Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2023, 07:08 PM
 
9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Reputation: 19661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
And some educators wonder why some taxpayers don't think more tax revenue for school districts is the answer to anything.
Yes, but there are valid reasons to pay more taxes. That is the issue. We have drama where I live yearly because the high school starts a week or even 2 earlier than the elementary and middle schools. They tried to start them at the same time this year, but it failed due to it being too hot to send kids to unairconditioned elementary and middle schools. I guess there has been talk about it, but the threat of tax increases is too much. I think a minor increase was recently approved.

In the adjacent HS district, they basically strong armed the people living in district to approve a tax increase for better sports facilities by threatening to disband the football teams. I think I lived in that district for the initial vote (which was a no from me for a variety of reasons) but not for the second vote. I would approve of an increase to update the facilities to include AC for kids, but not necessarily a new pool. We did not even have a a pool at my high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2023, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Reputation: 32918
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Let's take you, phetaroi. If I recall correctly, you are retired (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm mistaken).

Did you do the very best job you could with the resources available to you? Or did you slack off sometimes?
Let's put it this way. With often limited resources, the school where I was principal was considered to be among the top 5 middle schools in the state...year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2023, 07:06 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Reputation: 46172
Surprise, surprise, surprise.

virtual teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2023, 01:08 PM
 
7,756 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Reputation: 14662
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's put it this way. With often limited resources, the school where I was principal was considered to be among the top 5 middle schools in the state...year after year.
That's a non-answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2023, 01:16 PM
 
7,756 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Reputation: 14662
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, but there are valid reasons to pay more taxes.
Certainly true.

The mistake some make is to say that in order to get a desired outcome, we must pay more taxes. Often, one has nothing to do with the other. Sometimes, the way to get the desired outcome is to redirect spending from something else towards the desired outcome. On this thread we've seen numerous posts asserting spending on Item #A is of no or little value; that being the case, redirect the spending from Item #A towards a higher value-add use.

It is difficult, of course. It requires clear objectives, clear strategies to achieve those objectives, clear and measurable tactics that support the strategies, together with indicators to measure progress. Activities that do not align & support must - not may, must - be de-funded, including headcount, so as to properly fund the priority items. It requires leadership. It requires management. Sometimes, it involves pain and suffering. But it is needed to allow an organization to achieve its objectives. Saying "yes" is usually easy - everyone likes to hear "yes." Saying "no" frequently is not easy. People don't like to be told "no."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2023, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Reputation: 18574
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Certainly true.

The mistake some make is to say that in order to get a desired outcome, we must pay more taxes. Often, one has nothing to do with the other. Sometimes, the way to get the desired outcome is to redirect spending from something else towards the desired outcome. On this thread we've seen numerous posts asserting spending on Item #A is of no or little value; that being the case, redirect the spending from Item #A towards a higher value-add use.

It is difficult, of course. It requires clear objectives, clear strategies to achieve those objectives, clear and measurable tactics that support the strategies, together with indicators to measure progress. Activities that do not align & support must - not may, must - be de-funded, including headcount, so as to properly fund the priority items. It requires leadership. It requires management. Sometimes, it involves pain and suffering. But it is needed to allow an organization to achieve its objectives. Saying "yes" is usually easy - everyone likes to hear "yes." Saying "no" frequently is not easy. People don't like to be told "no."

This is true, and saying "no" to the correct asks is the heart of good management. Which it seems most public schools are not exactly rolling in.

If per-pupil spending was the secret to better outcomes, the DC public school system would be excellent on all counts, because they spend a lot of money per pupil. But a casual look at said system reveals it's not all that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2023, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Reputation: 32918
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
That's a non-answer.
I'm not required to answer in the way you want me to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2023, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Reputation: 32918
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is true, and saying "no" to the correct asks is the heart of good management. Which it seems most public schools are not exactly rolling in.

If per-pupil spending was the secret to better outcomes, the DC public school system would be excellent on all counts, because they spend a lot of money per pupil. But a casual look at said system reveals it's not all that good.
Come on now...you can't compare inner city DC with suburban Montgomery County, Maryland. Different populations, different socioeconomics (by far), and so many more differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2023, 04:36 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Reputation: 12704
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Certainly true.

The mistake some make is to say that in order to get a desired outcome, we must pay more taxes. Often, one has nothing to do with the other. Sometimes, the way to get the desired outcome is to redirect spending from something else towards the desired outcome. On this thread we've seen numerous posts asserting spending on Item #A is of no or little value; that being the case, redirect the spending from Item #A towards a higher value-add use.

It is difficult, of course. It requires clear objectives, clear strategies to achieve those objectives, clear and measurable tactics that support the strategies, together with indicators to measure progress. Activities that do not align & support must - not may, must - be de-funded, including headcount, so as to properly fund the priority items. It requires leadership. It requires management. Sometimes, it involves pain and suffering. But it is needed to allow an organization to achieve its objectives. Saying "yes" is usually easy - everyone likes to hear "yes." Saying "no" frequently is not easy. People don't like to be told "no."
The statement I bolded is 100% accurate. Very few public school districts have an objective to provide the best possible education to their students. Their objective is to push the highest percentage of students to graduation with the least disruption and complaints from parents. I see few teachers who come anywhere close to providing 180 days of education to their students. Students do not have textbooks, they are not assigned homework, they are not engaged for the entire class period, and they spend much of the day on their phones listening to music, playing games, or on social media. But nobody in the schools really care. They don't want to restrict the students or take away their freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2023, 07:36 PM
 
12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Reputation: 34894
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's put it this way. With often limited resources, the school where I was principal was considered to be among the top 5 middle schools in the state...year after year.
Hmm. That kind of goes against the idea of being underfunded then. Sounds like you had an adequate budget, good student body, and parents with good expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top