Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 10:27 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times

Advertisements

I would suggest, as a compromise, that if the algorithm suspects somebody cheated, but there is no concrete proof, to maybe allow that student to take an in-person exam, where he/she will be supervised. Assuming the student does not cheat, then the student gets either the original grade from the virtual exam or the grade from the in-person exam, whichever is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 10:34 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

But I'm with the other poster who noted the strangeness of pointing out that the girl is black Even the talk later in the article about how the facial recognitions/etc. software doesn't work as effectively on darker-skinned people doesn't justify the mention of the girl's race as there is zero dispute that the girl was looking down before answering her questions.
I think because our current society tends to turn everything into a race / gender issue, even when race and gender have nothing to do with it. I think a major factor is that people are often just told that "life isn't fair" when something like this happens. But if it has even the appearance of being discrimination against a woman or a minority, it turns into a legal issue rather than a "life isn't fair" issue.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:53 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

A. Looking down for more than a second or two is a blazing red flag. Virtually no one does so when concentrating.
I don't agree with that. I am sure I do that all the time when I am trying to remember something.

I will say though, that if I had read the rules of virtual testing, I would be sure not to look down.

I am a rule follower. One has to read and follow rules. I work with the public, I observe a lot of people who think they are entitled and do not have to follow rules.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:58 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't agree with that. I am sure I do that all the time when I am trying to remember something.

I will say though, that if I had read the rules of virtual testing, I would be sure not to look down.

I am a rule follower. One has to read and follow rules. I work with the public, I observe a lot of people who think they are entitled and do not have to follow rules.
The problem is many of these are unconscious habits. It's easy to say "don't look down" or "don't put your hand over your face" or any of numerous other things. But that doesn't mean people will always be thinking that. In the middle of a long test where you mind is on the problem in front of you, pretty much anyone will look up, down, left, right, stretch, yawn, lay back, lay forward and many other things.

I've never cheated on a test in my life and I find the whole "you're guilty; we just haven't caught you approach to be highly offensive."

Old 06-05-2022, 07:33 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The problem is many of these are unconscious habits. It's easy to say "don't look down" or "don't put your hand over your face" or any of numerous other things. But that doesn't mean people will always be thinking that. In the middle of a long test where you mind is on the problem in front of you, pretty much anyone will look up, down, left, right, stretch, yawn, lay back, lay forward and many other things.
I agree. Also telling someone not to do something trivial, often has the opposite unconscious effect.

It's like being on a diet. Normally, 99% of time, I pass a bakery without thinking about stopping in. When I am on a diet, the bakery store-made, crappy cookies suddenly look great - because I know I can't have one.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:41 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I agree. Also telling someone not to do something trivial, often has the opposite unconscious effect.

It's like being on a diet. Normally, 99% of time, I pass a bakery without thinking about stopping in. When I am on a diet, the bakery store-made, crappy cookies suddenly look great - because I know I can't have one.
Dang it. Now I have to go get a cookie.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:04 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Unlikely. When concentrating if you move your head and eyes, you almost certainly look up and right or left.

ETA - Anyway, as I read this she was flagged by the software and the prof. involved concurred with the flagging and almost certainly at least the department head too........that's how this stuff works.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I would imagine any student with ADD or ADHD would be unfairly targeted. I stare into space when I think about things. According to this article, that would be considered cheating.

Never mind, the AI is collecting data on your facial expressions. In the future, who know what that could be used?

It's all so wrong.
I have ADHD and stare out into space all the time. That's how I think. I don't know how anyone stares at a screen for an hour or longer and doesn't look down or off to the side or up. These claims are pretty ridiculous.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:06 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I have ADHD and stare out into space all the time. That's how I think. I don't know how anyone stares at a screen for an hour or longer and doesn't look down or off to the side or up. These claims are pretty ridiculous.
I think some of you all are missing the point, probably on purpose. The young lady in question was flagged by software and more or less convicted by her professor and most likely others reviewing video of what the young lady was doing when looking away.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I think some of you all are missing the point, probably on purpose. The young lady in question was flagged by software and more or less convicted by her professor and most likely others reviewing video of what the young lady was doing when looking away.
What point am I missing? I've taken exams with proctors. I still stared off into space. Other times I stared at the keyboard while I was thinking. I also look up at the ceiling. I can stare for several minutes. That's nothing new for me. Doesn't mean I'm cheating. I'm thinking. My thinking isn't like normally functioning executive function. My mind wanders off and it can take several minutes to get back to my original thought - the question on the screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education