Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times

Advertisements

Well, I've made the decision, I'm going back to school!!! Real Estate stinks and it's not for me...I need more financial stability. I'm going to be finishing what I started a very long time ago...court reporting school. I'm very excited (and nervous). I want to do well, must do well, there's no more opportunity to "f" up, now, I'm married with kids, bills, etc. I know there's probably a ton of people out there who are court reporters, but I've been out of the loop so long, I don't really personally know any, anymore. Also, I know there are only about 100 actual "in court" full time court reporters in the state of NJ, many more are freelance. Anyway, I'd love to know of anyone who is a court reporter (especially in NJ), any advice you could give, which would you choose, court or freelance, or realtime broadcasting reporting? Any information would help!!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Well I don't know anything about it but I say congratulations!!! I'm sure you'll do just fine. Finishing something we've started always makes feel better I think. I know you can do anything you set your mind to. (my mother tells me that all the time) I have no daughter to say that to so I'll tell you do your best and we're so proud of you!! Let us know what happens next. Good Luck!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 AM

Thank you, you made me cry (you jerk!!!!!) LOL I feel the same way, it's been like a weight I've carried over the years. I have no regrets about the path I chose, after all that path led to my husband and children, but it was always something I said I should've and could've finished while my oldest was still small (I quit when she was 2). I'm doing it for me, my family and my parents who are looking down and who were so excited that I was getting into that field. They always told me the same too "you can do anything you put your mind to" and "there's no such word as can't" when it comes to goals in life". My husband is behind me, the kids said they are too, so I'm jumpin' in!!! Thanks again!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 AM

11 posts, read 59,139 times
i am currently in court reporting school and love it! right now i am in the prep part of the course which is building up your speed. it isn't easy and i am in the process of shelling out 2,000 dollars for an upgraded machine in order to improve my speed. good luck to you, if i can do it, so can you!!!!!!!!!!!! think positive and it will happen!

Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Congratulations, all of you. I used to work for a school that taught court reporting (about 15 years ago) and, back then, it was a really great program to get into. I've often thought that, if I decided to go back to school (again), I'd go for that. I can't speak for today, but it used to be a very in-demand position that paid very, very well. FYI - I quite college after one year (had to get married, you know! Not that I HAD to get married, I just really, really wanted to, but that's another story), went back to school part time and finally got my Assoc. Degree 20 years after I graduated high school. That was the big joke - it took me 20 years to get a 2 year degree! But, seriously, it is MUCH easier to go back as an "adult". You're more committed than as a "kid". Best wishes to you all.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Anyway, I'd love to know of anyone who is a court reporter (especially in NJ), any advice you could give, which would you choose, court or freelance, or realtime broadcasting reporting? Any information would help!!!! Thanks
Pixieshmoo I like reading your posts, and just want to say good luck with court reporting.

Can't really offer much advise cause I'm not the subject matter expert. Back in the early 1990s, I was living in NJ and was engaged to a criminal defense attorney who practiced in Jersey City. (We were "courting"). She was not lacking in clients, nor lacking of courtroom stories to share either. I watched her in court a few times and let me just note that NJ court rooms have a pretty good amount of drama from time to time that would compete with episodes of "Law and Order". You're a Jersey girl so you of course have the necessary street savvy to handle the whole courtroom scene, and what a cast of characters you'll see on the job! Just remember to let the prosecutor call the defendants all kinds of bad names, they probably wouldn't like it if a court reporter did that....

Oh yeah, the attorney / fiance dumped me a couple of months before the wedding to take up with a real rich jerk / judge from Monmouth County "down the shore". That crushed my ego back then, but time heals most grudges (with judges) and life goes on.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
Congrats Pixieshmoo!!!!!!! Now days you need to have a job that pays the bills. I have always told everyone, the best thing you can do for yourself is to go back to school, get a good career, because now days you need to protect yourself, never know when you may have to be the bread winner.
Your smart and wise, and we are all behind you, so when you graduate, you will have to let us know so we can celebrate with you!!!!! Good luck!!!! Yorkie

Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,331 times
I just wanted to say that I don't know why.. but in reading your thread Pixie, I decided that I was going to do the same thing.
I just started college, so its not hard for me to change my major now. I have only taken 1 class so far, hahaha...
But good luck girl!!!!!! I am happy for you

Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 PM

409 posts, read 1,237,066 times
My sister has been a court reporter for almost 20 years now. She loves it.
She sat in a court room for two years, then decided to work for an agency.
Some agency offices are run where the reporters are like employees, others are run where the reporters are like 'freelance' contractors. She likes the freelance-style offices better. She takes as much work as she feels like taking, and makes as much money as she wants to make that week.

There are slow periods, but there will always be lawyers that need a deposition taken, and defendants that need copies.

I hope you find it as fulfilling as she has.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Well, I haven't seen this post in so long, I'm excited people are responding (I knew that people knew what a court reporter was!!! ) Anyway, I'm not starting next month as originally planned (due to finances, etc.) but I'm starting in September for sure, I'm just not sure whether I'm going days or nights. I'd rather do days, of course, it's quicker. But either way, it's going to happen. So I'd like to respond to everyone who had such nice words:

Nomoresnow - I couldn't agree with you more that you're more committed as an adult than a kid. I'm not saying I'd tell all my children to take a few years off before going to college, however, I wouldn't force them to go right away either, should they choose not to. I think that as high school graduates, we put so much pressure on ourselves to "become" something before that 10 year reunion. We also want to please our parents (though we learn as we become parents ourselves that they're pretty much pleased with the simple fact that we're healthy and alive). As 18 year olds graduating high school, we also have that fear put into us by people who make it sound like if you don't go to school right away and know what your major is, then you're going nowhere in life. When you're an adult and have "lived" in the real world, you end up (usually) knowing what you do and don't want regarding many things. How many of us knew ourselves at 18 the way we do at 25, 30, 40, etc.? I'm glad you went back too, no matter how long it took, we can never "over"educate ourselves.

Recycled - thank you so much for the compliment and the well wishes! I have to agree with you that while I'm itching to leave this state for a number of reasons, there are a few keeping me here. One of the reasons is just what you said, imagine the amount of jobs in that field in this state?! We're never without some courtroom hearing or lawsuit deposition (how pathetic are we ) My dad was a detective and my mom worked for lawyers, so I've heard what kind of excitement goes on sometimes and I don't want to be left out of that!!!!! (although, you can keep the freaks who try to shoot people in court away from me...that's a little too much excitement). I'm sorry about your fiance, yeah, you know those "down the shore" people, they're not cool like us "bennys" up north LOL!! You're right, life does go on and broken hearts heal, if she "left" you, then it's better it happened before you were actually married, you're better off anyway.

YorkieMom - Thank you, truly, for the "moral support", you're 100% right. My husband is a contractor so I know what you mean, God forbid he ever got hurt, I'd have to support us, so why sit around and wait "in case it happens". Now, I can ease his struggle and help support everyone (and have some financial freedom and fun). By the way, I already told my husband, I'm soooo having a party when I graduate, of course you guys can join in the celebration (I like some of you better than some people in my own family...shhhh!)

Poprocks - I'm glad you went back too! I'm also happy, that according to what you wrote, I could inspire someone to do something like that, it makes me feel good. And you should be proud to be continuing your education, there really isn't anything that a person can't accomplish if they put their heart into it and their mind to it. I truly wish you all the best in school and with your future career. Oh, and we can party together when we're done!!!!! (By the way, is it Court Reporting too?)

HappyandMarried - thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me know that they're actually still out there!!!! I used to know so many, but with my parents retired AND now deceased plus the people I started school with that either moved on or quit (plenty of those), I truly don't know many at all. I, of course, will devise my plan of action when I get closer to graduating, but the idea of freelancing is what has always appealed to me. The stability of a courtroom is enticing, but the freedom and earning capabilities of a freelance reporter are almost irresistable! I'm definitely leaning toward freelance, as you can tell. Of course, I'll do what I need to and if it's not working or I need a change, I can always switch, there are definitely more options out there now than there were and I believe those options continue to grow. Is she in Jersey by any chance (if so, I'd love a pm from her or through you with advice). Thank you also for letting me know that there's someone who not only succeeds at it, but enjoys it. I do believe I will find it fulfilling once I'm done with school and working. I can say that out of all the CR's that I knew, no one ever disliked doing it, which is a great sign.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education