Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2022, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Reputation: 22963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If the military, even today, is "not adverse," then college, especially today, is certainly "not adverse."
Well one of those is an actual job where you are paid money to do something, and the other doesn’t guarantee you any job at all.

I’ll let you guess which one is which.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2022, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Reputation: 3921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But how many chose to go to college instead, seeing the Air Force as too adverse even to consider...and then failed to finish college, too?
Unknown. But they're probably pouring coffee for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2022, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Reputation: 17146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Unknown. But they're probably pouring coffee for a living.
I doubt it, if the service labor market is any indication. If there are so many un and under-employed graduates, why can't coffee shops find workers?

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2022...s-complicated/

https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/ar...dent-employess

https://www.willistonobserver.com/bu...f1853e0d3.html

https://news.yahoo.com/richmond-coff...y4RUZ_5JKuxzrH

https://kenyoncollegian.com/news/202...th-resilience/

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/barista...a-then-leaves/

Somebody please send them the gender studies majors!

People think that college graduates had to work service jobs forever but don't take into account how the economy was crap after 2008. Yes if you were a young college graduate at that time, like I was, you applied for entry level jobs and you were competing with literally 100 other people for that 1 job, of which 70 of them had 10 or 20 years experience. I remember going to SO many group interviews and seeing dozens of people 20-30 years older than me vying for the same position. They had 1-2 decades of experience on me so yes there was no way I could compete. Therefore some of us worked in retail longer than we would have liked.

Now that's not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2022, 09:09 PM
 
28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Reputation: 30959
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There's more than one thing going on there. One problem is that those jobs pay little and have lousy working conditions, so they tend not to keep workers long. Musical jobs is the game that ensues.

Quote:
People think that college graduates had to work service jobs forever but don't take into account how the economy was crap after 2008. Yes if you were a young college graduate at that time, like I was, you applied for entry level jobs and you were competing with literally 100 other people for that 1 job, of which 70 of them had 10 or 20 years experience. I remember going to SO many group interviews and seeing dozens of people 20-30 years older than me vying for the same position. They had 1-2 decades of experience on me so yes there was no way I could compete. Therefore some of us worked in retail longer than we would have liked.
That's because a heck of a lot of 50-year-olds got laid off before they were financially able to retire. Unfortunately, those 50-year-olds needed higher pay because they had greater financial responsibilities, so their experience wasn't always positive...employers often preferred the less expensive college grads. A lot of them had to keep their college graduate kids at home as well. Both ends of the workforce got slapped.

Quote:
Now that's not the case.
It's not so different post-Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2022, 09:11 PM
 
28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Reputation: 30959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Well one of those is an actual job where you are paid money to do something, and the other doesn’t guarantee you any job at all.

I’ll let you guess which one is which.
No 18-year-old thinks the military will be more lucrative than a college education...

....unless they've gotten some very savvy (and relatively rare) advice and somehow believes that advice more than 12 years of education industry pro-college propaganda.

The GI Bill is a hellatiously good deal, and a 22-year-old veteran is usually far better prepared for college than an 18-year-old high school graduate, but the vast majority of 18-year-olds don't want anything to do with the military, especially if they are headed for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2022, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Reputation: 17146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No 18-year-old thinks the military will be more lucrative than a college education...

....unless they've gotten some very savvy (and relatively rare) advice and somehow believes that advice more than 12 years of education industry pro-college propaganda.

The GI Bill is a hellatiously good deal, and a 22-year-old veteran is usually far better prepared for college than an 18-year-old high school graduate, but the vast majority of 18-year-olds don't want anything to do with the military, especially if they are headed for college.
The mikitary doesn't even need that many of them. There are 15 million college students. The military needs about 125k recruits per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2022, 05:31 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Reputation: 46182
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The mikitary doesn't even need that many of them. There are 15 million college students. The military needs about 125k recruits per year.
USA might be better equipped for a workforce and economy if there were 5 million less college students and 5 million more workers and business owners.

Hopefully the college day-care days are soon over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2022, 11:25 AM
 
1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times
Reputation: 3177
I haven’t read through all of the comments so excuse me of it has been said before…

Companies used to actually train you on the job. Utilities companies would turn high school graduates into engineers. Now we are expected to bear the cost of training ourselves (college) before anyone even thinks about hiring us. We bore the expense so that companies could boost profits. I’m hoping that this will be a real turn back to the days when employers invested in the employees and didn’t expect the us to go into personal best just to have the luxury of employment.

All that said, check the sources on articles like this. You’ll find that the talking heads and politicians downplaying the value of education ALL have Ivy League (or prestigious state school) degrees and will continue to send their children and grandchildren to the very schools they are trashing on the air. They understand the value, they just don’t want your kids to have the same options are theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2022, 03:52 PM
 
28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Reputation: 30959
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The mikitary doesn't even need that many of them. There are 15 million college students. The military needs about 125k recruits per year.

That's true, and that's my response to suggestions the US needs mandatory conscription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top