Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-29-2023, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,087 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Reputation: 33119

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You're not permitted to fail them. Now, what do you do?
Let's stop for a minute.

You're saying no students in public schools fail classes?
You're saying no students in public schools fail a grade level?
You're saying no students in public schools fail to graduate?

I have a hunch you're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2023, 11:16 AM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
45,577 posts, read 60,922,955 times
Reputation: 61306
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But selfish attitudes of amateurs who are constant critics and are willing to throw kids aways haven't changed.

Princeton conferred about 1,900 degree last year. MIT 3,861. Harvard nearly 9,000. Yale over 4,000. And most of those students came from public schools. It ain't the desert some here make it out to be.
Bottom line is that the thirteen Baltimore schools that had no one pass the MSA/HSA make the news. The thirteen (or however many) that had an 80%+ pass rate didn't make the news.

That's a lot of it.

If you read the local media and the letters to the Editor from where I grew up you'd think the high school from which I graduated was the dregs below the bottom of the barrel.

The reality is that it has a 95%+ graduation rate with a 50%+ matriculation to four-year colleges rate.

In all honesty it's always been that way (not the college piece when I went over fifty years ago because only we College Prep kids even knew about the SAT and what not), the locals, most of whom went there, have always criticized the school system.

It even had a drop out run for and win multiple terms on the School Board with the campaign slogan "It's time for some payback". Which he proceeded to enact on all the teachers he felt had wronged him in some way.

Rural Pennsylvania seems to have a visceral hate for schools and teachers. I've come to believe it's genetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,087 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Reputation: 33119
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Bottom line is that the thirteen Baltimore schools that had no one pass the MSA/HSA make the news. The thirteen (or however many) that had an 80%+ pass rate didn't make the news.

That's a lot of it.

If you read the local media and the letters to the Editor from where I grew up you'd think the high school from which I graduated was the dregs below the bottom of the barrel.

The reality is that it has a 95%+ graduation rate with a 50%+ matriculation to four-year colleges rate.

In all honesty it's always been that way (not the college piece when I went over fifty years ago because only we College Prep kids even knew about the SAT and what not), the locals, most of whom went there, have always criticized the school system.

It even had a drop out run for and win multiple terms on the School Board with the campaign slogan "It's time for some payback". Which he proceeded to enact on all the teachers he felt had wronged him in some way.

Rural Pennsylvania seems to have a visceral hate for schools and teachers. I've come to believe it's genetic.
I graduated from high school in 1968. That was still an era when the majority of kids graduating from my high school simply continued to live in our small town (or a similar place), work in local factories or on the farm, and a minority went to college. I was from a larger than average extended family, and I was the first of any generation of that family to go to college, and the only one for several years.

What we see in this forum is not so much a hate for public education (although that's certainly an ingredient here), but people who want to make public education a pawn in the culture wars that are tearing this nation apart. Shame on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
17,235 posts, read 57,231,488 times
Reputation: 18637
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Bottom line is that the thirteen Baltimore schools that had no one pass the MSA/HSA make the news. The thirteen (or however many) that had an 80%+ pass rate didn't make the news.

That's a lot of it.

If you read the local media and the letters to the Editor from where I grew up you'd think the high school from which I graduated was the dregs below the bottom of the barrel.

The reality is that it has a 95%+ graduation rate with a 50%+ matriculation to four-year colleges rate.

In all honesty it's always been that way (not the college piece when I went over fifty years ago because only we College Prep kids even knew about the SAT and what not), the locals, most of whom went there, have always criticized the school system.

It even had a drop out run for and win multiple terms on the School Board with the campaign slogan "It's time for some payback". Which he proceeded to enact on all the teachers he felt had wronged him in some way.

Rural Pennsylvania seems to have a visceral hate for schools and teachers. I've come to believe it's genetic.
Hardly just there, the book Anti-Intellectualism in America discusses this uniquely American attitude.

Don't shoot me, l'm just the messenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 12:46 PM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,467 posts, read 18,562,169 times
Reputation: 35220
This is why you can't get teachers in the classroom.
It's happening more often ...

We are raising feral children..like it or not.

https://thepostmillennial.com/teache...flint-michigan
High school teacher knocked unconscious after female student hurls metal chair at her head in Flint, Michigan: source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 01:02 PM
 
12,901 posts, read 9,158,664 times
Reputation: 35061
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No one was sacrificed.

I was principal of what was considered to be one of the most succesful gifted center program in the state of Virginia...if not the top in the state. Principal of the middle school that almost always got the most gifted students into Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology -- "a Virginia state-chartered magnet high school in Fairfax County, Virginia ... A selective admissions program was initiated in 1985 through the cooperation of state and county governments, as well as corporate sponsorship from the defense and technology industries. It is one of 18 Virginia Governor's Schools, and a founding member of the National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science and Technology. In 2021 and 2022, U.S. News & World Report ranked the school first in its annual "Best U.S. High Schools" list."

So don't hand me any crapola about disliking "the good students".
I went to public schools. My kids went to public schools. I saw the middle kids and up be held down in order to spend the entire class time on the four or five who couldn't get it. I experienced the entire class moving at the speed of the bottom few. I experienced teachers' disdain for good students first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You're not permitted to fail them. Now, what do you do?
Fail them. If someone else wants to falsify the record to pretend they passed, they can sign that record. I'm not going to. Wouldn't be the first time I refused an order to falsify a record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I graduated from high school in 1968. That was still an era when the majority of kids graduating from my high school simply continued to live in our small town (or a similar place), work in local factories or on the farm, and a minority went to college. I was from a larger than average extended family, and I was the first of any generation of that family to go to college, and the only one for several years.

What we see in this forum is not so much a hate for public education (although that's certainly an ingredient here), but people who want to make public education a pawn in the culture wars that are tearing this nation apart. Shame on them.
Seems like the only one who wants to make it a pawn is you. We care about education because we have kids in it. You've already let us know that you don't like taxpayers and parents in previous posts. Perhaps you should actually listen to what we have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,087 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Reputation: 33119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I went to public schools. My kids went to public schools. I saw the middle kids and up be held down in order to spend the entire class time on the four or five who couldn't get it. I experienced the entire class moving at the speed of the bottom few. I experienced teachers' disdain for good students first hand.



Fail them. If someone else wants to falsify the record to pretend they passed, they can sign that record. I'm not going to. Wouldn't be the first time I refused an order to falsify a record.



Seems like the only one who wants to make it a pawn is you. We care about education because we have kids in it. You've already let us know that you don't like taxpayers and parents in previous posts. Perhaps you should actually listen to what we have to say.
You may have missed it, but through elected school boards the American school system is at the hands of voters. You folks elected the school boards. You've already done enough damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 02:30 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Reputation: 46311
Quote:
public education a pawn in the culture wars that are tearing this nation apart.


Maybe EDU is just a willing and able participant and enabler of USA social ills? Maybe they should get out of the social engineering role, and turn that over to the 'trained and responsible professionals'. Quit using public schools as a training ground and experiment in how NOT to be a citizen of a productive society. it's not their j-o-b.


i.e. It's broken!

Nothing we can do within the framework of existing USA EDU can be 'bandaid' fixed.
We lost the formula, we're being trounced on the world stage. Schools and EDU is part of that. (A big and foundational part of the game (and success(?)) of our country)

Elected School boards? Elections / politics has no place in effective public education.
We know the deliverable (education). Politics is not an effective way to accomplish a well defined objective. USA politics has outlived it's purpose and usefulness, as soon as schools quit delivering educated. informed, inquisitive, and responsible voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 03:33 PM
 
8,089 posts, read 4,000,826 times
Reputation: 15159
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I notice you put zero responsibility on parents and students.
Please notice I have not assigned responsibility to anyone; I wondered what parents in Baltimore might think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
2. People like you
Gosh. I wonder what phetaroi means when she accusingly says "People like you." She might mean, oh, "incredibly good-looking people." There are times I wish God had made me smarter instead of so darn good-looking. But my guess is phetaroi is not complimentary. Perhaps she means to lump me in a basket with other deplorables.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 09-29-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2023, 03:41 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Reputation: 46311
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Please notice I have not assigned responsibility to anyone.




Gosh. I wonder what phetaroi means when she accusingly says "People like you." She might mean, oh, "incredibly good-looking people." There are times I wish God had made me rich instead of so darn good-looking. But my guess is phetaroi is not complimentary. Perhaps she means to lump me in a basket with other deplorables.
yup, just like Jr Hi...
nanner, nanner
Let's all poke fun at others. (Beats authoring a solution).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top