Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 09:10 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You did not understand one word of what I wrote. Not one. And then drag in your experience which adds nothing to the conversation and which, as usual, rehashes decades old grievances.

Who gives a **** that your Vice Principal was also AP Coordinator, to use but one irrelevant example, gave you detention? That has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the point of any of this discussion.
And, when he posts that over and over again, we're only hearing one side of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 09:32 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And, when he posts that over and over again, we're only hearing one side of the story.
Same as when you or anybody else posts. We only hear one side of the story.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:33 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I received a talking-to at work a couple of years before retiring because the new young employees didn't find me "approachable" (that is, I wouldn't coddle them and sugarcoat things). Part of my job, sadly, included correcting their writing and, since most emerged from college only semi-literate, there was quite a lot of correcting to be done. Apparently, I "intimidated" them and they were "afraid of" me. My work style and personality had not changed in 30 years; only the caliber of new hires. It's not just a snowflake; it's a blizzard.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I received a talking-to at work a couple of years before retiring because the new young employees didn't find me "approachable" (that is, I wouldn't coddle them and sugarcoat things). Part of my job, sadly, included correcting their writing and, since most emerged from college only semi-literate, there was quite a lot of correcting to be done. Apparently, I "intimidated" them and they were "afraid of" me. My work style and personality had not changed in 30 years; only the caliber of new hires. It's not just a snowflake; it's a blizzard.
Maybe that was part of the problem.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:58 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I'm still curious: what is the difference between a customer vs a clienet?
Basically none. A client is basically a customer who is buying a professional service. Typically law, medicine, engineering, accountant, etc where there is special knowledge and a special duty and trust on the professional.

Other than that really no difference. Though you can sue like for malpractice.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Basically none. A client is basically a customer who is buying a professional service. Typically law, medicine, engineering, accountant, etc where there is special knowledge and a special duty and trust on the professional.

Other than that really no difference. Though you can sue like for malpractice.
It depends on how you are defining "professional service".

Old 10-18-2022, 10:15 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So they essentially demanded that you hold your students to a lower standard and coddle them? How is that supposed to prepare them for life which will be far less forgiving? Unreal.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
So they essentially demanded that you hold your students to a lower standard and coddle them? How is that supposed to prepare them for life which will be far less forgiving? Unreal.
This was at his work, they were not his students. They were younger employees.

You don't think that employers have the right to set the tone of and in a business?

Old 10-18-2022, 10:41 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Interestingly, it was real life, not college. The people otter was correcting were in their first job after graduating, I gather. It sounds like it was necessary to practically provide remedial grammar and writing lessons on the job (something they should have learned in highschool, but that's not a realistic expectation these days), which otter essentially did in some form, but was chastised for.

The kids weren't comfortable with finding out time and again, that they had far sub-par writing skills. Apparently their professors never told them. The profs should have referred all of them to the college writing lab for help, or to a remedial English course.

How did they even qualify to be hired in the first place?

Old 10-18-2022, 10:44 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
They were my coworkers whose work I was tasked with cleaning up. It was all electronic, so there was no "tone" being set. I made the same corrections and suggestions I had always made, for which employees 20 or 30 years ago were grateful and took gracefully. It's just that today's new hires are apparently offended by and unable to handle any perceived criticism, however well-deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education