Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 12:26 PM

383 posts, read 181,133 times

Advertisements

This is... exactly what we need less of. Aren't we in the middle of a teacher shortage, too?

Carlos Mencia joked about this twenty years ago with his "Dee Dee Dee" song and it seems to have gotten worse since then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 12:37 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
This is... exactly what we need less of. Aren't we in the middle of a teacher shortage, too?

Carlos Mencia joked about this twenty years ago with his "Dee Dee Dee" song and it seems to have gotten worse since then
Unclear what you're saying.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:55 PM

8,056 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This sounds to me like kids who've been incessantly praised and coddled all their lives and are destined to be jolted by the working world.
Wrong. They are destined to be coddled in the working world, too. That is, if the employer wants a good ESG score to show their stockholders and any government officials who demand to see them.

Rather, this ex-professor is getting a taste of the Real New World.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Unclear what you're saying.

Which part?

Old 10-11-2022, 01:12 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
Which part?
What was the point you were trying to make?

Old 10-11-2022, 01:13 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Organic Chemistry is the weed out class for pre-med. It's always been impossible to pass - even back in the 1980's. Many students failed the course on a regular basis. It made sure only the best students went on to finish pre-med.
I knew people in the 1970s that Organic make cry.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What was the point you were trying to make?

That our population is (purposely?) being "dumbed down"

Old 10-11-2022, 01:22 PM

35,036 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
There are so many disturbing aspects to this, but it caught my attention that the students objected to the professor seeming condescending and demanding. This sounds to me like kids who've been incessantly praised and coddled all their lives and are destined to be jolted by the working world.

At N.Y.U., Students Were Failing Organic Chemistry. Who Was to Blame?
Maitland Jones Jr., a respected professor, defended his standards. But students started a petition, and the university dismissed him.

“Students were misreading exam questions at an astonishing rate,” he wrote in a grievance to the university, protesting his termination. Grades fell even as he reduced the difficulty of his exams. The problem was exacerbated by the pandemic, he said. “In the last two years, they fell off a cliff,” he wrote. “We now see single digit scores and even zeros." After several years of Covid learning loss, the students not only didn’t study, they didn’t seem to know how to study, Dr. Jones said.
And, they said, he had a “condescending and demanding” tone.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/u...-petition.html
I read the story and normally I would side with the professor, even though it was Chem 208 that blew me out of pre-med. However, if the failure or low-grade rate was overwhelming questions need to be asked on all sides.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:05 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I knew people in the 1970s that Organic make cry.
I knew someone who was determined to get into the medical field. He flunked out the first time he took Organic Chem. He kept re-taking it, in different medical schools. He switched to a naturopathic specialty school, and flunked out again. Later, he switched to Osteopathy in yet another school, and that time, he passed it, and got his degree. That was back in the 80's/90's. He's had a successful practice ever since.

I don't know the details, as to whether he just kept banging his head on the same wall, and it eventually gave in, or if the 3rd time around he got an instructor who approached it differently (like the prof. in the OP). That's quite a show of determination. He knew what field he wanted to be in, and he wouldn't let the weed-out class best him.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:39 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
There are so many disturbing aspects to this, but it caught my attention that the students objected to the professor seeming condescending and demanding. This sounds to me like kids who've been incessantly praised and coddled all their lives and are destined to be jolted by the working world.
NYU has an undergrad enrollment of 30K students (or close to it.) Presumably, this professor isn't the only instructor teaching organic chemistry. Presumably, the department and administration have reference points for comparison. Even in a tough weed-out class like organic chemistry, four instructors teach 50 kids each, and one of them has a 10% pass rate and the rest have a 50% pass rate, that's a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education