Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,707 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Stenoqueen for your encouragement. I have some questions for you re: court reporting school. If you don't pass a class with the desired speed, must you repeat it and repay to take the class a second time? When I hear of court reporting students getting stuck on a speed for, let's say, eight months, does that mean that they've actually had to retake the same speed a class a couple of times...(and paying to retake the class each time)?
And I know it is an individual thing as to how long someone takes to finish court reporting school. But do you think it is feasible that someone can work part-time while going to court reporting school and finish court reporting school in two and a half years?
Thank you,
Twinstenogirl :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,707 times
Default Question for Stenoqueen

Thank you, Stenoqueen for your encouragement. I have some questions for you re: court reporting school. If you don't pass a class with the desired speed, must you repeat it and repay to take the class a second time? When I hear of court reporting students getting stuck on a speed for, let's say, eight months, does that mean that they've actually had to retake the same speed class a couple of times...(and paying to retake the class each time)?
And I know it is an individual thing as to how long someone takes to finish court reporting school. But do you think it is feasible that someone can work part-time while going to court reporting school and finish court reporting school in two and a half years?
Thank you,

Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
I am a court reporting student, and I am currently working on my exit speeds. I attend an online program at the College of Court Reporting.

I graduated high school in 1989 and went away to college at Johnson and Whales University. After I got stuck at 150 wpm, I quit. I ended up working in the insurance industry for over 20 years. A little over 2 years ago I got laid off and decided to reteach myself theory. Then I applied to CCR and started taking their academics and speedbuilding classes. (I tested out of theory.) I went back to school in February 2009 and it was the best decision I ever made!

This is a very challenging major, but it is well worth it. It takes a positive attitude and much determination. You cannot loose your focus, and you have to remember that nothing worth having in life is ever easy.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM

23 posts, read 118,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstenogirl View Post
Thank you, Stenoqueen for your encouragement. I have some questions for you re: court reporting school. If you don't pass a class with the desired speed, must you repeat it and repay to take the class a second time? When I hear of court reporting students getting stuck on a speed for, let's say, eight months, does that mean that they've actually had to retake the same speed class a couple of times...(and paying to retake the class each time)?
Thank you,
Twin, I'm sorry for just now responding. I didn't realize there was an unanswered question out there for me.

In answer to your first question, I will tell you how it worked in my school, New York Career Institute, located in, obviously, New York. The speed classes are divided up, such as a class from 40-60WPM, 70-110WPM, 120-140WPM, 150-180WPM, and 200-225WPM. (Those are approximate; I don't remember right now what exactly the classes were). Students were on their own schedule as far as passing classes and moving on. We would test at least once a week at each speed in ten-word increments for that particular class. You don't necessarily have to retake the same speed class numerous times. Say the top speed in your class is 140. You will just stay in that class until you pass the 140. If that takes you one try, then great. You'll then move up to the next speed class, that being 150-180 in my example. If it takes you ten tries, then same thing. Whenever you achieve the top speed in that class, then you'll progress onto the next class. You just pay for school until you finish.

As far as your second question, yes, it completely feasible to finish in two and a half years while working part-time. In fact, I worked part-time while in school and finished in 18 months (not to brag). To me, it largely depends on your natural ability. For those without natural ability, it may take longer or it may take a lot more practicing, but it is not impossible.

I wish you the best in your endeavors. Please do not listen to the negativity or sell out and become a digital reporter, recorder, or whatever they're calling themselves now. Do you want to just push a record button for a living? I don't think so. Court reporters have been in existence for a very long time and we are respected members of the legal community. I can't say the same for digital reporters. Besides, there is much satisfaction and pride in the skill of machine writing that only court reporters do.

Please keep me updated on your success.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Default Why court reporting is important

just droppin by

Last edited by valerie09; 11-14-2011 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: link doesnt work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education