Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 09:33 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Hmm. That kind of goes against the idea of being underfunded then. Sounds like you had an adequate budget, good student body, and parents with good expectations.
I worked for FCPS- funding was never an issue. Some of those schools had less than 1% free and reduced lunch rates.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Hmm. That kind of goes against the idea of being underfunded then. Sounds like you had an adequate budget, good student body, and parents with good expectations.
Diffferent people would see it different ways. I hated that we had to have an annual fundraiser to get things the school needed. And by the way -- those things purchased through the fundraiser were usually things the parent community was demanding. Or do you not believe schools should listen to the parent community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I worked for FCPS- funding was never an issue. Some of those schools had less than 1% free and reduced lunch rates.
As of October 2022, about 34% of students in FCPS qualified for free and reduced-price meals. And at my school it varied by year from about 5%-9%. And so some years we had as many as about 100 students on free and reduced lunch.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:11 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
With schools, as in most things in life, you have "must haves" and "nice to haves". Where the problem starts is when you don't have enough funding for "must haves" (copy paper, cleaning supplies, textbooks, etc.) and you get orders to use the limited School Operating Resouces for the "nice to haves". Those "nice to haves" could be Chromebooks or class offerings or somebody's mistress who needs a job.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With schools, as in most things in life, you have "must haves" and "nice to haves". Where the problem starts is when you don't have enough funding for "must haves" (copy paper, cleaning supplies, textbooks, etc.) and you get orders to use the limited School Operating Resouces for the "nice to haves". Those "nice to haves" could be Chromebooks or class offerings or somebody's mistress who needs a job.
I'll give an example of that.

Our PTA pushed for us to purchase a 'classroom set' of all textbooks so that students could have their assigned text at home, but use a 'classroom text' in school. Obviously, we didn't have tax payer funds for that, so the parents went through the school to have a multi-year fund raiser. We finally fulfilled what the parents wanted, and I have to admit it was a wise decision. Textbooks lasted more years than they had ever lasted before since there was far less wear and tear on the books, and very few books were ever lost. But, it was one of those "nice to haves". But...it wasn't the school's idea; the idea came from the parents.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:59 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
... Obviously, we didn't have tax payer funds for that, so the parents went through the school to have a multi-year fund raiser...
Sounds like your school had very involved parents, probably mostly 2-parent households (dare I say high-earning?). You've characterized your school as having "often limited resources" but it's amazing what dedicated parents can do not only for their own children, but for future classes.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Sounds like your school had very involved parents, probably mostly 2-parent households (dare I say high-earning?). You've characterized your school as having "often limited resources" but it's amazing what dedicated parents can do not only for their own children, but for future classes.
That varied from richest of the rich to one apartment neighborhood along US-29 where the kids would say, "Mr. Victor, don't ever come over here at night. The drug dealers would shoot a white guy".

Yes, parents can do a lot, but take our same school without the rich parent group and things would have been much different.

Old 09-22-2023, 01:32 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think you and I have spent enough time in bureaucracies to know how the "nice to haves" often get funded while the "must haves" get unfunded. You've probably seen the budget strategy where they fund the "nice to haves" and then present the funding source with no choice but to find extra money to fund the essentials. Back door way to force a budget increase and fund pet projects (or mistresses).

Old 09-22-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I think you and I have spent enough time in bureaucracies to know how the "nice to haves" often get funded while the "must haves" get unfunded. You've probably seen the budget strategy where they fund the "nice to haves" and then present the funding source with no choice but to find extra money to fund the essentials. Back door way to force a budget increase and fund pet projects (or mistresses).
If school budgets weren't usually the only governmental budgets where the taxpayers vote, we wouldn't have to play those games.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As of October 2022, about 34% of students in FCPS qualified for free and reduced-price meals. And at my school it varied by year from about 5%-9%. And so some years we had as many as about 100 students on free and reduced lunch.
Dude…… again, no school in FCPS is hurting for resources. Those numbers you just threw out are proof of that. School I’m at this year, 87% FRL. We consider ourselves very lucky most of ours are reduced, as opposed to free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education