Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 01:37 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Supposedly a professional educator and has never heard of the generic "you".

I'll fill you (non-generic) in.

In all languages there are common usages that are not meant to be taken literally. These are called idiomatic expressions. In English the "generic you" is one of these. It is roughly equivalent to "one" in phrases where the exact person being talked about is undefined, or considered as part of a class of people.

Example: "When you dig up big trees, be careful not to strain your back." Here, a literal translation would be something like "If one sets out to dig up a big tree, it's important for the person digging not to strain his or her back." But, because English is a spoken language with a store of idiomatic expressions, it's perfectly acceptable to use the first construction. Replying with something like "But I'm not going to dig up big trees! What do you mean, YOU?" is a non sequitur.

Abruptly challenging the use of idiomatic expressions in one's native language (and yes, I'm assuming the non-generic you is a native English speaker - is this the case?) because their literal meaning doesn't make sense is one of the characteristics of people who are insufficiently educated, or on the autism spectrum.
No, it wasn't clear at all if some of your comments were addressed to a specific person or not. Your post immediately followed one of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 09:47 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I do have some concerns about home school parents who haven't even been to college or never completed a four year degree (not saying that's your situation). Even with a homeschool program I really question whether they have the ability to teach. The law says they have a right to home school. Can't say I think its a good idea.
I was homeschooled and I agree 100%. There are growing FB and reddit groups of us "homeschool alumni" who are very concerned about the lack of standards.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:56 AM

7,742 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I do have some concerns about home school parents who haven't even been to college or never completed a four year degree (not saying that's your situation). Even with a homeschool program I really question whether they have the ability to teach. The law says they have a right to home school. Can't say I think its a good idea.
Sometime around middle school, some students seriously start to question, "Why do I need to learn XXX? When am i ever going to use XXX," where XXX is, say, Algebra/Algebra II/Geometry/various sciences, etc. I imagine it could be difficult for a non-college-educated parent to answer that in a way that it could inspire a student to focus.

Old 10-18-2023, 04:44 PM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Sometime around middle school, some students seriously start to question, "Why do I need to learn XXX? When am i ever going to use XXX," where XXX is, say, Algebra/Algebra II/Geometry/various sciences, etc. I imagine it could be difficult for a non-college-educated parent to answer that in a way that it could inspire a student to focus.
I thought the same thing.

Sometimes I find myself randomly using algebra, using the skills and I don't even realize I'm using them until after the fact. I remember one time laughing to myself, "oh crap, I just created a function!" That's the beauty of it... not all of education is for job descriptions. Sometimes it's about living your life.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
... not all of education is for job descriptions. Sometimes it's about living your life.
Let's hope MOST of education is for living a fullfilled, creative and enjoyable life... NOT for your career (minor detail / can practically do in your sleep).

Just imagine if Education's purpose was for equipping and instilling --- Lifelong learning and intellectual growth, and the application of learned knowledge. what a concept.

Vs... how many can we get to pass this test and graduate (in spite of how we misuse our (their) very limitied and valuable contact and teaching time)

Imagine that "Lightbulb"...

Old 10-19-2023, 08:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Let's hope MOST of education is for living a fullfilled, creative and enjoyable life... NOT for your career (minor detail / can practically do in your sleep).

Just imagine if Education's purpose was for equipping and instilling --- Lifelong learning and intellectual growth, and the application of learned knowledge. what a concept.

Vs... how many can we get to pass this test and graduate (in spite of how we misuse our (their) very limitied and valuable contact and teaching time)

Imagine that "Lightbulb"...
The key word in Redguard's post you are responding to is sometimes.

Yes, I do agree that education has purposes beyond earning a living.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:15 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"Great droves"? The figure I found was 91% of American students are in public schools.
Probably not out of their own volition, however.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:27 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Probably not out of their own volition, however.
Doesn't matter, it's where they are.

Old 10-22-2023, 06:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They have a choice (but it is painful to them personally)

Thus... the majority choose the least painful route (free daycare).

They could choose to work night shift factory jobs and school their own kids (if capable) or join a school co-op.
Or they could forego Cable TV, cars / goods / booze / eating out... and pay for private school.

Old 10-22-2023, 06:57 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It does matter because but for the fact that they, for whatever reason, don’t have better choices, they wouldn’t be there. I get the spirit of your post is taking advantage of that fact, that you have a choice less captive audience, which is a despicable attitude to have. Given the choice, would a parent rather have their kids in a high quality private school, or the local trash quality government run school? Thankfully, my parents had common sense and chose the former, but many aren’t so lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education