Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 01:59 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,646,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What would be an example of a class that teaches and tests against Algebra 101 or English Composition?
Algebra is a high school course. Typically in grades 8, 9, 10. (depending on curriculum). It needs to be out of the way BEFORE college admission. If for some reason you don't have algebra already completed before college you need to take remedial classes at the junior college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 04:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,805,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well Calc and most serious physics or chem courses would test if someone knew algebra for just a couple examples. If they didn't know it, they wouldn't last long.
Right... the idea is to make sure people are prepared for the class before entering it... not have them fail out...

Old 11-15-2022, 04:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,805,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Algebra is a high school course. Typically in grades 8, 9, 10. (depending on curriculum). It needs to be out of the way BEFORE college admission. If for some reason you don't have algebra already completed before college you need to take remedial classes at the junior college.
I agree that it's a high school course. I was just using the examples RPC324 gave. In fact, I'm used to seeing Algebra 1 being a middle school class. Either way, the point is that you can't just have people skip these classes and move onto calc or physics...

Old 11-15-2022, 05:15 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I just looked to be sure. The University of Texas has at least 4 algebra based gradate level courses and at least as many upper division undergrad classes within the math department alone. For certain it has algebra based physics, econometrics, and statistics as well.

https://catalog.utexas.edu/general-i...coursesatoz/m/

Old 11-15-2022, 05:44 PM

979 posts, read 538,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Rather, what if we formalized the structure so that students could take a defined program in high school (defined so that it's common and accepted in all colleges) that meets their gen ed requirements. Someone can correct my here if I'm misunderstanding, but somewhat like the British "A levels". Upon successful completion of this program, those students would only need three years of college. Considering student debt, that's a huge savings.

It could also function as an incentive to students and parents: If you pass this program, college is only three years but if you don't pass this program, or just take regular classes, college will be four years.
That would only further burden our lackluster school systems and increase the need for education funding. People complain enough about taxes and the government and you want to expand taxes??

Old 11-15-2022, 05:51 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
That would only further burden our lackluster school systems and increase the need for education funding. People complain enough about taxes and the government and you want to expand taxes??
Maybe it's something that could be included in the schools with "International Baccalaureate" degrees, private schools, a special AP series in public schools, and the like.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:25 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
I enjoy these discussions where proposals are thrown out suggesting programs be implemented that are already in place.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:51 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Right... the idea is to make sure people are prepared for the class before entering it... not have them fail out...
That's why you take algebra in high school. What is the point of retaking it in college as a gen ed?

Old 11-15-2022, 09:57 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Nahh. The courses are already there. My question is why have gen eds in college that duplicate what was taken in high school? What does gen ed English add that wasn't already taught? What does gen ed math add that wasn't already taught? And if they weren't taken in high school, why is the student in college?

At a time when students are facing high college costs and we're arguing over forgiving college loans, why do we insist our colleges require a year or more's worth of courses to duplicate high school?

Old 11-16-2022, 06:57 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,646,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I just looked to be sure. The University of Texas has at least 4 algebra based gradate level courses and at least as many upper division undergrad classes within the math department alone. For certain it has algebra based physics, econometrics, and statistics as well.

https://catalog.utexas.edu/general-i...coursesatoz/m/
That's not 8th grade algebra "50/x = 25, what is x?

That's graduate level linear algebra, where "X" stands in for entire expressions. Similar to matrix math, where you do operations on matrices and then open out the matrix to what it consists of. So, multi-dimensional calculus operations applied to expressions which, themselves, are stand-ins for expressions. NOT the stuff of eighth grade algebra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education