Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2022, 12:53 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

[quote=jtab4994;64373085]The fact that most of the GOP leadership, including Ron DeSantis and the Orange Lord himself, have degrees from Ivy schools should tell you that they know what they're talking about, regarding the Ivy's being Leftist.

That being said, there is a longstanding tradition of house workers being resented by field workers. That did not start with the MAGA movement, and it won't end after the MAGA movement gives way to the next movement.[/QUOTE

True. What does the GOP choose for themselves? Their children? What hypocrisy!

That said this antipathy is as old as dirt. For the baby boomers who graduated from HS in the 1960s, it was about the Vietnam war. And there was something to that. The wealthy could always figure out a way to get out.

My generation? People who liked Disco got jobs after high school. Or smoked a ton of weed, sat in their parent's basement listening to the Beatles and the Stones as though all new music sucked. Boys got jobs through their parents, with the town, the docks, or the post office, and didn't make enough money to move out. When they did, they were evicted, and moved so they developed bad attitudes. Justifiably bad. Girls did a little better. Tried community college, but to be fair, our community college wasn't even in our community. It was an hour away. Some went to high priced vocational schools, learned medical assisting, lab tech, or computers skills which were no good as soon as they graduated. None of those assistant jobs paid enough for a studio apartment.

They got married and moved into an apartment. Couldn't pay the rent. Moved back home. Fought. Got kicked out for fighting. Moved into another apartment, and the same thing happened.

Their parents looked at - those who went away to college, when we visited, - as though WE were the "pot heads" and drunks. Mostly blue collar townies, they they stuck together and defended their kids lifestyles. My guess is their parents were afraid of college. Afraid it would change their children. About that, they were right.

Those of us who went to college got sick of the snide comments, and little by little we drifted apart.

This is a social rift that will never heal. I have no answer. My millenial son has a good friend from HS who still lives with his parents at 26. I get the feeling his mother likes her youngest boy at home.

Last edited by sheena12; 11-01-2022 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 07:05 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

True. What does the GOP choose for themselves? Their children? What hypocrisy!
OK, but to be fair, the Democrats rail against millionaires and billionaires, but still accept donations from same, and choose personal wealth for themselves and their children. Hypocrisy is bipartisan.

Quote:
That said this antipathy is as old as dirt. For the baby boomers who graduated from HS in the 1960s, it was about the Vietnam war. And there was something to that. The wealthy could always figure out a way to get out.
With the saber-rattling that's going on between the U.S. and Russia, I've told my younger son he's lucky he had "childhood asthma" so he can escape the draft like Biden did. My older son said he's choosing "bone spurs", as You-Know-Who supposedly had. Sticking with the bipartisan theme here.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times
I’m so sick of the “us against them” and “let’s one-up the other side” in US politics.

To my elected officials:

Pursue policies that do the most good for the most people in the most efficient way, minimizing costs and adverse effects.

If you’re seeking to simply punish the other side- such as the GOP did when it imposed taxes on Ivy Leage endowments- get lost and get a real job.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:37 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I’m so sick of the “us against them” and “let’s one-up the other side” in US politics.

To my elected officials:

Pursue policies that do the most good for the most people in the most efficient way, minimizing costs and adverse effects.

If you’re seeking to simply punish the other side- such as the GOP did when it imposed taxes on Ivy Leage endowments- get lost and get a real job.
Us versus Them is not a political issue, nor is the antipathy against the college educated by the non-college educated. All parties are run by house workers, yet they all covet the votes of field workers.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:10 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
For me, I never thought that college bestowed on me some kind of special powers and abilities. However, it does have a sort of conflation effect which I suppose was always the goal, since until recently the point of "general education" in college was preparation for socialization into the "leadership" or "ownership" class.

It also is more important mental training that I realized. Not any of the information per se. But the process of having to learn it and progressing harder every year. It's why I don't find many degrees "useless" because I think almost any degree proves that someone is capable of learning.

In my working life, what I have noticed is that the process you undergo in college is valuable. My view of most jobs is that, in theory, they can be done by anyone with a reasonably average IQ or higher. But every time I tried to hire someone without a degree for one that required one, I found that their ability to learn tasks and complete projects on their own was SERIOUSLY lacking. They could do it... ONLY IF I hand-held them the entire time. The independence factor was something that only VERY rare non-college graduates could do. Typically the kinds of people who were capable of graduating college but didn't because of some kind of mitigating circumstances.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:30 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
As equality is promoted in society, a natural reoccurring theme of late is looking down on those who are more fortunate. Envy and jealousy is now directed at the college educated, those who own a house, those with wealth, those who drive the new Tesla, that 6’2” Caucasian kid with nice teeth and blonde hair.

And what I find amazing is this new brand of hatred is not condemned. It’s now socially acceptable to loathe brains, good genes or achievements.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that if you want to promote one sub group, another subgroup must be marginalized to achieve equality.

The nail that sticks high must be hammered down. Sound familiar?

Old 11-01-2022, 11:24 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's why I don't find many degrees "useless" because I think almost any degree proves that someone is capable of learning.
I think you're absolutely right about the level of education expected of a college graduate. It not only proves that someone is capable of learning, it also means that someone is able to demonstrate what they have learned to others. You research, learn, write/present, and are reviewed/critiqued over and over in varied disciplines until you master it.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:27 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,671,074 times
Far too many people think of education as being some kind of training for a job, which is not really what it is for unless you are in trade school.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:35 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solere View Post
This is not a political post.

Recent media reports of government proposed student loan debt forgiveness in my opinion seem to have unleashed a lot of antipathy toward college educated people collectively.

When I have written persuasive letters in the past quoting professors and subject matter experts with higher education degrees, those with no college education would sometimes respond with a "What do they know?" attitude" or "I don't need a professor" to tell me what to think" remark.

Has there for many years been an underlying antipathy toward the college educated from the non-college educated that was aggravated by the recently announced debt forgiveness plan?
If the government gave everyone a new home or car or TV, after you spend years struggling to paying your debts off, wouldn't you feel used?

I've paid my kids' undergrad bills and I paid off my student loans. Let me tell you, I feel used by student loan forgiveness.

Imagine if I knew I could never own a home or car or TV and yet, my taxes were paying for someone else' bills. It would feel terrible. Same for student loans. Many people couldn't afford to go to college - maybe they are working to help their parents, maybe they did badly in high school, or they just didn't have the opportunity to go and yet, are being asked to pay someone else way.

The antipathy between college educated and non-college educated is a class/social economic issue.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,807,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
If the government gave everyone a new home or car or TV, after you spend years struggling to paying your debts off, wouldn't you feel used?

I've paid my kids' undergrad bills and I paid off my student loans. Let me tell you, I feel used by student loan forgiveness.

Imagine if I knew I could never own a home or car or TV and yet, my taxes were paying for someone else' bills. It would feel terrible. Same for student loans. Many people couldn't afford to go to college - maybe they are working to help their parents, maybe they did badly in high school, or they just didn't have the opportunity to go and yet, are being asked to pay someone else way.

The antipathy between college educated and non-college educated is a class/social economic issue.
I hear you. I paid quite a bit for my grandmother's cancer treatments and now there's a cure for that particular type of cancer and the government wants to cover the treatment for cancer patients. This cure shouldn't be made available because of all the people who had to pay for other more expensive treatments or even because of those who died. Btw, the research was partially funded by the government.

Last edited by TexasLawyer2000; 11-04-2022 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education