children targets of.

I just discussed this issue with another history teacher. We both agree that few people understand what CRT is, there are very few teachers teaching it, and it shouldn't be a controversy. He is currently teaching several classes on the 1960s including civil rights. He mentioned that he taught in Maryland and had to follow a precise curriculum daily. In what classes would a Maryland teacher fit CRT into their curriculum?

Old 05-11-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
What is the message? What are these children targets of.

I just discussed this issue with another history teacher. We both agree that few people understand what CRT is, there are very few teachers teaching it, and it shouldn't be a controversy. He is currently teaching several classes on the 1960s including civil rights. He mentioned that he taught in Maryland and had to follow a precise curriculum daily. In what classes would a Maryland teacher fit CRT into their curriculum?
You keep changing your story. You originally challenged me to "name one" district where CRT was being taught, which I did, and then you adamantly claimed "fake news". Now you admit that you know there are teachers who teach it. You can't have it both ways.

What is the message? That CRT is bad for children. What are the children targets of? CRT. It's that simple.

Like I said in a previous post, if CRT is great then explain what it is. And stop gaslighting people by saying it doesn't exist. If crazy, racist teachers are teaching bad stuff and it's falsely being labelled CRT then you have to reign in those racists and stop them. Because if you on the Left won't stop them, there are plenty of people on the Right who will.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:36 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
1. Federal law (IDEA), requires states to ensure that a free appropriate public education (FAPE) is made available to eligible children with disabilities in mandatory age ranges residing in the state. I don't know how a school district gets around that. Hopefully, someone else knows about exceptions to the law.

2. The trouble with CRT is people have made up their own definitions. CRT is only being talked about by radical right winders. To say that "Most teachers, academics and activist are to the left," is ridiculous. How does anyone make this kind of generalization? I'm in education and I've run into some extreme right wingers. I actually do not know the political orientation of most of the people I work with. Most teachers have avoided talking about politics.

3. Many of your comments have nothing to do with CRT. CRT does not deal with revisionist history. Do some research on reputable sites.

4. Affirmative action and CRT are separate topics, don't confuse the two.

You are in a flailing state of denial.

1. Apparently it's called de-leveling and the goal is minimize both special class offerings for IEP kids and honors level kids.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rhode-...uity-obsession

2. Stop it with the radial right wingers and CRT nonsense. I'm a marginal republican voter who voted for Biden and CRT and it's tentacles bother me.

2.1. If you actually believe the political center of mass per K-12 teachers + academics + political activists isn't well left of political centers you are lost..........and simply dishonest.

3. At this point it seems you don't know what you are talking about per CRT. A central construct of CRT is and always has been counter narrative storytelling/revisionist history.

From the same pro CRT author I noted above......

"For example, a signature of CRT is revisionist history. This method “reexamines America’s historical record” to replace narratives that only reflect the majority perspective with those that include the perspectives and lived experiences of minority populations. In this way revisionist history attempts “to unearth little-known chapters of racial struggle” that can validate the current experiences of minorities and support the desire for change. This is just one example of how CRT can be used to elevate minority voices and work towards equity."

4. CRT is all about purely equitable outcomes defined by race over most all else. Ergo CRT is all about AA.

For a loud voice and defender you seem very much behind the curve.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You keep changing your story. You originally challenged me to "name one" district where CRT was being taught, which I did, and then you adamantly claimed "fake news". Now you admit that you know there are teachers who teach it. You can't have it both ways.

What is the message? That CRT is bad for children. What are the children targets of? CRT. It's that simple.

Like I said in a previous post, if CRT is great then explain what it is. And stop gaslighting people by saying it doesn't exist. If crazy, racist teachers are teaching bad stuff and it's falsely being labelled CRT then you have to reign in those racists and stop them. Because if you on the Left won't stop them, there are plenty of people on the Right who will.
No, I did not admit that I know there are teachers who teach it. I looked back at my reply to see what you might be referring to and assume you mean my statement that, "there are very few teachers teaching it." In the school year 2019–20, there were 3.2 million teachers in public schools in this country. You are going to find some teachers in that group who believe in just about anything. I once encountered a teacher who practiced witchcraft. I am not aware of any teachers teaching CRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You are in a flailing state of denial.

1. Apparently it's called de-leveling and the goal is minimize both special class offerings for IEP kids and honors level kids.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rhode-...uity-obsession

2. Stop it with the radial right wingers and CRT nonsense. I'm a marginal republican voter who voted for Biden and CRT and it's tentacles bother me.

2.1. If you actually believe the political center of mass per K-12 teachers + academics + political activists isn't well left of political centers you are lost..........and simply dishonest.

3. At this point it seems you don't know what you are talking about per CRT. A central construct of CRT is and always has been counter narrative storytelling/revisionist history.

From the same pro CRT author I noted above......

"For example, a signature of CRT is revisionist history. This method “reexamines America’s historical record” to replace narratives that only reflect the majority perspective with those that include the perspectives and lived experiences of minority populations. In this way revisionist history attempts “to unearth little-known chapters of racial struggle” that can validate the current experiences of minorities and support the desire for change. This is just one example of how CRT can be used to elevate minority voices and work towards equity."

4. CRT is all about purely equitable outcomes defined by race over most all else. Ergo CRT is all about AA.

For a loud voice and defender you seem very much behind the curve.
What do you think I'm a defender of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education