Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 12:47 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What do you consider "usurious" rates? My kids are paying between 3.76% and 5.05% on Stafford loans taken out in the 2010's. Are older loans higher?

I suppose it would be nice to allow borrowers to refinance Stafford loans if rates drop, though that's going to be a moot point for a few years now.
My son was paying unsubsidized Stafford, IRRC, 4%. to 1.25%, 2002-2006. He saw declining rates. Refinanced in a consolidation ~3% +/-, 15 yr amortization. We are paying consolidated PLUS @2.875%.till we are 82/79 , 2029, 25 yr amort.
YLMV.

Consolidation was then based on the weighted average of outstanding staffords.

YLMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 06:41 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
My son was paying unsubsidized Stafford, IRRC, 4%. to 1.25%, 2002-2006. He saw declining rates. Refinanced in a consolidation ~3% +/-, 15 yr amortization. We are paying consolidated PLUS @2.875%.till we are 82/79 , 2029, 25 yr amort.
YLMV.

Consolidation was then based on the weighted average of outstanding staffords.

YLMV
Thanks for the reply. I consider my kids' Stafford rates of 3.76%-5.05% pretty reasonable considering the direction rates are heading now.

It's tough to keep all this stuff straight when people toss around figures like 9.0% without specifying which type of loan they are talking about, what year it's from, and whether it's public or private.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:05 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
.....suffered all these years of usurious interest and misdirect......
These are unsecured loans. Right now unsecured loan rates are between 11 and 32%. If anything, student loan interest rates are dangerously low. Would you loan someone tens of thousands of dollars to major in liberal arts, which means they'll be folding clothes at the Gap for the rest of their lives? Student loans should be underwritten like any other loan. If they were, we wouldn't be in the current situation.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:53 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Never had any debt. I had good grades and a 34 on the ACT, but got rejected from all my prestigious reach schools --- I didn't really have an "angle" that appeals to admissions officers, and I was young and arrogant and probably came off that way in my essays. So I went to a decent-but-not-great state school for free.

I guess I see both sides of this. It seems like complete debt relief --- even if just done as a one-time payment --- would encourage more people to get degrees the job market doesn't need, and encourage colleges to keep jacking up tuition. But obviously crippling the consumption of people with degrees, because they have almost no discretionary income, isn't great for the economy either. The $10k relief is probably fine, but it's a band-aid that I wouldn't expect to have much long-term effect on college costs, the economy, or people's living standards.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:45 AM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Lol, what? The applications open in October for the program. It's said that the process for approval will take 4-6 weeks. By December, most will have been forgiven.

It is not a matter of if, but when.

At this point, it will be career suicide for any candidate to not back this sort of relief program. The only ones I could foresee surviving that storm are the reps from extremely rural, red parts of the country.

It's the same reason why you'll never see a repeal of Medicare or Medicaid or SSI. It's all talk. No one (of material importance) is going to stand in the way of this going through. They will be annihilated in their next election.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...er-is-illegal/

Congress has not voted for this and will not likely vote on it anytime soon. If Biden goes ahead with an illegal executive order it will likely end up in court.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:02 AM

43,103 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...er-is-illegal/

Congress has not voted for this and will not likely vote on it anytime soon. If Biden goes ahead with an illegal executive order it will likely end up in court.
The EO has not been published either on the WH website or the Federal Register.
Nothing can happen until after that.

It's been over 1 month now

Old 09-21-2022, 11:06 AM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The EO has not been published either on the WH website or the Federal Register.
Nothing can happen until after that.

It's been over 1 month now
I'm sure we'll hear something after the mid-term elections when Biden and the democrats no longer need the votes he is "buying" with this illegal scheme.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:08 AM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Student loan forgiveness is not going to happen without congress. Biden can NOT spend billions with an executive order. He proposed this in order to gain dem votes in the mid-term elections. He can't do it and it will be swept under the rug in December. Good luck all.
Yep. Biden is lying in an attempt to get votes...again.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
These are unsecured loans. Right now unsecured loan rates are between 11 and 32%. If anything, student loan interest rates are dangerously low. Would you loan someone tens of thousands of dollars to major in liberal arts, which means they'll be folding clothes at the Gap for the rest of their lives? Student loans should be underwritten like any other loan. If they were, we wouldn't be in the current situation.
It’s totally amazing that I work with a lot of people in the federal government with just a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts who are now making six figures. They did start out at low pay, but were able to work their way up over time. The idea that there is a plethora of people working in retail/food with a bachelor’s degree who cant find anything else is a myth. I did have one friend who worked in a restaurant, but she actually kept that job after she started in teaching because it was a part-time job in a tourist location that paid very well. She was doing that job because she WANTED to, not because she couldn’t find anything else.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:33 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It’s totally amazing that I work with a lot of people in the federal government with just a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts who are now making six figures. They did start out at low pay, but were able to work their way up over time. The idea that there is a plethora of people working in retail/food with a bachelor’s degree who cant find anything else is a myth. I did have one friend who worked in a restaurant, but she actually kept that job after she started in teaching because it was a part-time job in a tourist location that paid very well. She was doing that job because she WANTED to, not because she couldn’t find anything else.
If things are so great then why do 43 million college graduates and dropouts need a bailout from the government? It doesn't make any sense.

We have record low unemployment but people can't pay their student loans. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education