Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2022, 12:52 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Did these states tax stimulus checks? This is a state issue.
I don't know, did they? Are you trying to say that since the plaintiffs didn't complain about getting state-taxed on stimulus money, they can't complain about student loan money getting taxed? I can see the point there, if that's true. Anyway I'm not arguing their case; just saying I sympathize with their situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 01:14 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,807,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I don't know, did they? Are you trying to say that since the plaintiffs didn't complain about getting state-taxed on stimulus money, they can't complain about student loan money getting taxed? I can see the point there, if that's true. Anyway I'm not arguing their case; just saying I sympathize with their situation.
I was just curious. I'm not saying that.

But if plaintiffs have an issue with state taxes, they need to handle that with the state. If this is going to cause harm someone by creating a state tax liability, they should not apply for the forgiveness. People need to do what's best for them.

Perhaps states could help out their residents by setting up a payment program for the taxes that would allow people to pay in the similar amount as they were paying their student loans already. That way the tax hungry states get the extra taxes they want while allowing the borrower to take advantage of the forgiveness.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:16 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,264 times
Quote:

But if plaintiffs have an issue with state taxes, they need to handle that with the state. If this is going to cause harm someone by creating a state tax liability, they should not apply for the forgiveness. People need to do what's best for them.

Perhaps states could help out their residents by setting up a payment program for the taxes that would allow people to pay in the similar amount as they were paying their student loans already. That way the tax hungry states get the extra taxes they want while allowing the borrower to take advantage of the forgiveness.
That's exactly it in this case. The relief is for the plaintiff not to apply for forgiveness and to continue with their existing plan, an action that they can take independent of the federal government.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:35 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:

Forgiveness and handouts should not exist, period, end of story.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:14 PM

142 posts, read 156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
This is not how the government in the United States works. The states' ability to tax their people has no bearing on handouts from the federal government. They are decisions made via relatively independent governments.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:43 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAlot View Post
This is not how the government in the United States works. The states' ability to tax their people has no bearing on handouts from the federal government. They are decisions made via relatively independent governments.
No handouts from any level of government should ever exist.

No handouts = no tax consequences.

If Biden wants to forgive student loans, he needs to pay for it out of his own pocket.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:16 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Update. It's illegal again.

Quote:
A U.S. District Court in Texas on Thursday night blocked President Joe Biden's student loan forgiveness program on the grounds that the administration didn't have the authority to act.

The fresh injunction is in addition to a block from the Eighth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which put the program on hold nearly three weeks ago while it considered a separate lawsuit brought by six states challenging the program and the president's authority to act.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...t/10664760002/

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Agreed and well stated. The economy would collapse if no one ever had to pay back their loans.

Weaponizing personal debt into political votes is absurd.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:59 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Agreed and well stated. The economy would collapse if no one ever had to pay back their loans.

Weaponizing personal debt into political votes is absurd.
True but this ruling comes 1 day after the election so it accomplished what it set out to do.

Buy Democrat votes.

Old 11-12-2022, 04:48 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
even nasty p lousy knows it's not legal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DogRightG...81791687512064

Old 11-12-2022, 08:10 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
True but this ruling comes 1 day after the election so it accomplished what it set out to do.

Buy Democrat votes.
Exactly that. FWIW the EO never appeared on whitehouse.gov or was published in the Federal Register.
They knew it wouldn't hold water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education