Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 12:14 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I also imagine this is a highly bimodal distribution skewed downward even more by the fact that there are far more adjuncts barely scraping by than fully tenured professors who usually make at least a fairly comfortable living. But the academia ladder is certainly not an easy one to climb.
Yes. Not everyone is successful. This is true of all careers.

Adjuncts are merely instructors. They are not on a career track at a university. Often, they have another job... typically in the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 01:25 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
I don’t think that’s true at all. While my classes included a couple of less than stellar professors, I thought that most of my teachers were great, and I went to a large, flagship-level, public research university that was plenty respectable but hardly prestigious.

Yes and no, depending on the field. This is most accurate to the extent that local colleges and universities carry significantly more weight within their immediate geographic regions.

I’m mostly thinking of this thread.
Can you elaborate? What did I say in the thread that you linked that you don’t agree with?

Old 11-25-2022, 02:20 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Can you elaborate? What did I say in the thread that you linked that you don’t agree with?
I think my disagreement is quite clear in my posts in that thread. I’m not trying to antagonize you (and am only going further down this road because you asked). But I think this is why I (and perhaps some other posters) take some of your posts with a grain of salt.

I have no problem with you personally and only wish you the best. But there’s a bitter edge to your perspective that you seem to conflate with universal negative tendencies and experiences in higher education.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I think my disagreement is quite clear in my posts in that thread. I’m not trying to antagonize you (and am only going further down this road because you asked). But I think this is why I (and perhaps some other posters) take some of your posts with a grain of salt.

I have no problem with you personally and only wish you the best. But there’s a bitter edge to your perspective that you seem to conflate with universal negative tendencies and experiences in higher education.
Still not sure what you are referring to.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Still not sure what you are referring to.
Then I guess it will just have to remain a mystery.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Then I guess it will just have to remain a mystery.
Then why did you even post on that topic if you were not willing to explain what you meant?

Old 11-25-2022, 07:20 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
But it still ignores money, which I think is a mistake.

Sounds like there was some sort of deal going on between those colleges and your kids’ high school.

In any case, location is a legitimate criterion for students to consider. I wanted a college that was too far to come home to for a regular weekend, but close enough to come home to for a 3 day or longer weekend. But keep in mind that in my case, that zone includes many colleges, so I really was not limiting myself much in that way.

No, because my understanding was that college professors were poor teachers at nearly every college, and by then I understood that employers only care about the piece of paper, not where it was from.
Money is a two-part equation- how much you spend to go to the school and how much you can expect to earn when you get out. For example, my sister’s best friend majored in engineering and had the option between a full scholarship at Flagship State U or a scholarship that allowed her in-state tuition at one of the other State U’s known for having an excellent engineering program. She chose the latter, did a 6-year coop program where she was working every other semester, and I think she was basically able to cover a lot of her expenses during the time she was actually in the schooling portion. She had a specific interest and was able to pursue it. I’m not sure that would have happened at Flagship State U and certainly wouldn’t have happened at Hometown Directional U.

I have a coworker who chose a specific private university for a couple of reasons. I think he came out with some student loans, but he absolutely doesn’t regret it. It’s a school that is known for the student experience and fantastic alumni network and by all accounts, he had a wonderful time there. I’ve certainly met a lot of people through the years who will only hire people from X or Y school, so a lot of times where the paper is from is just as important as actually having the piece of paper. A lot of times, it’s a simple as going to Flagship State U… it doesn’t have to be an expensive degree. For example, there was one family in my block growing up that was hugely into Flagship State U, which is one of the big football schools. One of the daughters got into sports management that way and I think did recruiting for Flagship S U for a while and maybe went onto doing stuff for other teams. I think another friend’s husband went there as well and ended up working on one of the state’s Super Bowl organizing teams.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Then why did you even post on that topic if you were not willing to explain what you meant?
I tried doing that, but it apparently went over your head.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I tried doing that, but it apparently went over your head.
Then just tell me what you mean, rather than linking a 19 page thread where you were mostly disagreeing with other posters rather than me.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:12 PM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why is it that it seems that the groups that want to skip reading and writing courses in college are almost always engineers and, to a lesser extent, people in Business Administration?
IME as an Accounting major, because humanities-type courses tended to be very reading and writing heavy, and grades were based on less tangible metrics. For example, in my accounting and accounting-adjacent courses (finance, economics, business), as long as I was able to conceptualize the coursework, I easily passed the tests. Contrast that with say, a history course, it could take weeks to churn out a good research paper, only to lose points because some of the footnotes were wonky and the thesis statement didn’t wow the professor.

Ironically, I ended up changing to a humanities major, but that’s a whole other story, and a choice I have yet to regret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education