Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 01:27 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But in real life that isn't what usually happens. What usually happens is that staff is so spring loaded now that anything can be called bullying.

The examples I gave were real life examples where a bullying complaint was made, all but the last by a staff member. That was reported by the student who was told to shut up (as a note, that kid was able to disrupt every class he was in. The most egregious was when he pulled out his gel breasts because they were making him itch). He usually was fairly calm stuff in my class, although he did have his moments.
Doesnt matter what the staff thinks. You asked where the line is drawn. What I said, is the line. The staff are wrong if they think otherwise.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:29 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
This story concerns a bully named "Charlie" and occurred in academic year 1971-2, and continued into the following September. In June 1972, during 9th Grade's final exams, at the school's meteorological center Charlie threatened to "throw up all over me" if I touched him. I took him up on this rather interesting offer. Instead of puking, he pulled a bike chain out of his pocket and began to whirl it at my head. I took off, and after descending two flights of stairs and getting through a set of double-doors, I was able to hold the door against him. I was thus not hurt, but my parents were called into school and asked them to withdraw me for the next year and send me to private school.

To put it mildly I promised not to cooperate, given the obvious injustice. This unpleasant period, just before I turned 15 1/2, continued with being tossed from a sleepaway camp. Tenth Grade started out with Charlie pulling a chair out from under me. A call from father to his put things right in a hurry.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:31 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But in real life that isn't what usually happens. What usually happens is that staff is so spring loaded now that anything can be called bullying.

The examples I gave were real life examples where a bullying complaint was made, all but the last by a staff member. That was reported by the student who was told to shut up (as a note, that kid was able to disrupt every class he was in. The most egregious was when he pulled out his gel breasts because they were making him itch). He usually was fairly calm stuff in my class, although he did have his moments.
I can give a good example of the bolded.

I had a parent come in one day and tell me that she wanted a girl suspended who was bullying her daughter. So I got out my pad to take notes and asked her to tell me about the bullying. "The girl is having a birthday party this Saturday and my daughter is not invited. That's bullying". Well, no, that's not bullying.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Doesnt matter what the staff thinks. You asked where the line is drawn. What I said, is the line. The staff are wrong if they think otherwise.
I'm not going to argue about where the line is, but why do you get to decide where the line is?

Old 02-15-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not going to argue about where the line is, but why do you get to decide where the line is?
Its common sense. You may see it different but if someone doesnt want someone to do something to them, and they tell the person to stop and they dont, you dont see that as bullying?

Old 02-15-2023, 01:36 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
I can give a good example of the bolded.

I had a parent come in one day and tell me that she wanted a girl suspended who was bullying her daughter. So I got out my pad to take notes and asked her to tell me about the bullying. "The girl is having a birthday party this Saturday and my daughter is not invited. That's bullying". Well, no, that's not bullying.
That parent is silly. A school is not responsible if a student doesn’t invite another student to her private birthday party.

In any case, that has nothing to do with bullying.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Having arrived at a 'town school' at age 12, after a rural (but not sheltered) Colorado elementary school, I have no problem understanding the violent reactions of Dylan, Eric, Adam, James, Ahmad Al Aliwi. (all in Colorado alone!)
Quite unnecessary, but not unpredictable response. These are only the notorious responses using guns, millions of school children are traumatized daily by bullying and DON'T respond with violence.

Between the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Colorado and the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut, there were 31 school shootings in the United States and 14 in the rest of the world combined.
It's quite easy to correct, but we need to recognize the risks and choose to address and correct them.

Behavior CAN be controlled.

Can't behave in school, poof, you're GONE! There are worse places to spend the day than school. (Which I personally consider a very poor place to spend your day, anyway.)

Old 02-15-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Its common sense. You may see it different but if someone doesnt want someone to do something to them, and they tell the person to stop and they dont, you dont see that as bullying?
There is no such thing as "common sense".

There's not even a firm definition of what bullying does and doesn't include. I don't agree with your definition. If I tell you to stop talking to me, and you talk to me...I don't call that bullying. Annoying, yes. Bullying, no.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That parent is silly. A school is not responsible if a student doesn’t invite another student to her private birthday party.

In any case, that has nothing to do with bullying.
That's my point. To that parent it was bullying. And that parent was wrong.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as "common sense".

There's not even a firm definition of what bullying does and doesn't include. I don't agree with your definition. If I tell you to stop talking to me, and you talk to me...I don't call that bullying. Annoying, yes. Bullying, no.
Ok, have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education