Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Did I say I endorsed the teacher's behavior?

Sorry. If this kid has gotten to the end of the kindergarten year, that means this behavior has gone on for nine long months. Further, I would offer that surely this kind of behavior has manifested itself long before the kid went off the school. The fact that the parent had not acted before now means she just wasn't paying attention.
As a parent and someone who has worked with small children, I'm sorry but your arguments don't hold water.

If he got tested in Feb. that means he had been in school for 6-7 months before the school suggested it. With this age group, there has to be A LOT of behavorial problems before they suggest you get your child tested. I'm sure they thought he was having trouble adjusting, maybe he was socially behind the other kids, etc. I'm sure there were other meetings questioning things at home or changes in his routine that caused him to "act out" They do not just jump on the "something's wrong with this kid" wagon anymore like they did in the put everybody on Ritalin years.

I'm sure the mother thought the issue was something else since he'd had no problems in preschool. The possibilty of austim was the furtherest thing from her mind especially since her son doesn't appear to have any of the physical features commonly known by the syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:31 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
This teacher would be toast if she did this to my son who has ADHD. For those saying it's the parents fault, get over yourselves and your perfect parenting. The teacher should have alerted the principal if she were having that much trouble. And it really doesn't matter what he did b/c he's five and what she did was wrong regardless of age! You don't stand kids up in front of the class and let the other kids tell what they hate about them. My God! Does she not have a clue about anything? Do some of the posters not understand how detrimental that could be to a "normal" child, let alone to one who already struggles with issues such as behavior any way? Some people have no hearts and it's obvious when things like this happen just why our country is in the shambles it is in. When you can defend this woman and her actions against a helpless 5 year old, you're no better than she is.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Ok this is not going to be popular, but I think one problem with schools is they are required to provide an education to every child not causing any one to be left out. Everyday teachers across America are having to spend more time in the day making sure the "special kids" don't get left behind. Many schools don't have the budget to properly accommodate these "special need" students so they are put in regular classes. That causes everyone in the class to suffer.

I know a should not complain if I don't have the solution to the problem but our schools have many problems and this is one of them.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Oh yes, it's not the teacher's fault at all. That horribly awful five year old obviously has the upper hand here, and the teacher was just acting out of defense. After all, who among us can actually act like an adult when confronted by a difficult FIVE year old?

This teacher should be fired and not allowed to teach again.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:47 AM

106 posts, read 392,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
If he got tested in Feb. that means he had been in school for 6-7 months before the school suggested it.
Actually, the article says that the child enrolled in school in January, so the problems were noticed right away. Further, the article states that he had experienced problems in his previous school.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Ok this is not going to be popular, but I think one problem with schools is they are required to provide an education to every child not causing any one to be left out. Everyday teachers across America are having to spend more time in the day making sure the "special kids" don't get left behind. Many schools don't have the budget to properly accommodate these "special need" students so they are put in regular classes. That causes everyone in the class to suffer.

I know a should not complain if I don't have the solution to the problem but our schools have many problems and this is one of them.
It's not popular, but it's very true. Not only do some schools not have the money and/or resources to deal with special education - the teachers may not be trained on how to deal with them.

If this was a "normal" student acting up and causing disruption... then I would have to chuckle at the thought of the class voting him out. But if he has autism, it's no longer funny. It's sad.

It's sad because all of those children suffer. This young boy suffers because it was atrocious what they did to him. The children suffers because valuable learning time was interrupted and they have now learned that they can "get rid of" anyone who doesn't conform.

I'm all for the No Child Left Behind idealism - but a small part of me feels as though those with special needs should have those needs met above all else. On one hand, you could "corrale" them into their own cubby holes - on the other, you can have them mingle with the rest of the children.

Either way, crap will hit the fan. It's a lose-lose situation.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
OMG!! That is just horrible, I don't care what the dam issue was you don't do this to a child.
She should surrender her teaching certificate.

Believe me I am no advocate of unruly children, in this case a medical diagnosis was in process and it could have been addressed and handled.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
The teacher should never have allowed the class to vote on it. She should have taken care of it herself, by meeting with the parent and/or dealing with a disruptive student according to school policy.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 64,819 times
You know, I have always been for "no" child left behind. If one of your own children was left behind, you may have a different perception. Money is not the answer to fixing the problems of our school systems. Schools need to learn how to use the money they have wisely. Teachers need to learn how to teach in a manner that will meet the needs of everyone in a classroom. Obviously, behavior problems make that difficult and I don't have all the answers. However, some of these "special" kids are not behavior problems. They are getting left behind. They just learn in a different manner than all of this rote memorization that schools make them responsible for. Even a "normal" child who had been treated in this manner would have been harmed emotionally. There is no excuse for an adult behaving this way. This is just another example of someone who obviously got into the career of teaching for the "wrong" reasons.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,878 times
I saw on a parenting forum. I felt what happened was pretty barbaric. However the child behaved, the teacher did an incredibly stupid thing by allowing students to vote on whether to let the boy back in. If his behavior was so disruptive she should have sent him out, but to the admin office, to the nurse, somewhere. Then dealt with the parents directly. To pull the other students into it showed a real lapse in judgement.

However, as this student was not in the school that long, what I'm seeing is that the school didn't adequately equip the teacher for dealing with issues like Aspergers. Whether the school was unable, due to lack of funding, time, etc. too slow to get the ball rolling, or just not taking it seriously enough, the article doesn't say. But I feel very sorry for the child, AND the parents. I do not have a child with autism, but I know people who do, and it is such a heavy load. And 9 times out of 10 they are doing everything they possibly can to help their child fit into mainstream schools, and that includes managing behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education