Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 02:34 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I had to wear leather shoes in school. Also wore them at work (loafers) and wear them in the winter.
I have no issues with my legs, knees or feet.
When I went to a dress code school (1974-76) I wore suede shoes, at least part of the time, and changed to sneakers for gym. The rule was "no sneakers" in class or the hallways. My kids also wore rubber-soled "dress shoes" to Catholic school in the 1990's-2010's.

I still wear dress shoes on the occasional day when I also wear a tie to work. Never heard of that being a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 02:36 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Having school uniforms helps security in the schools. Also, bullying tends to decrease.

"Although uniforms have been a mainstay of private schools, public schools didn’t jump on the bandwagon until 1994, when the Long Beach California School District integrated school uniforms to address safety issues challenging the district. According to the school district data, within one year after the implementation of uniforms, the fights and muggings at school decreased by 50%, while sexual offenses were reduced by 74%. Across the country, similar statistics abound; for example, at Ruffner Middle School in Norfolk, VA, the number of discipline referrals decreased by 42% once uniforms were enforced. "

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/b...-pros-and-cons

It's easy to spot a teenager who doesn't belong in the school because they are not wearing a uniform. Hey - what's in that backpack?

Old 06-27-2022, 02:56 PM

I think it's important to note distinctions between a traditional 1950's "Catholic school style" and Year 2022 of the Common Era "public school style" uniform.

Current public school "uniforms", at least in my area, consists of school-colored polo/golf shirt and khakis. The golf shirt can be any color as long as it's maroon, white, gray, or black (no logos allowed). Bottoms (pants or skirts) can be any color as long as it's tan, navy, or black. Local Walmarts, Targets, and other stores are well-stocked in these colors.

The Catholic school in our area requires a sweater and tie during the winter, and that's certainly not a requirement in public school. There is a specialized Catholic school vendor that serves all the schools in the area.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:19 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Only thing I don't like about dresscode is that some schools are plain idiots and enforce leather shoes.
Leather shoes are very bad for kids knees....excessive wear would result in knee problems much later on in their lives.
Leather soled, maybe, but nothing wrong with leather shoes, and I've never seen a dress code that specified leather soled shoes. I've had very comfortable and even orthotic leather shoes.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:02 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think it's important to note distinctions between a traditional 1950's "Catholic school style" and Year 2022 of the Common Era "public school style" uniform.

Current public school "uniforms", at least in my area, consists of school-colored polo/golf shirt and khakis. The golf shirt can be any color as long as it's maroon, white, gray, or black (no logos allowed). Bottoms (pants or skirts) can be any color as long as it's tan, navy, or black. Local Walmarts, Targets, and other stores are well-stocked in these colors.

The Catholic school in our area requires a sweater and tie during the winter, and that's certainly not a requirement in public school. There is a specialized Catholic school vendor that serves all the schools in the area.
Too many choices. A stranger wouldn't stick out.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:03 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I don't have a problem with uniforms as long as all uniform options are available to all students regardless of gender.
I doubt they would let the boys wear dresses, skirts or jumpers.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Too many choices. A stranger wouldn't stick out.
That's not the point of public school uniforms. It's to engender a feeling of community and to stop kids getting bullied or feeling harassed into trends or wearing expensive brands that the family can't afford.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I doubt they would let the boys wear dresses, skirts or jumpers.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/190181...ts-not-shorts/
Attached Thumbnails
Mandatory School Uniforms-boys-skirts.jpg  

Old 06-27-2022, 06:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
"Leather shoes are bad for kids' knees"? Huh???

I attended a parochial school, and - in retrospect - I think uniforms were great. They weren't particularly expensive bought new, but we mostly bought used from other parents with older kids. IIRC, shoes were left to our own discretion and were the one exciting purchase every autumn. While working, I always found it a pain to have to come up with a new outfit every day and envied those who wore scrubs or some other uniform to work!

Old 06-27-2022, 07:36 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's the UK for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education