Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 10:38 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Equitable equity is the cause, where all grades are made equally high and all schools are made equally sh*tty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, I looked up the division tables, lol. I "asked Google". They're just the opposite of the multiplication tables. Once you know the multiplication tables, you don't need to memorize the division tables separately, because you already know how the numbers work. Right? There's no secret that needs to be memorized. My recollection is, that after working with multiplication for awhile so we were proficient at it, we went straight into long division using larger numbers.
You can also google subtraction and addition tables - those exist, too.

With my kids, I simply quizzed them in the car as I drove them to/from school. We also used flashcards at home.

It took minimal time and effort on my part.

I used a LeapFrog Letter Factory video to teach them letter sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 11:59 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

With my kids, I simply quizzed them in the car as I drove them to/from school. We also used flashcards at home.

It took minimal time and effort on my part.

I used a LeapFrog Letter Factory video to teach them letter sounds.
Wow, talk about an involved parent! Too many parents think, or used to think, that teaching their kids was the schools' job. Especially if they put their kids in private school, they figured they were paying for superior service, so there was no need to provide reinforcement at home, other than to make sure their kids were doing their homework. Or if the parents bought into a "better" school district. Maybe that changed in the era of helicopter parenting and its aftermath, IDK.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Wow, talk about an involved parent! Too many parents think, or used to think, that teaching their kids was the schools' job. Especially if they put their kids in private school, they figured they were paying for superior service, so there was no need to provide reinforcement at home, other than to make sure their kids were doing their homework. Or if the parents bought into a "better" school district. Maybe that changed in the era of helicopter parenting and its aftermath, IDK.
What I see with parenting is more time spent on driving kids to 3-4 sports, not necessarily spending time on academics. My officemate tells me that she takes her HS daughter to club sports practice at 7pm and sees the elementary school girls starting practice AFTER the HS kids start.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
OK, I just did. Looking at that, I fail to see the need to memorize tables for simple addition and subtraction. Multiplication is different, a bit more abstract.

But we were taught the principles behind working with numbers, for addition/subtraction. "Five take away two is how many?" You can count it out on your fingers, or work with objects on your desk to see how that works. Then you transfer that principle to setting up a simple equation, a little column with the minus sign, and get familiar with that. The next step is, you expand the equation to double-digit numbers, and learn the rules for how that works.

Oh well. Diff strokes for diff folks, I guess. Whatever works.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:10 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
You will find that the private schools score higher. However, if a control for family income and parents’ level of educational achievement is applied then the advantage is eliminated.
So high achieving kids with successful parents deserve an asterisk or maybe and Obama-esque, "you didn't do that?"

Or maybe kids with low achieving parents deserve pass?

Further, I've read studies that show the opposite of your claim.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Overall, government fails at everything it does. Of course there are exceptions, but generally speaking gov't education is a failure, and it keeps falling down the international rankings.

Its not due to cost either, because the USA spends more than many countries who have better results.

I'd love to see the private school versus public school ACT scores. I'll bet they hide those from public view as much as they possibly can. I'd love to see those stats as a nationwide aggregate....not cherry picked by county, or state.
Finland scores among the highest in math, and in general, IIRC. They have very good government schools. Good teacher training, too. And they're not the only ones. Just because US government education is struggling doesn't mean all gov't education is doomed to fail.

Private schools provide their own test-taking training for standardized tests, and for the SAT (or ACT) specifically. Test-taking strategy to maximize testing efficiency for better results is part of it. HS students take a trial run at the SAT a year before doing the real deal. If they happen to score better on their trial run, they submit that score with their college applications.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
OK, I just did. Looking at that, I fail to see the need to memorize tables for simple addition and subtraction. Multiplication is different, a bit more abstract.

But we were taught the principles behind working with numbers, for addition/subtraction. "Five take away two is how many?" You can count it out on your fingers, or work with objects on your desk to see how that works. Then you transfer that principle to setting up a simple equation, a little column with the minus sign, and get familiar with that. The next step is, you expand the equation to double-digit numbers, and learn the rules for how that works.

Oh well. Diff strokes for diff folks, I guess. Whatever works.
Memorizing that 8+5 = 13 is far easier than counting it out on your fingers every time, pulling out a calculator or doing some other kind of mental gymnastics to figure it out (10+5=15 so take away 2 and that's 13...or some such thing).

Old 10-15-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I've always lived in middle class suburbs and everyone I know did the same sort of practice with their kids. It's just something that parents do.

People put their kids into private schools for a whole variety of reasons. Maybe some of the parents think that they are paying the school to do it all so they don't have to. But I would bet that most private school parents value education and also do simple things like practicing multiplication tables with their kids.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:44 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
One more bad return on investment, I would say.
Today, I had breakfast with two educators. What is going on in the schools these days amounts to nothing more than subsidized day care for 80% of the students. Consensus? Rotten parenting; no expectations, management, discipline, responsibility, and accountability. Parents are too focused on making sure that their kids don't grow up as they did; hence, they are soft pedaling the rearing of their children to the detriment of society. Who, exactly, with these types of test scores and lack of the above attributes, will serve in our military, sit on the board of directors of corporations, run businesses (including sole proprietorships), and represent this country, when our educational system is interesting in doing anything but educating and preparing our youth for the world that awaits their leadership and direction?
Add to the mix the addiction of technology among parents and their kids, the damaging effects of social media, and the pandemic panic that closed our public schools, and this is where we are; in the tank.
As I've stated before, if we must subsidize education, it should be in the form of vouchers to be utilized at the school of the parents' choosing.
The most important part of the equation, still, and always will be, the home environment and the emphasis placed on education therein.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Memorizing that 8+5 = 13 is far easier than counting it out on your fingers every time, pulling out a calculator or doing some other kind of mental gymnastics to figure it out (10+5=15 so take away 2 and that's 13...or some such thing).
You only have to count it out on your fingers the first couple of times, until you learn. You can do it in your head once you get the hang of how subtraction and addition work. But ok.

Memorizing a table is faster, except for the time it takes to memorize the entire thing, then repeat it out loud in school with the teacher over and over, to reinforce your memorization. The advantage to that is, that you get more practice exercising your memory, which is an important skill. They say, that having a good memory is a key component of intelligence. So, there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education