Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2023, 10:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,807 posts, read 58,359,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
With that group though almost everything tried has been a disaster and a failure.
There comes a time when social problems need to be addressed outside of Public Education, for the sake of the nation and other students, and within the constraints of the available staff.

Know your primary objectives.
Deliver on your responsibilities.
Seek assistance for issues beyond your control. (Don't let that detract from your deliverable)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 11:41 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,053,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
93.76% of all Baltimore City School students are on Free lunch. Not reduced, totally free. Kid you not, out of a school system with over 76,000 students less than 5,000 are from families considered “wealthy” to have enough money to feed their children, even partially. Of the thirteen high schools listed that number is basically zero.
<snip>.
ALL students in my grandchild's elementary school receive free lunch. Trust me, her parents are wealthy.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:53 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,945,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
ALL students in my grandchild's elementary school receive free lunch. Trust me, her parents are wealthy.
It used to be that if 80% of the students in a school qualified for FARM then the entire population at the school received it.

Now, that has changed over the last few years.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:57 AM

51,112 posts, read 24,609,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yes, but that doesn't mean excellent online teachers won't be part of the future of education. I still believe this will increase as more and more parents are dissatisfied with their local schools and look for other options.
Perhaps, but when we tried distance-learning by television for a middle school Latin class, parents HATED it. HATED.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:08 PM

51,112 posts, read 24,609,073 times
Quote:
With that group though almost everything tried has been a disaster and a failure.
And so we need to continue to search for ways to be successful with that group.

The easy ones are...well easy. The professional challenge -- and measure of a real teacher -- is when they continue to work with the ones that aren't easy.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:45 PM

43,478 posts, read 18,584,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
For 2 years all kids in public school got free lunch (pandemic money).
It just ended.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

The easy ones are...well easy. The professional challenge -- and measure of a real teacher -- is when they continue to work with the ones that aren't easy.
Well the latest is to drop tests and change the rules where not turning in homework doesn't count against you, bad behavior doesn't count against you and even grading is being dropped.

Pretty much all they have to do is show up for attendance.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I spent my teaching time in schools doing remedial Math and Math Intervention in Title 1 schools.
I worked with kids that the school had already written off they were so far behind...yet got promoted.

It's near impossible to teach 8th grade math to kids that can barely add 2 single digit numbers and draw bubbles on their paper for multiplication.

They can't do the simple elementary math while grade 8 is introduction to algebra.

You don't fix that with more money.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:29 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,235,206 times
Quote:
There are degrees of failure and the results of the last 3 years make all the previous failures look pretty benign in comparison. For the first time in my career, and it’s been a very long one, I am seriously concerned the public education system might implode. And worse, at this point, part of me is afraid that is the only way we are going to see some of the reforms needed.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are degrees of failure and the results of the last 3 years make all the previous failures look pretty benign in comparison. For the first time in my career, and it’s been a very long one, I am seriously concerned the public education system might implode. And worse, at this point, part of me is afraid that is the only way we are going to see some of the reforms needed.
What it did was to speed up the size and extent of this gap. If there was no pandemic you'd probably see this gap in a few years.

Society got the wake up call early. But it doesn't seem they really want to do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education