Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 06:08 AM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
They have a choice (but it is painful to them personally)

Thus... the majority choose the least painful route (free daycare).

They could choose to work night shift factory jobs and school their own kids (if capable) or join a school co-op.
Or they could forego Cable TV, cars / goods / booze / eating out... and pay for private school.
You really do either live in a bubble or have your own internal head narrative, don't you.

"Work the night shift in the factory". For people whose family members haven't had a legitimate job for generations.

"Home school" by parents who themselves can't read.

Those are the kids who are crashing the scores in almost every school system in the country. That, and the fact that they are now required to stay in school to try to graduate long past any benefit accrues to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 06:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
This happens to be America.

Live where you want.
Work if you want.
Live on the dole of the government if you want. (By pension or by handout)

Choices....
Freedoms.
Classrooms (or not)

Old 10-23-2023, 07:49 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
It does matter because but for the fact that they, for whatever reason, don’t have better choices, they wouldn’t be there. I get the spirit of your post is taking advantage of that fact, that you have a choice less captive audience, which is a despicable attitude to have. Given the choice, would a parent rather have their kids in a high quality private school, or the local trash quality government run school? Thankfully, my parents had common sense and chose the former, but many aren’t so lucky.
Many people are not making a choice between, "a high quality private school, or the local trash quality government run school." I would've had very few choices for a high quality private school for my children. There is one around 30 minutes away and the others would be over an hour drive each way. OTOH, I'm not sure that any of these private schools would've been much better than my local public school district. The local high school has sent students to Ivy League colleges and the military academies almost every year for the past 20 years.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:19 AM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Many people are not making a choice between, "a high quality private school, or the local trash quality government run school." I would've had very few choices for a high quality private school for my children. There is one around 30 minutes away and the others would be over an hour drive each way. OTOH, I'm not sure that any of these private schools would've been much better than my local public school district. The local high school has sent students to Ivy League colleges and the military academies almost every year for the past 20 years.

Actually probably longer.

Old 10-29-2023, 05:26 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
To answer the OP….Since this thread has gone way off the rails…

No, neither virtual education nor virtual teachers work as a substitute to in person instruction, for many reasons.

Old 10-29-2023, 05:27 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The lack of choices is why they are there was my point. But for that, they would be somewhere else.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:17 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Um, no, it can't. You know what would solve the teacher shortage?

Living wages. Educators in my area are paid comparatively well, but that is not true in other parts of the nation. Professionals deserve a professional salary.

Autonomy. Not saying teaching should be a free-for-all, but a local admin and/or government that micromanages every single detail of a classroom lesson is going to cause a problem.

Respect. The teacher bashing that happens across the country is alarming.

Try those things before replacing us with robots or jamming 50 students in a classroom.

Amen, beat me to it!

Old 10-30-2023, 09:51 AM

Not a Teacher or an Educator. My Wife and two out of three of my Daughters are. So my opinion is from the sidelines and maybe less articulate then theirs but here goes. The Parents are stupid so the kids will be stupid! I know pretty basic but true.
Parents come to schools and think they run them, they are obnoxious ,rude demeaning and know very little about heir own children! They won't let Teachers teach and I haven't even gotten to the fact that there are no Teachers out there none. My youngest is the Vice Principle of her school( a former Blue Ribbon School) and the 1st grade teacher. The 5th grade teacher walked in and quit, ...her Husband retired and wants to take a trip(WTF) so they have a Retired Teacher in there as a temp and my daughter does her lesson plans. She Teaches in MD , the other Daughter is a Teacher of 6 years in NC, they're even worse down there.
Like I said I am talking from the sidelines here the Mrs. has taught for 32 years her stories are amazing, the times she had to go to Court in Custody battles, the amount of her own money she spent to make sure the kids had their snack or lunch or clothes. She has dropped presents off at House's of her kids for the Christmas she has delivered meals. Lets not mention the parents who look at school as a baby sitter, the times when the children are brought to school and left there sick and the parents know it.
Why in God's name would anyone want to Teach is beyond me and when I say that to them they say because if they don't the kids suffer .

Ok , my 2 cents, rip me a new one!

Old 10-30-2023, 10:23 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not a Teacher or an Educator. My Wife and two out of three of my Daughters are. So my opinion is from the sidelines and maybe less articulate then theirs but here goes. The Parents are stupid so the kids will be stupid! I know pretty basic but true.
Parents come to schools and think they run them, they are obnoxious ,rude demeaning and know very little about heir own children! They won't let Teachers teach and I haven't even gotten to the fact that there are no Teachers out there none. My youngest is the Vice Principle of her school( a former Blue Ribbon School) and the 1st grade teacher. The 5th grade teacher walked in and quit, ...her Husband retired and wants to take a trip(WTF) so they have a Retired Teacher in there as a temp and my daughter does her lesson plans. She Teaches in MD , the other Daughter is a Teacher of 6 years in NC, they're even worse down there.
Like I said I am talking from the sidelines here the Mrs. has taught for 32 years her stories are amazing, the times she had to go to Court in Custody battles, the amount of her own money she spent to make sure the kids had their snack or lunch or clothes. She has dropped presents off at House's of her kids for the Christmas she has delivered meals. Lets not mention the parents who look at school as a baby sitter, the times when the children are brought to school and left there sick and the parents know it.
Why in God's name would anyone want to Teach is beyond me and when I say that to them they say because if they don't the kids suffer .

Ok , my 2 cents, rip me a new one!
That's worth a lot more than 2 cents. However, just to put things in perspective, there are a lot of wonderful parents out there, too, who are very supportive of teachers, counselors, and administrators. A problem is that the 'constant critics' -- and we have a lot of them right here on the forum -- seem to think they represent all parents and all kids and what America is all about in terms of education. They don't. They have an axe to grind.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's worth a lot more than 2 cents. However, just to put things in perspective, there are a lot of wonderful parents out there, too, who are very supportive of teachers, counselors, and administrators. A problem is that the 'constant critics' -- and we have a lot of them right here on the forum -- seem to think they represent all parents and all kids and what America is all about in terms of education. They don't. They have an axe to grind.
You're correct there are Parents that are supportive but not enough and the ones that are need to speak up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education