Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2023, 01:31 PM

291 posts, read 202,295 times

Advertisements

So, I'm in the EE field (power engineering), and have been in it for 10 years now. I'm realizing that I want out of electrical engineering completely.

At 34 years old, is it feasible to self study programming and/or economics so I can get into a business/tech role? Would I be taking a large paycut to do this?

My background is purely engineering, and doesn't really have any crossover to business/tech. I have a large amount of free time but just wasn't sure how feasible this is without a bootcamp or another degree.

Grad school isn't an option due to money/resources.

Last edited by tugofpeace; 01-29-2023 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 11:04 AM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
So, I'm in the EE field (power engineering), and have been in it for 10 years now. I'm realizing that I want out of electrical engineering completely.

At 34 years old, is it feasible to self study programming and/or economics so I can get into a business/tech role? Would I be taking a large paycut to do this?

My background is purely engineering, and doesn't really have any crossover to business/tech. I have a large amount of free time but just wasn't sure how feasible this is without a bootcamp or another degree.

Grad school isn't an option due to money/resources.
Economics guy here. There is no econ. self study path that leads towards marketable skills.

Having taught macroeconomics engineers who are interested tend to be very good at econ. because the math portions are second hand and much of the logic is similar find the problem causing the problem, decimate a complex task, set of tasks, down to tiny working parts and re-imagine......that kind of thing.

IMO making early and mid life more or less lateral career shifts is a bad plan. I'd advise that you find a way to augment your EE with an MBA or maybe masters in finance or economics.

Or as an alternative call up your old engineering school and see what it would take to add a second degree/second major in computer science or masters in computer science........one of the most leverage-able masters degrees out there.

It is for sure possible to bootstrap/bootcamp your way into programming but it's crazy cutthroat, volatile and many of the jobs are sweatshop style.......there is no way to complete assigned work in a rational work week.

My wife is retired CIO she has endless horror stories about all this. Actually my wife is sitting across the room............and I asked her................she says consider getting some security type IT certifications. Certs plus and EE would be interesting to her.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Yes, IT security is the current demand and quick way to a higher paying step of a career. But... it is just a 'wage slave step' one that may lead you into a business.

Do you have a strong idea of where you want to be? (I love Power distribution and live in the midst of Bonneville Power distribution, grew up in Bureau of Reclamation area, and consult for wind and alternative energy)

Run down to your local worksource BEFORE you quit and note the people lurking for work. Pretty sad with a wide age and skill range. Take some of the free aptitude tests and plug your results in to a career path. Go talk to those who have done it (there are plenty who switch many times in their career, and are very happy and successful doing so).

For finance, I would look into taking CFA (Charter Financial Analyst) but that is not a sure thing and takes a minimum of 3 yrs. Many finance positions start and ONLY hire Accountant majors, just to prove they are capable of diligence and rigor. One of my kids is a CFO and another a COO, but no silver linings, yet (high dollar Buy outs). Building the companies, staying competitive, keeping an eye out for 'next steps'.

You certainly have the right stuff, so find your niche. That takes exploring and possibly a lot of No's. Do this soon. age 50 may be too late for a significant career change outside your expertise.

There can be a lot of dough and fun in fields leveraging your expertise.

While I was an ME, I steered clear of the office and factory by doing international procurment (now called sourcing). My technical background was essential. The staff on the business end had a lot more fun. They had to only deliver financial results. We had to deliver tangible results, moment by moment, day by day (No product = no sales!). I enjoyed working with technical nationals in other countries, but I disliked working in an office, so I found a way OUT.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:05 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times
OP, find a way to make your current path, interesting and challenging. [I got a considerable bet on backup and green power systems/distribution.]

DS has an ME but wanted to get into UserXperience, subset of CS. He found a way and got a double major. He eventually got a MS in CS-UX. He learn programing languages from the reference books and later the internet. He did a summer internship at a software engineering firm at 14; given a closet and a terminal. He has never taken a course in programming, detests programming although he could do it. Lot of Economics in research UX.

DS's best friend started at in Economics and degreed, at a baby IVY. He hated it. He went back to school and became a MD.

At high positions of economics, everyone is a Phd. According to older bro, having a Phd means nothing without pedigree. Political battles in the corporate world apparently is fierce. Eventually the CEO and Comptroller of the Currency agreed with him. That Phd was a protege of someone in the C suite, but $100mill loss from poor analysis can be a clue on pedigree.
YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education