Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 01:41 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
More reading miscomprehension on your part. Where did anyone say people with low GPAs or people without advanced degrees are "screwed"? I swear y'all can't read.
I think maybe the problem is that you're not comprehending your own writing.

Quote:
I noticed that the OP did say "unless you plan to go to grad school." That's becoming an ever greater share of the population since a bachelor's degree today is practically the new high school diploma. In nearly every major metro area, which is where the best jobs are, there's going to be a much higher percentage of grads with advanced degrees, and they get paid significantly more than people with only a bachelor's degree. It's almost mandatory for the vast majority of people today. That is, if they aspire to greater heights than human resources or the call center.
You literally said yourself that "it's almost mandatory for the vast majority of people today" to have an advanced degree if they live in a major metro area if they want anything other than human resources or call center work.

You literally said those words. It's not us who can't understand your words, I think you're having trouble understanding your own words.

Also, you are 100% incorrect in your assertion. Just thought I'd put that out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 01:43 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Male Earnings at Age 45 By Educational Attainment

HS Diploma - $49,305
Some college - $56,496
Associate's - $63,835
Bachelor's - $105,866
Master's - $126,964
Professional - $213,269

Old 08-23-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Male Earnings at Age 45 By Educational Attainment

HS Diploma - $49,305
Some college - $56,496
Associate's - $63,835
Bachelor's - $105,866
Master's - $126,964
Professional - $213,269
Generic numbers like that are meaningless. Geography plays a part. Field plays a part, regardless of degree. Not every person with a bachelor's degree is earning $105k. Some are making more, some are making less.

Also, if you're making $105k with a bachelor's degree and you're boo-hooing that it's not enough, then you need to consider some major life changes, as it is well above the national median household income. Furthermore, if you think that $20k (+20%) on top of your six figure salary is going to be the "game changer" then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Also, this has nothing to do with your blatant contradictions above that it's Master's degree or bust if you live in a major metro area.

What I'm gathering from this conversation is a lot fear, insecurity, and ignorance. As in, if I don't have these things, I'm going to be a failure and nobody is going to like me or marry me or whatever.

You're just wrong though.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:51 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
What I'm gathering from this conversation is a lot fear, insecurity, and ignorance. As in, if I don't have these things, I'm going to be a failure and nobody is going to like me or marry me or whatever.
Sounds like you have a lot of insecurities. I wish nothing but the best for you, G.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you have a lot of insecurities. I wish nothing but the best for you, G.
Sure, I have some insecurities. But I'm also not on forums blabbering on about how GPAs from undergrad decades ago is the thing that's going to hold me back. That sounds like a lot of other people's insecurities.

I own a home, no debt other than mortgage, married, bachelor's from top school (not a high GPA) + working on a master's (4.0 GPA). I have some insecurities, but it's none of the things mentioned here.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:56 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Top this, top that.

99% of the people posting on this forum did not go to top schools, nor do they work at top organizations, nor are they at the top of any ladders. The vast majority of them are middle managers, ICs, and everything else in the middle and below. We have a handful of "CEOs" who ran off and started their small mom&pop business and are moderately successful. I think we have a couple college professors that teach at some generic state schools.

Most people in "the middle" are living just fine as is showcased on this forum.

Per undergrad, "top schools" either don't matter at all or at best far less than most people believe. However, the point is students who earn great marks in college tend to do better over time than others.

Further, your 99% claim is way off.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
GPA became obsolete when people started showing up and telling us they had a 4.9 or a 5.6...

IF we are looking at new graduates, we look at course work, course grades, school, work exposure, volunteer work and intern activities. Anything that is REAL. Not some hodge-podge GPA Calculation. We want the person; not the falsely created numerical statistic.
Way overstated. Per fresh grads lots of companies will not consider applicants below certain GPA cutoffs.

Anyway how can GPA be obsolete and yet you also look at grades?

Old 08-23-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Per undergrad, "top schools" either don't matter at all or at best far less than most people believe. However, the point is students who earn great marks in college tend to do better over time than others.

Further, your 99% claim is way off.
Sure, and people who live active lives "tend" to live better and longer lives than people who don't, but not always. Tell me some actual news.

And I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you believe that the top .5% of the global population that fits that criteria is hanging out en masse on CDF. Lol. Please, do tell. You clearly know something I don't. Who runs this board? The Illuminati?

Aren't you an adjunct econ professor at some state uni in Texas? Where are all the Ivy educated CEOs that are both crushing it and have time to post on CDF?

Last edited by modest; 08-23-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
This thread is only useful to those fresh new grads who aspire to work at top consulting firms like Bain Capital and eventually become a CEO at a blue chip unicorn or F100.

For everyone else, it is completely irrelevant.
You are dreaming.

My wife is a recently retired CIO/COO.......she enforced very high fresh grad GPA thresholds (for engineers, IT types, computer science etc.) and outside her industry no one knows the name of her company.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds_ View Post
you are dreaming.

My wife is a recently retired cio/coo.......she enforced very high fresh grad gpa thresholds (for engineers, it types, computer science etc.) and outside her industry no one knows the name of her company.
a-n-e-c-d-o-t-a-l

The unemployment rate for bachelor's degree holders is ~3.7%. The median salary for BA/BS degree holders is around $65k per annum, which is not actually that bad in most of the US, especially if you're dual income, which would put you in the top 15% of household incomes. Not all those people were 4.0s from Ivies.

It's shocking how the economy even functions with the lack of 4.0s from Ivies, since apparently that's the only people who are considered for jobs.

Last edited by modest; 08-23-2022 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education