Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 03:58 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,981,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
That’s nice. I’ve never had any such experience.
So we had different experiences. That does not make my experiences invalid.

Quote:
You misread my post. I was chiding you for your stereotypical STEM male chauvinism. And while I’m not in a STEM field, people say the same bigoted nonsense about under-represented minorities in my field (as well as many others), and it’s exactly that—bigoted nonsense.
Then take it up with my teachers and professors who very blatantly graded women more leniently. By attacking me, you are shooting the messenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 03:59 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,900,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
So we had different experiences. That does not make my experiences invalid.
But having “different experiences” is a running theme with you, which does make me question your perception.

Quote:
Then take it up with my teachers and professors who very blatantly graded women more leniently. By attacking me, you are shooting the messenger.
I just don’t believe you. And I’m not accusing you of lying. I just (once again) question your perception.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
But having “different experiences” is a running theme with you, which does make me question your perception.
That’s because this forum is dominated by teachers and others who worship teachers, and they can’t handle dissenters.

Quote:
I just don’t believe you. And I’m not accusing you of lying. I just (once again) question your perception.
You have never been in a classroom with me, so you have no basis to say that anything I said is not true. Just like I would never say that anything you say isn’t true, since I was never in a classroom with me.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
That’s because this forum is dominated by teachers and others who worship teachers, and they can’t handle dissenters.
No, you just seem unable to take accountability. Everything is always someone else’s fault, and the sky is falling when things don’t go your way.

Quote:
You have never been in a classroom with me, so you have no basis to say that anything I said is not true. Just like I would never say that anything you say isn’t true, since I was never in a classroom with me.
I didn’t declaratively state that your assertions are untrue. I said I don’t believe you because I question your perception. There’s a difference. For what it’s worth, you don’t have to believe me either.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:02 PM

4,352 posts, read 4,191,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A big part of a technical writing course is learning to write for the audience; using the appropriate jargon for the audience. Much of the technical writing you see is full of jargon because they weren't taught good technical writing skills. So many of the engineers coming out of school write in "academic" style with a lot of third person passive voice. And, in college you tend to get rewarded for using as many words as possible (if nothing else to stretch out a thought to meet a length requirement). Good technical writing using as many words as needed, but no more.

What happens is a lot of time the presenter is merely a stuckee. "Hey Jane, it's your turn in the barrel. Here's the PowerPoint and script to follow." I remember one "train the trainer" session where I was the stuckee from our office. We were given a script and explicit instructions to follow the script exactly. No adlibbing; no paraphrasing; no summarizing. We were just human bots up there presenting. We hated it and the audience hated it.
Regarding the bold: I thought the same thing too until an upper-level psychology professor gave me a "U" on a paper and very generously told me to edit it down to the required 5 pages from the 8 I had turned in. When I asked why, she explained that when you are writing for publication, a paper has to meet the word limit. It was very enlightening and not what I expected. I learned some important lessons from that experience, not the least of which is more is not always better.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And, in college you tend to get rewarded for using as many words as possible (if nothing else to stretch out a thought to meet a length requirement). Good technical writing using as many words as needed, but no more.
I think a reason for that is because lazy and/or incompetent teachers and professors just find it easier to grade based on the number of words or pages rather than the content. Just like lazy and/or incompetent managers judge employees based on the hours that they put in rather than the work that they do.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:29 PM

12,589 posts, read 8,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Regarding the bold: I thought the same thing too until an upper-level psychology professor gave me a "U" on a paper and very generously told me to edit it down to the required 5 pages from the 8 I had turned in. When I asked why, she explained that when you are writing for publication, a paper has to meet the word limit. It was very enlightening and not what I expected. I learned some important lessons from that experience, not the least of which is more is not always better.
That actually supports the point I was making. In college classes you write to the professor's desired number of pages. Until that professor explained the need for brevity, you expected you had to write longer and stretch it out got a better grade because that's what you'd learned from previous classes. Which is exactly why we have to teach so many new graduates not to do that.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:02 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi168 View Post
Brevity in writing is a virtue and a skill.
This. We were taught that skill in highschool. We were told that being succinct is best, and that padding the writing assignment, whatever it may be, is a too-obvious ploy.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:17 AM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. We were taught that skill in highschool. We were told that being succinct is best, and that padding the writing assignment, whatever it may be, is a too-obvious ploy.
One of the problems, and maybe a reason why long writings happen, is the propensity of some teachers giving assignments with a minimum word count.

I used to ask my students when they'd hand an essay in with twice the number of paragraphs than necessary why, if they'd answered the question, they kept writing (and often hurt their grade doing so). The answer invariably incorporated the names of the same two teachers who rewarded length and who always made assignments with a minimum word count.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:22 AM

There are different great writing styles. Not everyone has to write like Hemingway. But most of us can stand to be less verbose (which I continue to work on), and it’s fairly unusual for educated people to write pieces that aren’t long enough.

If I ever taught a writing-intensive course, I would probably set a page limit (and not a mandatory minimum) on most assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education