Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,809,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
LOL You explained it so much better!

Why, thank you! <*bowing deeply*>

(LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 42,786 times
I am a 50 year young man on a mission. I have the gift of a.d.d and am trying to help all who have this gift and people who do not understand in the U.S. to bring out the creative side and expose the gift, its NOT a problem. I can use all the help I can get.

Ron
sorensonbuilders@mac.com

Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 AM

Default lets help

let show all that A.D.D. is a gift.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
He looks like a real hooligan - NOT - did the 5 year olds get to vote for or against the teacher as well? What a great lesson to teach a classroom - if you don't like someone - or find them annoying - you can ALWAYS vote them off the island - just like TV
lets help all, I am A.D.D. and will do what ever it takes, this is a gift.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
There's no cut-off date for qualifying for Special Ed -- if a child has one of the 13 designated disabilities, he/she qualifies for services at any time. However, there are deadlines that schools have to meet to be in compliance with federal law. For example, you don't want to make an initial referral for SPED evaluation in May or June, because the district is required to test the child within a set period of time (30 days, I believe) and since that 30 days would fall during summer vacation, the school psychologist would be unable to complete testing in time. So, you'd want to make your initial referral by, say, April -- or else hold off until school starts again in the Fall.

In this case, it sounds as though the child was in the process of being tested and by now probably has an IEP -- but he apparently arrived at the school without one.
Here in AZ it takes forever to get a kid qualified for special ed. I had a kid in my class this year. I wanted him tested back in August but I couldn't get him qualified until May. Basically, you have to fill out paper work and meet with a team of teachers and they decide if they want to test the child or not. Well, at our first meeting, they actually didn't think he needed tested even though I documented all his work and behavior. Well, then another two months flies by, and then this group of teachers finally decides that maybe he needs tested. It then takes another two months to get him tested. Finally, at his initial IEP they said he has a reading and writing disability. He has the vocabulary of a 3 year old and possibly has ADHD. Basically, this poor kid wasted another school year because he couldn't get the help he so desperately needed.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM

27 posts, read 64,711 times
I've got a queston. Do teachers during their training or when they are in school to get certified have they been taught anything about dealing with children with special needs? Kids are being mainstreamed now. Behavior problems like this will arise and teachers need to be prepared for it before it ever gets this bad. It sounds as if the teacher was really at her wits end, but why wasn't there anyone at the school to help, a mentor maybe or even the administration.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:52 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaching_03 View Post
I've got a queston. Do teachers during their training or when they are in school to get certified have they been taught anything about dealing with children with special needs? Kids are being mainstreamed now. Behavior problems like this will arise and teachers need to be prepared for it before it ever gets this bad. It sounds as if the teacher was really at her wits end, but why wasn't there anyone at the school to help, a mentor maybe or even the administration.
I'm sure it varies from college to college...my oldest daughter who teaches 4th grade had some training in one particular course, though it was not the focus of the course. That's all the training she has. Next year she will have a boy with Asperger's in her class and she's already begun asking questions. We'll see what kind of help they offer her. Her certification is in K-4.

My second daughter just graduated from a different college and is now certifed to teach high school math, had absolutely no training specific to such issues. Of course she had training relating to behavior issues and perhaps a bit on how to work with IEP's etc, but no special education training.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:04 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,809,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaching_03 View Post
Unfortunately, most Regular Ed teachers received minimal training in how to deal with special needs children. That's really unfortunate because, you're right, many school districts are going the Inclusion route, which means these students are going to be in their classrooms. Obviously, there should be one or more Special Ed teachers on staff, but they can't be in every classroom every period, so the help they can offer is often more of a "consultative" nature.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Here in AZ it takes forever to get a kid qualified for special ed. I had a kid in my class this year. I wanted him tested back in August but I couldn't get him qualified until May. Basically, you have to fill out paper work and meet with a team of teachers and they decide if they want to test the child or not. Well, at our first meeting, they actually didn't think he needed tested even though I documented all his work and behavior. Well, then another two months flies by, and then this group of teachers finally decides that maybe he needs tested. It then takes another two months to get him tested. Finally, at his initial IEP they said he has a reading and writing disability. He has the vocabulary of a 3 year old and possibly has ADHD. Basically, this poor kid wasted another school year because he couldn't get the help he so desperately needed.
We went through this for the last 5 years. By the time they got their act together it was usually about March so he'd only get 3 months of service.
What confuses me is in this state it's against the law for the school to make a diagnosis or even "suggest" that your child may have xxx condition which is ok, but if that's the case then why in the heck are they the one's that decide if he needs to be tested or not? I would assert that if they are to be the one's deciding then they had better darn well KNOW what symptoms to look for and be legally responsible for the outcome.
The other problem is the conflict of interest issue. How can a school be objective about whether to test or not if they have the budget in the back (or front) of their mind? If they think your child is going to really require service and cost them money how motivated is the administration really going to be to provide it?
We all know that no matter what the teacher thinks the administration "steers" the final outcome.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 AM

576 posts, read 2,303,574 times
Well, I just read through all the posts in this thread and would like to say this: No wonder our kids are so far behind the rest of the world in academics. If you have spent any time in classrooms during the last decade you will certainly have noticed that the whole educational process has been hijacked by the need to deal with behavior problems.

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education