Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 05:21 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

It will most likely help 2 of my grandchildren who are paying off student loans. Their older brother has already paid off his. I guess he’s just a ******?

What a great thing to teach our kids...that working people who pay taxes should pick up the bill for other people’s kids college. It’s right in line with what theyve already learned, like if their school doesn’t feed them breakfast and lunch they will starve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 05:27 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Do any of you follow Heather Cox Richardson? She's a Historian and a College professor who writes daily pieces tying what's going on today with it's historical context. Today's piece touched on Biden's student loan forgiveness: https://www.facebook.com/heathercoxrichardson
Quote:
The Department of Education estimates that almost 90% of the relief in the measure will go to those earning less than $75,000 a year, and about 43 million borrowers will benefit from the plan.
Opponents of the plan worry that it will be inflationary and that it will not address the skyrocketing cost of four-year colleges. But its supporters worry that the education debt crisis locks people into poverty. They also note that there was very little objection to the forgiveness of 10.2 million Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans issued as of July 2022, with $72,500 being the average dollar amount forgiven.
I am in favor of this because I know many people who work full time but still have a student loan debt that is enough that they cannot save to buy a house. This will make a significant impact.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:30 AM

984 posts, read 441,402 times
It doesn't affect me; my minimal loans were paid off long ago. But I'm happy for those it helps! I'd much rather see money going help families and individuals, particularly those from lower socioeconomic classes, than have it go to yet another corporate tax break.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:32 AM

984 posts, read 441,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It will most likely help 2 of my grandchildren who are paying off student loans. Their older brother has already paid off his. I guess he’s just a ******?

What a great thing to teach our kids...that working people who pay taxes should pick up the bill for other people’s kids college. It’s right in line with what theyve already learned, like if their school doesn’t feed them breakfast and lunch they will starve.
It is a good thing to teach kids. We all help each other. Since you'd apparently like to see children from poor families literally go hungry all day, though, I can see how this wouldn't be a lesson you agree with.

I'm glad for your grandchildren who are paying off their loans. And I'm also glad for your other grandchild who had the means to pay his off. Great news all around!

Old 08-25-2022, 05:54 AM

491 posts, read 393,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
"Just to be clear, there is no plan to eliminate the student debt. There is a plan to transfer that debt to those that don't owe it."

Observed on a meme.

To the clod who sent the below comment to me in private. You do realize I was just giving credit to someone else that created it or are you not educated well enough to understand this? Do I know for a fact it is true but it does stand to reason that someone will be paying this off and I am fairly certain the billionaires in this country will not. Is this something you can understand? Did I dumb it down enough?

"If it's on a meme, you know it's gotta be true, amirite! LMAO"

Old 08-25-2022, 06:07 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,256,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
... Forgiveness without waiver of the accumulated interest and debt collection fees makes this plan hollow...
Wait a minute... what? They'll do away with the principle (Aunt Nancy doesn't like 'forgive' because it's indiciative of a 'transgression') but people are still on the hook for interest and deadbeat fees?

I'll whine a lilttle bit less about how unfair it is to all the responsible people who PAID their loans knowing this.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:16 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
It is a good thing to teach kids. We all help each other. Since you'd apparently like to see children from poor families literally go hungry all day, though, I can see how this wouldn't be a lesson you agree with.

I'm glad for your grandchildren who are paying off their loans. And I'm also glad for your other grandchild who had the means to pay his off. Great news all around!
There are better ways to help with education. My state has a thing called Hope Scholarships, which gives grants to students who maintain certain grade point averages. I don’t object to my tax dollars going to this at all. It requires personal responsibility.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I don't guess it helps those of us who worked 30 to 40 hours a week while going to school full time so that we didn't have to take out loans.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Oh and I always think about my brother during these conversations. He didn't take out any loans because my parents were wealthy by the time he went to college and they paid for everything (he's ten years younger than me - they were not nearly as helpful with me). I remember very distinctly that he 1) didn't work through college at all and 2) told my parents, who believed him, that he needed a credit card to eat his meals outside the cafeteria because the cafeteria food upset his stomach.

Anyway, things that make you go Hmmmmmm.....

Old 08-25-2022, 06:53 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
Going forward, what is the plan for future college students? I have a son in high school. Will the government give him a free or mostly free tuition or are future generations screwed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education