Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 07:28 AM

37,740 posts, read 40,793,232 times

Advertisements

My first French teacher in Junior High School (on Long Island) gave 3 major tests per year. After Test 1, she rearranged the row seating by how the students scored on the test. High scores sat in the back. Lower scores sat in the front. French was very much a listening subject rather than a reading or writing subject. Her theory, I assume, was that she had to keep students who scored lower up front so she could be sure they were paying attention to what she said. After Test 2, she rearranged the seating again also based on test scores.

In Kindergarten (NYC) we were arranged by something similar to what you call collaborative seating based on how well we read. The groups were named after songbirds. Had measles the first week of school so my first day of school was delayed until after the groups were formed. I was a bluebird as it was the only seat open. I was a voracious reader all of my life and loved school so that type of seating never hurt me.

Don't have anything else to go by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 11:21 AM

892 posts, read 446,358 times
Collaborative seating has become common, not only in classrooms but in the workplace, and I think it is not productive in the long run. I was a substitute teacher for a bit and there was a class that used collaborative seating for a 4/5th grade class and it was utter chaos. The same school the 5th grade teacher had the usual separate desks for each child. I saw a lot of difference in teaching style between the two teachers and the 4/5th grade teacher was a nightmare for the kids and the parents, the 5th grade teacher was very professional and very good at teaching. This was in the 80's and I have no idea why that one teacher was allowed to use tables with multple seats instead of desks like the rest of the classes, unless it was a matter of materials, not enough desks and lack of budget.

One company I worked for built a new building for the company, to move out of rented space, and the design was collaborative and there is no way I could have worked that way. It was a coporation and since they had taken over the company productivity had plummeted as well as employee comfort/satisfaction. Turn over had been low, but became quite high. I quit just before they moved into the new building and having a problme with cubicles I knew I could not work in collaborative space. it was unreasonable for some of the jobs, including the one I had. The mangers were in glass encased offices around the work areas and they were not allowed to have doors. I worked from home after that and it is so much better for a job where concentration is needed (I lived alone until 2022). I recently retired and it is so nice not to have to get up on a schedule, though I still get up at the same time, I get a lot more done in the mornings because I don't have to log on to work,.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:33 AM

2,525 posts, read 2,638,569 times
Kids don't want to work on their own, and parents don't want to be held accountable. There is only so much schools can do to help students if they don't want to help themselves. It will be a constant circus and parade of this and that methodology. Things are more visual and less boring, but many students tend to be easily distracted and less disciplined- which could be any human being adult or not. But then the behavior issues and intentional distractions with little recourse from the teacher but to keep repeating and re-directing until they have to document up the wazoo and draw the process out- that is what is truly a waste of educational time and resources The seating arrangement and resources available only contribute so much.

I think if you want to complain about the education, make time to home school or help out in the classroom yourself as a volunteer teaching assistant. If you can't make time for any of that, it's understandable, but this is our reality.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,573 posts, read 57,515,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Kids don't want to work on their own, and parents don't want to be held accountable. ..
I think if you want to complain about the education, make time to home school or help out in the classroom yourself as a volunteer teaching assistant. If you can't make time for any of that, it's understandable, but this is our reality.
BTDT ourselves.

As 4th generation educators we homeschooled (unschooled) our own, while volunteering as a family in our pathetic public schools (Because every kid deserves a chance). So did all my siblings and the majority of our close friends and STEM coworkers.

Kids seemed to turn out OK in spite of us (their parents).
Kids are nearing age 40, not rebelled (yet), all are in public service and also mentoring youth (as we have done since day one).

Never had to sit through a 'class' until age 16, when they departed for college (free in our state if you can pass a simple college entrance exam so you don't have to take remedial classes (under 100 level). All paid their own way through college and beyond. All graduated Magna, no thanks to being 'unschooled'. Didn't seem to miss anything except the social ills prevalent there. Plenty of that elsewhere, including their jobs (which they had since before age 16).

Just do it. Get it over with, and Get on with it (serving others, not being a leach.)

Collaborative seating is pretty common in Homeschool (when you HAVE to sit (seldom)).
We always encouraged that collaboration to be with someone wiser and smarter than yourself. No shortage of opportunities .
Often it was fixing lunch for an elderly neighor, then spending the day assisting them with chores. (or caring for them while they are recovering from surgery or illness). Pretty good collaborative training, especially for teens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education