Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 10:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,574 posts, read 57,515,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
In the 90's when I was in Elementary School, almost all of the computers were Macintosh. LCII or Quadras or the like were older computers in the library. ...

All this time the Apple products seemed only to be seen in schools. ....

Obviously, that has changed. But I'm sure there was a value proposition that made them lucrative to school districts for a long time; . ...
A major marketing plan for Apple, was to distribute their products to schools and libraries (often for free) , and to encourage software development for their platform specifically to educators. This was to obtain 'early adopters' , young users who would later become Apple's customer base.

Seemed to work.

Keeping a proprietary operating system helped assure loyalty, and focusing on the 'user experience' as core to new product development met the needs of their customers.

Schools and libraries drove much of the early Apple product development and refinement. Thus they followed their customers to college, then entered the workplace with products such as VisiCalc and Adobe (desktop publishing). Founder Steve Jobs was very artsy minded, developing GUI / later buying Pixar and bring Apple front and center in graphics / visual interface.

He fought hard, and won few battles, but did insist on winning the important ones to direct the path of the company.

K-12 education has benefited, if they chose to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 03:52 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,350,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
In the 90's when I was in Elementary School, almost all of the computers were Macintosh. LCII or Quadras or the like were older computers in the library. Then the Powermacs came out and it's really the first personal computing model name I remember. From there the iMac's were installed in the early 2000's in all the district's computer labs and whatnot.

All this time the Apple products seemed only to be seen in schools. I'm sure there were organizations that had a use for them (I'm told in creative fields,) but you really didn't see them widespread in the market. When I went to college in the mid 2000's there was only one or two kids on the floor of the dorm building that had Mac's.

Obviously, that has changed. But I'm sure there was a value proposition that made them lucrative to school districts for a long time; something that Dell or Gateway or HP or Compaq wasn't competitive or interested in. Maybe it was education software availability, maybe it was support provided to schools, hard to say.

From what people say there has been penetration from Chromebook and probably others into the schools. I don't know much about it.
That stuff worked nicely, when it was new, but their high cost encouraged them to keep them well past their useful life.

The Chromebooks cost less than they were paying for a Windows license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education