Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 10:02 AM

863 posts, read 865,865 times

Advertisements

To claim a relationship between geography and education is illogical and ignorant. The value of education is passed on from parent to child regardless of location. It's a family value that successful families have in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 10:52 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
To claim a relationship between geography and education is illogical and ignorant. The value of education is passed on from parent to child regardless of location. It's a family value that successful families have in common.
To claim that cultural values regarding education have no relationship to factors which include, but are absolutely not limited to, geographic region, is illogical and ignorant.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:17 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solere View Post
Recent media reports of government proposed student loan debt forgiveness in my opinion seem to have unleashed a lot of antipathy toward college educated people collectively.
I disagree.

I don't think any recent political events have unleashed said antipathy. It's always been there.

A not-insignificant portion of the population resents education, for a variety of reasons. Mainly, these are envy (they don't have it), and fear (their worldview cannot stand up to critical scrutiny).

These same people don't bat an eye when certain figures wipe away tens of millions in debt by filing for bankruptcy, yet they have a meltdown at the prospect of a social worker or a teacher or a nurse gets the last $10k in their student debt erased. That really says it all.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:22 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
If you're drowning in student debt until you're 40, that probably deserves some sympathy instead of antipathy. And if you're getting your Social Security checks garnished because of it, well, I'm not sure what that deserves.

Old 12-03-2022, 04:37 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I disagree.

I don't think any recent political events have unleashed said antipathy. It's always been there.

A not-insignificant portion of the population resents education, for a variety of reasons. Mainly, these are envy (they don't have it), and fear (their worldview cannot stand up to critical scrutiny).
Agree. The loan issue is merely a current convenient target (and is really not an education question at all) but the antipathy has been there since before I was a kid. Statements like "He might have book learning but he ain't got no common sense" have been around for ages. Saddest part was that even as a kid I noticed the ones who said this the loudest and most often, had little "book learning" or "common sense."

Old 12-04-2022, 08:15 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
There is a segment of the non-college educated population that graduated high school and are/were perfectly content to spend the next 30 or 40 years working at the local Wal-Mart, supermarket, or gas station. I guess they never had high aspirations to begin with, but they're a linchpin of the economy. I know many of them.

What I find unfortunate is that these folks are often looked on with scorn or derision by the more educated people. I've seen that on a few occasions, and there's really no need for that.

I guess that ties into the whole "us vs. them" dynamic.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:52 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
There is a segment of the non-college educated population that graduated high school and are/were perfectly content to spend the next 30 or 40 years working at the local Wal-Mart, supermarket, or gas station. I guess they never had high aspirations to begin with, but they're a linchpin of the economy. I know many of them.

What I find unfortunate is that these folks are often looked on with scorn or derision by the more educated people. I've seen that on a few occasions, and there's really no need for that.

I guess that ties into the whole "us vs. them" dynamic.
You've made a valid point. I've noticed this attitude so many times, it can't be counted. Most often these "non-educated" people are the real backbone of our country. My father was a very intelligent man who was only allowed to attend school through the 8th grade (by my grandfather). Nowadays, this is the equivalent to only attending high school. I've witnessed the reverse-snobbery towards these people all too often.

In my favorite after work place I occasionally go to, I'm damn near the only one that goes that has a bachelor's degree. The reason I go there? These people are friendly, not complicated, and genuinely care about others without all the baggage. Do they show antipathy towards the college educated? Sure do at times. Don't you suppose that sometimes these feelings are defense mechanisms to counter what they've received in the past?

Old 12-06-2022, 08:57 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times

The #1 objective of Universities needs to be to rip costs out of the system. The best way to do that is to lay off administrative staff that doesn't contribute to GDP.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

The #1 objective of Universities needs to be to rip costs out of the system. The best way to do that is to lay off administrative staff that doesn't contribute to GDP.
Not so sure that support administration is the top cost target, but fluff administration is necessary to cut. Fluff leadership is probably a higher bang per head chop.

Facilities and programs and costs to 'competitively' market universities apart from learning and research is way out of line (and only raises costs and enrollment numbers (and loans) of non-engaged learners. (Who probably don't belong there).

University is a business, sometimes a sleazy business that straps the uninformed as shark bait.

If there was a way to identify and prosecute offenders ( sentence to hard labor to pay-off debts they manipulated), there might be reform and change. Some of that was discovered in the admissions scandal. A perfect time to corral the sharks. (Opportunity missed, probably on purpose).

Old 12-07-2022, 12:02 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

This chart is cherrypicking recent times. Look further back and you'll see a different story. Historically, tuition was about the same as a teacher's salary. It became artificially cheaper with each of the World Wars.. and is closer to the norms now (in many cases slightly expensive compared to the norms but not as much as people make it seem).

Of course, there's scam colleges that are for profit which are a whole different story.

And the most significant piece of data is that very few people pay the sticker price at the good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education