Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 08:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Over in another threat, Annandale-Man raised this point.

I think that's an interesting point because while on the one hand we may want to ignore it, on the other hand HR and others don't, esp when it comes to that critical first or second job after graduation. I know for example that our HR uses it both as a filter and a rank order when presenting candidates to us, and as a sorting gate for what the max is they will offer a new candidate.

For certain jobs designed specifically for new graduates, they will filter out those below 3.0 and use GPA in their ordering of candidates. We don't have to follow their ranking but can't hire below 3.0 into these jobs.

For other jobs we can go below 3.0 but they will get offered a lower entry pay scale. Basically, giving them a year to prove their ability before they can move into the engineer pay scale even though they have an engineering degree.

I'm kind of torn by the whole thing with my biggest thought/concern being where someone got that GPA rather than the absolute value of it. Is a 3.5 from Tennessee Tech equal to a 3.5 from Georgia Tech? Does a 2.9 from TAMU beat a 3.1 from Alabama? Why would a 3.9 from CalTech even consider the job? Does Army beat Navy?
Striving for having a high GPA helps one work on goals for the future. Some don't mature that fast, but I think a higher GPA is great and does help, but it isn't the end all. If you mature late, you can make it up. It is just harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 08:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Of course, my guidance counselors brainwashed many students (not me) into believing that loans are free money and somehow better than grants or scholarships.
I take it this was a for-profit university? Because I can't think of any legit university that A) has 'guidance counselors' B)has anything like a counselor role to explain basic terms like what a loan means C)has students that need something basic like this explained to them or could be gullible enough to believe that a loan is free money.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:59 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Just to bring this back on track, we're discussing this specific high school senior you referenced in your initial post (original post below for reference). He had more choices than others as his parents had lots of money (or at least very high incomes).
No, this thread is about whether or not GPA matters outside of academia. It's not about the financial aid situation of one particular poster who hasn't even posted in this thread. I did not get the impression at all that he was rich.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I take it this was a for-profit university? Because I can't think of any legit university that A) has 'guidance counselors' B)has anything like a counselor role to explain basic terms like what a loan means C)has students that need something basic like this explained to them or could be gullible enough to believe that a loan is free money.
No, I was talking about the advice given by my high school. And the gullible people who fell for it were high achieving students with GPAs higher than 4.0. Our principal actually told us to go to the most expensive college that we can get into. The only thing my high school cared about was getting students to attend prestigious universities. The fact that so many students with GPA's above 4.0 fell for that is further evidence that GPA is a measure of how obedient you are rather than how smart you are.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
No, this thread is about whether or not GPA matters outside of academia. It's not about the financial aid situation of one particular poster who hasn't even posted in this thread. I did not get the impression at all that he was rich.
I was responding to your specific post in this thread... not the entire thread.

I was informing you that since the person who were referencing has a wealthy background (based on the information you provided), that person has other options not available to everyone. GPA is useful for different people in different ways (and for some, not useful at all). Not everyone's situation is the same.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:16 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Well, after reading gobs of resumes, my eyes hurt. Here's how most of the resumes looked:

Name
University
Degree & Date of Graduation

Generic statement about how they want to use their skills to help the company and grow their knowledge.

Course list. (Why? Everyone with that degree has pretty much the same courses. They all know MS Office & MATLAB)

Internships (if any)

Senior Project (everyone has a senior project. A very, very few listed actual work they had done under a professor/published. Too few to make a difference)

Work History (typical jobs we've all held -- fast food, retail, etc)

Extracurriculars (sports, band, Scouts, etc. In many cases these were the only things to distinguish one applicant from another)

Folks, if you're in college getting a STEM degree, get good internships, look for a professor to do research under, and get involved with something -- professional society, church, youth, something that shows leadership and involvement beyond classes. Because 90% of your competition for that first job WON'T so these will set you apart.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:52 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
I think it depends on the particular career field & specific job.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I was responding to your specific post in this thread... not the entire thread.

I was informing you that since the person who were referencing has a wealthy background (based on the information you provided), that person has other options not available to everyone. GPA is useful for different people in different ways (and for some, not useful at all). Not everyone's situation is the same.
We’re just going to have to agree to disagree.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:47 AM

863 posts, read 865,865 times
Quote:
Folks, if you're in college getting a STEM degree, get good internships, look for a professor to do research under, and get involved with something -- professional society, church, youth, something that shows leadership and involvement beyond classes. Because 90% of your competition for that first job WON'T so these will set you apart.
All of the above especially internships. Internships are essential to landing betters jobs in the STEM fields.

GPA is extremely important in professional fields, particularly for those first few jobs after graduation. It fades away with experience and is replaced by your professional reputation.

When reviewing resumes and interviewing I look at GPA in context of the rest of their resume and then in how the person interviews. In general, a higher GPA is good, but a 4.0 is a caution symbol.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Well, after reading gobs of resumes, my eyes hurt. Here's how most of the resumes looked:

Name
University
Degree & Date of Graduation

Generic statement about how they want to use their skills to help the company and grow their knowledge.

Course list. (Why? Everyone with that degree has pretty much the same courses. They all know MS Office & MATLAB)

Internships (if any)

Senior Project (everyone has a senior project. A very, very few listed actual work they had done under a professor/published. Too few to make a difference)

Work History (typical jobs we've all held -- fast food, retail, etc)

Extracurriculars (sports, band, Scouts, etc. In many cases these were the only things to distinguish one applicant from another)

Unfortunately, all schools and all programs don't offer internships or research opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education