Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 05:38 PM

8,870 posts, read 5,888,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I will let George Mason answer that question.

https://www.gmu.edu/news/2021-10/inc...on-expert-says

From the public relations release cited in above post:

"“One thing that the recent admissions scandals have shed light on is the impact our capitalistic society has had on the admissions process of four-year institutions,” said Melchior, assistant professor and academic program coordinator for CEHD’s [College of Education and Human Development] counseling program."

Well, at least now we know to whom blame should be ascribed: Adam Smith and his d**m "An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 11:08 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,113,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Across each example you could count out the answer or solve for X directly.
Simple multiplication and division. And I forgot to mention, they had use of a calculator.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:39 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's arithmetic. Knowing your times tables is arithmetic.
It becomes mental math by the time you reach algebra.

Put that in an algebraic expression with a variable and that becomes algebra.
You use arithmetic to solve algebra problems.

You got kids out of HS that still don't know their times tables because rote is considered a bad way to learn.

Personally I learn everything new by "rote"...repetition over and over until it becomes second nature.
Rote memorization (do schools have kids memorize poetry anymore?) helps you build your memory faculty. A good memory is essential to intelligence, they say.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Across each example you could count out the answer or solve for X directly.
"Count out"? How many quarters in a $10 roll? 4 quarters in $1.(everyone knows that, right??) 4 x 10 = 40. These questions are all too easy. No algebra needed.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
In elementary math we write something like: 7 + [] = 10. What number goes in the box?
I thought "we" write something more like this: 10-7=?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff;
In algebra we write that as: 7 + X = 10. Solve for X.

Same problem/same question but stick an X in there and people lose their minds.
That would be me! ---->
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff;
Question: When am I ever going to use algebra?

Answer: Every time you solve a simple problem. From adjusting a cake recipe to balancing your checkbook to making correct change without the cash register to tell you, you are using algebraic thinking.
No, I'm doing basic arithmetic. Stop trying to drag me into algebra! It's an unnecessary complication.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:16 AM

19,491 posts, read 17,717,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Count out"? How many quarters in a $10 roll? 4 quarters in $1.(everyone knows that, right??) 4 x 10 = 40. These questions are all too easy. No algebra needed.
Sorry Ruth you are missing the point.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:59 AM

41,721 posts, read 17,294,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ruth, you used arithmetic to solve an algebra problem

Old 09-07-2023, 11:14 AM

19,491 posts, read 17,717,036 times
Quote:
Thank you.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:26 AM

4,823 posts, read 6,826,894 times
Quote:
It's kind of like Common Core. Let's complicate something that isn't complicated.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:33 AM

21,648 posts, read 9,208,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What's both scary and interesting to me is we're not even talking about algebra or calc, but very basic math skills like adding fractions and addition/subtraction. We're talking 5th grade math. The interesting part to me is not that COVID should have impacted the understanding of basic math functions for kids of this age.

Consider, students entering college in 2023 would have been sophomore's when school was impacted by COVID. That shouldn't impact basic math knowledge. But also consider this group would have been in their prime math learning years during the heyday of Common Core.
I can't use the term I want to use for common core math on CD. Starts with a c and ends with a k.

I tried to teach my kids normal math and they fought me on it. Public education is no longer around enriching kids. It's about enriching union bosses and members. For the first time (and my last kid is a senior this year), I now recommend private, charter or homeschool. What I have seen over the last three years would shock most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education