Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 07:59 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Why would a school remove honors classes?

Trying to achieve equity is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard in our educational system.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:43 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I f'in hate the word equity in current usage.

I hate it.

It's a woke poster word for mediocrity - pull everyone down to the bottom.

It spells doom for public education and should be utterly, f'in utterly rejected.

DEI is a D.I.E. agenda for children.
It doesn't have to be. It depends on how it is used.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:52 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Did the parents who did not want their kids in AP/Honors classes say why?

It's been many decades, but I don't recall ever getting my mom's "sign off" on any class that I'd take, with the possible exception of Sex Ed.
Concern about GPA.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:48 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Bear in mind that Culver City as a liberal western Los Angeles community dealing with its legacy as a sundown town surrounded by the City of Los Angeles there is some political fallout. Since it was the line the previous generation fled to when White Flight hit in the 1960s and not to return until the 2010s folk fleeing Los Angeles Unified School District had tried to fake address or ties to the community to get their kids into Culver City schools, as with Beverly Hills schools a few miles north if the cost of private schools along with housing cost was out of reach.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:51 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why would a school remove honors classes?

Trying to achieve equity is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard in our educational system.
One of the amazing things, according to the article, is that is the FACULTY who wanted the honors classes removed due to lack of BIPOC enrollment. That is, teachers themselves, or at least many of them, think this is a good idea.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:19 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Bear in mind that Culver City as a liberal western Los Angeles community dealing with its legacy as a sundown town surrounded by the City of Los Angeles there is some political fallout. Since it was the line the previous generation fled to when White Flight hit in the 1960s and not to return until the 2010s folk fleeing Los Angeles Unified School District had tried to fake address or ties to the community to get their kids into Culver City schools, as with Beverly Hills schools a few miles north if the cost of private schools along with housing cost was out of reach.
Culver City schools do not appear to be particularly desireable.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...istrict-111697

Old 02-19-2023, 08:27 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Culver City schools do not appear to be particularly desireable.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...istrict-111697
Keep in mind the district is surrounded by Los Angeles Unified schools. There may be a magnet on their western side featured on TV rich kids shows, that was beyond the historic white flight line. But on the east side is a defacto segregated school which was white fled from and during those years half of the segregated population got their kids bussed out, or got fake Beverly Hills and Culver City credentials. Meanwhile the new gentrifying new white residents returning to the area after half a century show no sign of allowing their kids to go to back to those schools.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:32 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
“Parents say academic excellence should not be experimented with for the sake of social justice,” said Quoc Tran, the superintendent of 6,900-student Culver City Unified School District. But, he said, “it was very jarring when teachers looked at their AP enrollment and realized Black and brown kids were not there. They felt obligated to do something.”
I agree that if enrollment is decreasing in honors classes, they should be eliminated to decrease the class size for other classes. I wouldn't do it because a certain segment of the population wasn't enrolling. But if the concern is that Hispanics and Blacks are not enrolling (and they qualify to enroll) then they need to find out why they are not.

When a relative, a white European, was going through law school, one of the things she complained about was that she didn't have parents or adults to show her the ropes or the connections she needed to get experience or jobs. Perhaps Hispanics and Blacks, who have fewer resources than she did, do not find those classes worth taking at the moment.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Quote:
One of the amazing things, according to the article, is that is the FACULTY who wanted the honors classes removed due to lack of BIPOC enrollment. That is, teachers themselves, or at least many of them, think this is a good idea.
Equity is engineering a predetermined outcome based on ideology.

It removes opportunity.

Too many people are duped into substituting equity for equality - they are not the same.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:37 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I agree that if enrollment is decreasing in honors classes, they should be eliminated to decrease the class size for other classes. I wouldn't do it because a certain segment of the population wasn't enrolling. But if the concern is that Hispanics and Blacks are not enrolling (and they qualify to enroll) then they need to find out why they are not.

When a relative, a white European, was going through law school, one of the things she complained about was that she didn't have parents or adults to show her the ropes or the connections she needed to get experience or jobs. Perhaps Hispanics and Blacks, who have fewer resources than she did, do not find those classes worth taking at the moment.
A lot of us didn't have anyone to "show us the ropes". We figured it out.

My mother had zero input into my going to college. In fact, she didn't believe I was even going the first year, she had it in her head that I was working there. Even after she understood what I was doing she still told people she couldn't believe it because I was "the dumb one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education