Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 03:31 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I used to work for a very large school district (100,000 plus students). Central Office salaries were a small percentage of the overall budget. Beyond that, without Central Office services, you would have no building maintenance, food service, transportation, textbooks, bids to get the best prices on classroom supplies, paychecks, employee benefits, etc. I am not saying there isn’t waste, but the Central Office is an easy scapegoat. The CO is not the reason teachers are underpaid.
And, as a principal, there were times I needed to consult lawyers. That was handled by the central office, and is very important in today's highly litigious world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 05:30 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,904 times
Online education can totally work. It didn't work because most schools are setup to teach in-person and make-do on their own with resources last minute. A true cyber school has it's software in place already, trainings already taught to staff and the setup tends to be naturally self-explanatory even for new staff. The students have to want to learn, but it removes a lot of safety factors for students and staff, and discipline issues for the teachers.

If you offered a quality cyber model (in very safe places) for those who have a hard time getting a quality education otherwise such as many girls in poor African nations, do you think they would detest the work? Probably not.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:17 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, they were the same machines. Mass purchase with misused grant money.

It was also a typical tech in-service, the presenter couldn't make anything work. Just like when we had to switch over to projectors. Then there was the Blackboard fiasco. And the Google Docs misfire (that guy couldn't even get his laptop to power up). And then the requirement that all 70 teachers incorporate Smart Boards into their lessons a minimum of twice a week. We had 12 Smart Boards for the entire staff and they were all assigned to the Math Department.
Just an FYI, but the biggest issue I've seen is in any government organization, school, department, etc, regardless of whether you call it Central Office, Headquarters, whatever, is when the Central Office support functions begin to believe they are the reason the mission exists and the other 80% of the organization exists solely to support them. With reports, and analysis of reports, and "what if" drills, and training on how to use a mouse (yes, we actually had that for years for new hires). The actual delivery of mission to the customer or the public takes a back seat to the needs of those support offices.

Old 09-19-2023, 12:49 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
And some educators wonder why some taxpayers don't think more tax revenue for school districts is the answer to anything.
The same taxpayers who have not been to a single school board meeting to hold the district leaders accountable, right?

Old 09-19-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
And some educators wonder why some taxpayers don't think more tax revenue for school districts is the answer to anything.
But some of that is just simple but flawed logic.

I want to improve my yard, so I will spend less money.
I want to improve the interior of my house, so I will spend less money.
I want to improve my car, so I will spend less money.
I want to improve my health, so I will spend less money.
I want to improve schools, so we should spend less money.

Everything isn't improved by spending more money, but few things are improved by not spending more money in one way or another.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Then there is that 'eternal thought process barrier' within how USA EDU MUST be run. (Spend more money).

Fresh blood, fresh thoughts, radical change may be necessary.

i.e. How can you accomplish these objectives with 20% LESS money each yr?

During the interview process... Only Good Answers (which will succeed) are all that are required

It's easy.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:20 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Everything isn't improved by spending more money, but few things are improved by not spending more money in one way or another.
You are pretty much correct. But when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And money is the only tool the public really has.

Old 09-19-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You are pretty much correct. But when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And money is the only tool the public really has.
And the reason that's a problem is that -- at least in most juristictions -- there is only one budget that the public gets to vote on -- the school budget, so they often take their frustration about all government out on the schools.

I was once sued for a traffic accident (not guilty, btw), and I went to the court house. Marble, granite, mahogany, oak, chandeliers, cushioned chairs, etc. All in a building designed for our CRIMINAL justic system. Then I went back to my school. Cinder block, linoleum, brick, pine, cheap carpet, etc. All in a building desinged for our CHILDREN. Does that not put up a red flag? (I am NOT saying schools need to be luxurious).

Old 09-19-2023, 04:54 PM

7,757 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just an FYI, but the biggest issue I've seen is in any government organization, school, department, etc, regardless of whether you call it Central Office, Headquarters, whatever, is when the Central Office support functions begin to believe they are the reason the mission exists and the other 80% of the organization exists solely to support them. With reports, and analysis of reports, and "what if" drills, and training on how to use a mouse (yes, we actually had that for years for new hires). The actual delivery of mission to the customer or the public takes a back seat to the needs of those support offices.
Great point. I've seen the same issue in the private sector in F500 companies.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:56 PM

7,757 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Let's take you, phetaroi. If I recall correctly, you are retired (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm mistaken).

Did you do the very best job you could with the resources available to you? Or did you slack off sometimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education