Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 08:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,608,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
If they cannot afford to hire faculty who can actually teach, given the tuition that they charge, then the colleges seriously need to rethink their money management. Everybody else is forced to do more with less. Maybe get rid of the "research" professors who are paid 6 figures to do nothing except bully their grad students.
That doesn’t seem to be the issue with the professor mentioned in the OP. It sounds like he is well past the point he should retire. While his methods were likely great decades ago, it may be that times have changed and he has not changed with them. I have teachers I consider great teachers, but also acknowledge that some of their methods that they used 30 years ago would absolutely not be appropriate today. One would hope that a teacher would change and grow over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 08:31 AM

21,669 posts, read 12,718,243 times
Maybe it's the students who have changed, and not for the better? But that doesn't seem to be the consensus on this thread!

Old 10-26-2022, 09:22 AM

7,209 posts, read 4,012,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe it's the students who have changed, and not for the better? But that doesn't seem to be the consensus on this thread!
It should be.

My daughter had a high school student's parent called twenty minutes after a weekly quiz. She asked if her daughter would retake the quiz. Evidentially, her daughter thought she hadn't done was well as she could have.

The nuttiness of helicopter parents and their snowflake teenagers has no end. It continues on to college. I'm waiting for parents to show up at their snowflakes first corporate jobs soon.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:33 AM

50,363 posts, read 23,952,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That doesn’t seem to be the issue with the professor mentioned in the OP. It sounds like he is well past the point he should retire. While his methods were likely great decades ago, it may be that times have changed and he has not changed with them. I have teachers I consider great teachers, but also acknowledge that some of their methods that they used 30 years ago would absolutely not be appropriate today. One would hope that a teacher would change and grow over the years.
Yes! Because teachers should not just expect students to learn...and enjoy learning...but should learn and enjoy learning themselves. And that is only reflected when there is change. Well, well, well past the age of retirement (just as I am).

Old 10-26-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why does it have to be all one or the other.

Each year that I taught, I kept notebooks of my lesson plans. And once a week I would go over the lesson plans I had used and made notes about what I had learned and needed to change for the following year. I didn't have to start from scratch each year, but I did make my lesson plans evolve based on how students did on a particular lesson plan.

Students need to change in various ways. But so do teachers/professors, and I have known too many teachers/professors who are on auto-pilot.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It should be.

My daughter had a high school student's parent called twenty minutes after a weekly quiz. She asked if her daughter would retake the quiz. Evidentially, her daughter thought she hadn't done was well as she could have.

The nuttiness of helicopter parents and their snowflake teenagers has no end. It continues on to college. I'm waiting for parents to show up at their snowflakes first corporate jobs soon.
Yes, helicopter parents are a bane on American education.

Growing up, my grandmother (who raised me), always believed the teacher and accepted teacher recommendations...except one time when there really was an intervening situation at home. That's not to say that teachers and administrators don't screw up, but parents who try to micromanage their son's or daughter's school life are raising snowflakes that will not be effective adults.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:42 AM

102,096 posts, read 107,215,903 times
Quote:
If they cannot afford to hire faculty who can actually teach, given the tuition that they charge, then the colleges seriously need to rethink their money management. Everybody else is forced to do more with less. Maybe get rid of the "research" professors who are paid 6 figures to do nothing except bully their grad students.
They've been forced to raise tuition to an astronomical extent, because of the loss of state government support. State governments used to value higher education. Whatever happened to that basic value? Why haven't state governments been able to better steward their own economy?

Old 10-26-2022, 02:22 PM

12,666 posts, read 8,891,575 times
Sorry in advance for any typos. On travel and fatfingering myphone here.

Quote:
Research h professors are essentially a profit center for tbe university while teaching faculty are a cost center. Depending on the school, research professes are expected to bring in 5 or more times their salary and also fund several research grad studenrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They've been forced to raise tuition to an astronomical extent, because of the loss of state government support. State governments used to value higher education. Whatever happened to that basic value? Why haven't state governments been able to better steward their own economy?
R4T, that's a great question. Seems related to the other thread on the antipathy toward education. One of the things that intrigues me is so many of the Greatest Gen couldn't finish high school due the depression and the war but were all well read and supported education. Today we have so many who do complete high school yet disparage education. I dont understand why states dont support what they once considered an essential public duty alongside safety and se urity.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:58 PM

6,922 posts, read 7,000,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sorry in advance for any typos. On travel and fatfingering myphone here.

Research h professors are essentially a profit center for tbe university while teaching faculty are a cost center. Depending on the school, research professes are expected to bring in 5 or more times their salary and also fund several research grad studenrs.
And you seriously believe these professors are actually doing research? All they do is bully their grad students and collect a paycheck.

Quote:
R4T, that's a great question. Seems related to the other thread on the antipathy toward education. One of the things that intrigues me is so many of the Greatest Gen couldn't finish high school due the depression and the war but were all well read and supported education. Today we have so many who do complete high school yet disparage education. I dont understand why states dont support what they once considered an essential public duty alongside safety and se urity.
I think the greatest generation wanted others to be able to accomplish what they were unable to accomplish. Later generations see how worthless our educational system is.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:07 PM

12,666 posts, read 8,891,575 times
Quote:
And you seriously believe these professors are actually doing research? All they do is bully their grad students and collect a paycheck.
Of course. I did research in my grad program. My oldest didcresearch in her undergrad and is now doing research as part of her grad program, my youngest did research as part of his undergrad though the field work was halted by covid.

More so I have selected, managed, reviewed, and evaluated about 8 figures worth of university and small business research grants. So yes I do have some understanding of university research. And if those professors arent doing the research they proposed, they dont get the next grant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education