Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times

Advertisements

I respect the other posters on this, but I also respectfully disagree.

The problem is that, once they've shifted gears into playtime, it's awfully hard to get them back into homework mode. Instead, by having them complete their homework upon getting home, it teaches them to be more efficient in getting their work done, rather than teaching procrastination.

Second, going out and playing for an hour and then hitting the books complicates matters a great deal around dinner time. Suddenly, while you're in the middle of cooking dinner, you have to stop what you're doing to supervise homework. The dinner table is loaded down with books, and the children are unavailable to help set the table, etc.

Now, a little common sense is called for. If there's a huge wad of homework that day, it's totally appropriate to let them get some of it done, then go play, and then come back to complete it. But my kids go to one of the top public schools systems in the country, and still only average one hour of homework a night. That leaves 2 to 2.5 hours of playtime between finishing homework and sitting down for the evening meal.

Doing homework first also stresses literally that schoolwork comes first, no matter what. It's a nice psychological signal to kids about what's paramount in the parent's universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
My kids get home at 3:30, have a snack, then do homework. This works well for us. I'm glad too as the homework is out of the way. Also, if it takes longer than expected, it isn't an issue. Depending on weather, they got outside for a while before or after dinner to burn some energy. Easier to get them to bed!

I think each kid is different, but I do think most kids thrive better with a routine. I know for my kids, routine works well. They sleep well, and rarely, if ever, get sick.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 14,317 times
i don't my homework... hehe but someday, when i have children... i don't want them to do what i did... am i selfish or what... (^_^)

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
My kids get home at 3:30, have a snack, then do homework. This works well for us. I'm glad too as the homework is out of the way. Also, if it takes longer than expected, it isn't an issue. Depending on weather, they got outside for a while before or after dinner to burn some energy. Easier to get them to bed!

I think each kid is different, but I do think most kids thrive better with a routine. I know for my kids, routine works well. They sleep well, and rarely, if ever, get sick.
This worked well for us too. A few thoughts
1) I wanted them to get a break but then I realized by the time they
got home, got a snack that 1 hr had elapsed from dismissal time ,so really they had a break.
2) At our house it was so great to have homework all done by the time their dad came home from work. Nothing is worse than telling a kid he needs to stop playing ball with dad to come do homework (Sometimes I wonder which is more important)....... or we could go eat , and enjoy family time after dinner!!
3) My kids got tired by 6 or 7 and homework was alot harder to get done by this time.
4) if they had more work than usual there was time to get that last
assignment done later, or call out those spelling words. Sometimes they would leave a reading assignment for later( as they got older)
5) they loved going out to play knowing all their work was done.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:08 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
I didn't think we were trying to come to an agreement about what is the BEST method to get children to do their homework, I thought we were simply saying what worked for our own families. My kids are past the point (one is a teacher herself!) of me having any input into their homework, but having them start their homework around the time I started dinner worked for us. I had no problem having them close their books in time to set the table and then finish up after dinner.

Of course, if there were scouts or sports, everything changes.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM

77 posts, read 385,516 times
My children do their homework right after school or it will never get done. Besides, they need to know who is incharge. I feel if you let them play when they want, they'll walk all over you.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
My children do their homework after dinner for a couple reasons:
1) it gets dark early in the winter so they don't go outside after dinner - and I like to keep a familiar routine year round
2) my kids would "rush" to get their homework done so they could go outside and ultimately not do their best without me pushing them
3) i think it's a good test to their knowledge of the subject if they can get away from the work and then come back to it later
4) After dinner it's quiet (no kids outside, etc) an therefore creates a better enviornment for homework and studying
5) transitioning to night and bed time is much easier after dinner and homework and "down time" or quiet time then pulling kids in from outside and/or playing with friends
6) most sports take place after school so this again falls into line with routine. * of course minor adjustments are made if their is an activity that takes place in the evening and they won't have time to get their work done later. If they will be out for dinner then homework is done first, but my kids understand that and the reason.
**if they have a huge assignment and it's not done before bed they have to stay up and get it done and they could be tired in the morning - but they still get up. This has happened a couple times and they learned they don't like it - and with this they also learn that homework is important and MUST be done. i don't think setting a time right after school for homework teaches them any more the importance of it than later in the afternoon/evening.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
Hi, we are parents of young children so we haven't dealt with school homework yet but I want to gather information ahead of time. I hear about people saying the rule in their house is homework must be completed right when they get home from school and they can't play until it's done. I think on paper, that sounds like a great policy but I can't help but think maybe kids need a little down time after school? I think back to when I was growing up, it seemed like we played after school, did some homework before dinner and then some more homework after dinner. But as an adult, I'm also somewhat of a procrastinator so maybe that wasn't the best routine? I remember when I was in fourth or fifth grade coming home from school and taking a long bike ride every day before doing homework. I found it so relaxing and I really enjoyed that time to "clear my head". I'm not sure I would have been as productive if I has to get right to homework. Also, in Wisconsin, it gets so dark so early in the wintertime, I feel like if we had that rule, they'd never get to play outside after school if they did homework first because it starts getting dark at 4:30. Please share your thoughts on this....I'm an open slate when it comes to all this school stuff! I want to start good habits early.
The best time to practice anything is right after you learn it. My dd takes piano lessons and she comes home from her lesson and does an hour practice because what she just learned is fresh in her mind. If your child waits, they often forget what they were supposed to practice. I vote for homework right after school. That's what we did with our dd's when they were younger. We now leave it up to them (both in high school as of next year ).

Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 AM

40 posts, read 140,837 times
Personally, it varies from child to child. Some children may perform much better when the information is fresh on their mind and prefer to do homework right away. Others, need time to relax for a bit and perform much better, after they have had an opportunity to take a break. Also, some parents may not be able to provide assistance with homework directly after school. Therefore, it is best to delay this task until mom or dad is free to devote their attention, if help is required.

Do whatever is right for you and your family. Glad these days are long over for me

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,226 times
My grade school kids do their homework right when they get home from school (or in their after school program on the days I'm working). We all sit at the kitchen table together, have snacks, and they complete their homework. It's nice. It's a well-oiled machine, so to speak, that we've worked out. We get to talk about their school days, snack a little, and complete homework.

Then after they complete their work, they can go outside and play. Work first, play later is our philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education