Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 03:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
9 hrs. every weekday? After school, that doesn't leave any time for studying and homework.

I usually had a snack upon arriving home, then some playtime with the neighbor kids, then a couple of hours of studying before dinner, and after dinner was mostly studying/homework, too. Especially the year I had algebra! I was on the phone with a friend comparing notes on the results of our algebra homework, then struggling to figure out where I went wrong with some of the problems. No time for TV or music, most days. We were also given a tremendous amount of reading for literature class, and double that in the year we had US history.
I certainly don’t think that’s applicable to Millennials. The older ones were HS age when AOL was still sending out millions of CDs, so it is not like they had access to unlimited content. Streaming services didn’t start to become mainstream until the late ‘00s, and I don’t think smartphones became ubiquitous until 2010- at least not to the point where you could expect people in high school or younger to have one. I think that it is safe to say that for kids growing up in the ‘00s, one had to go onto the computer via the internet. On demand content was also more limited, as you still had to record shows either with a VCR or DVR, which at that time could probably tape one or two shows at a time at best.

I don’t even know where kids would be able to find 9 hours of time now. School hours are probably about 8-3 on average, and then it takes a while for kids to get home, eat dinner, do homework, etc. A child online from the time he got home would be going to bed at midnight, or spending a few hours in the morning before getting ready to go online. I don’t think that will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 07:03 AM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar992 View Post
As someone who had an upper middle class American upbringing I remember back in 2014 during the Summer before my first year of college I was not interested in space or sci fi but once I got tired of Call of Duty I decided to pick up a cheap copy of the first Mass Effect from a local GameStop. I was amazed by what I experienced. I became fascinated by the possibility of alien life. I then find out about Neil Degrasse Tyson who added fuel to the fire. I bought a telescope from Barnes & Noble and went stargazing throughout the Summer of 2014.

Sadly by the time I entered college that interest largely died out. I remember watching a promo for SpaceX and thinking that was cool but then I became obsessed with "Greek Life" and vacations to Disney World.

Apple TV and the recent events in space have reawakened something inside of me. I wish I hadn't become so vapid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4EOW9oqZ4k

Has the American education system done a poor job of teaching math and science to Millennials?

Has society become too materialistic to dream of the future?

At my suburban school during the early 2010s it seemed like math was "uncool" and aspiring to a Kardashian like lifestyle was the aspiration for many.

If the public and government was willing to invest in a program as big and groundbreaking as Apollo to inspire America's young people to become inspired to do their best in math and science during the 2010s what would that program be?

Would it be a fully funded human Mars program?

Would it be something that had to do with fighting climate change? Commercial Fusion by 2025? Fusion powered crewed spacecraft to Mars by the 2030s and Europa by the 2040s?

A campaign to reduce fear of GMOs, vaccines, and nuclear power?

Or all of these as part of a campaign to put us on a course to a future that looks more like Star Trek than Mad Max?

I just found out Neil Degrasse Tyson said GMOs are safe and during my college years I shopped at places like "Trader Joe's" and "Whole Foods" because that was where all the good looking rich people were shopping at.

I look at the state of American society and I am both sad but determined.

It is crazy finding out several people I knew from high school have become crazy conspiracy theorists.
I can see from the bolded why so many of you blame teachers for the issue.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:06 AM

230 posts, read 159,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A child online from the time he got home would be going to bed at midnight, or spending a few hours in the morning before getting ready to go online. I don’t think that will happen.

The HS students I taught would tell you that going to bed after midnight is perfectly normal.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:48 AM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
The HS students I taught would tell you that going to bed after midnight is perfectly normal.
Anywhere between midnight and 2 with random answering of texts after that.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:10 AM

4,624 posts, read 2,159,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar992 View Post
As someone who had an upper middle class American upbringing I remember back in 2014 during the Summer before my first year of college I was not interested in space or sci fi but once I got tired of Call of Duty I decided to pick up a cheap copy of the first Mass Effect from a local GameStop. I was amazed by what I experienced. I became fascinated by the possibility of alien life. I then find out about Neil Degrasse Tyson who added fuel to the fire. I bought a telescope from Barnes & Noble and went stargazing throughout the Summer of 2014.

Sadly by the time I entered college that interest largely died out. I remember watching a promo for SpaceX and thinking that was cool but then I became obsessed with "Greek Life" and vacations to Disney World.

Apple TV and the recent events in space have reawakened something inside of me. I wish I hadn't become so vapid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4EOW9oqZ4k

Has the American education system done a poor job of teaching math and science to Millennials?

Has society become too materialistic to dream of the future?

At my suburban school during the early 2010s it seemed like math was "uncool" and aspiring to a Kardashian like lifestyle was the aspiration for many.

If the public and government was willing to invest in a program as big and groundbreaking as Apollo to inspire America's young people to become inspired to do their best in math and science during the 2010s what would that program be?

Would it be a fully funded human Mars program?

Would it be something that had to do with fighting climate change? Commercial Fusion by 2025? Fusion powered crewed spacecraft to Mars by the 2030s and Europa by the 2040s?

A campaign to reduce fear of GMOs, vaccines, and nuclear power?

Or all of these as part of a campaign to put us on a course to a future that looks more like Star Trek than Mad Max?

I just found out Neil Degrasse Tyson said GMOs are safe and during my college years I shopped at places like "Trader Joe's" and "Whole Foods" because that was where all the good looking rich people were shopping at.

I look at the state of American society and I am both sad but determined.

It is crazy finding out several people I knew from high school have become crazy conspiracy theorists.
I think the schools go a little overboard with what you should know as far as mathematics goes. Most of us will absolutely never use algebra ever again outside of an algebra class. That being said I don't think teaching the concepts is a bad thing. But if you're teaching people that are going to be engineers and chemists yeah they probably need to know algebra. If you're teaching people who are going to be nurses they need to know that just not necessarily out your road trigonometry and **** like that.

I wonder if what we expect from school is to college oriented. That's certainly should be there because there are people that should go to college but there are a lot of people who should probably go to technical School or looking to other career fields.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:58 AM

19,469 posts, read 17,695,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I think the schools go a little overboard with what you should know as far as mathematics goes. Most of us will absolutely never use algebra ever again outside of an algebra class. That being said I don't think teaching the concepts is a bad thing. But if you're teaching people that are going to be engineers and chemists yeah they probably need to know algebra. If you're teaching people who are going to be nurses they need to know that just not necessarily out your road trigonometry and **** like that.

I wonder if what we expect from school is to college oriented. That's certainly should be there because there are people that should go to college but there are a lot of people who should probably go to technical School or looking to other career fields.

Algebra and algebraic logic are leveraged by just about everyone everyday........cooking, shopping, construction, hanging a painting, driving, throwing a ball etc.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:45 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,407,216 times
Thing is, mathematics builds on previously learned material. You can't do algebra till you've mastered arithmetic. You can't do trig till you've mastered algebra and geometry. You can't do calculus till you've mastered all of the above along with at least a bit of number theory. You can't do differential equations till you've mastered calculus.

The idea "well, this kid won't go into engineering so he doesn't need to learn algebra" dooms the kid to a future containing no technical content, at the eighth grade. Do you want that? I struggled like crazy with Algebra 1 in 8th grade. Had I given/been allowed to give up, I wouldn't have had the experiences of finally "getting it" in pre-Calc and Calculus in 11th and 12th grade; and I wouldn't have had my 40 year career as a highly paid engineer (a real engineer, not a programmer).

Old 11-14-2022, 10:23 AM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Algebra and algebraic logic are leveraged by just about everyone everyday........cooking, shopping, construction, hanging a painting, driving, throwing a ball etc.
Not true except in the case of construction. Children throw balls in spite of not having studied algebra. Most people who cook, shop, hang a painting and drive don't use algebra in pursuing those activities. Probably most people aren't capable of using algebra, even if their life depended on it.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:01 PM

19,469 posts, read 17,695,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not true except in the case of construction. Children throw balls in spite of not having studied algebra. Most people who cook, shop, hang a painting and drive don't use algebra in pursuing those activities. Probably most people aren't capable of using algebra, even if their life depended on it.

https://www.mathnasium.com/madisonwe...-everyday-life

Old 11-14-2022, 09:46 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
This doesn't address my point. Most of these activities go on without anyone doing any algebra in carrying them out. People go their whole lives from preschool through adulthood throwing balls without doing any math in the process. I've hung lots of picture frames, and never done any math to complete the task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education