Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 09:12 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,247,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I'm promoting the exact opposite. Phones are to be encouraged during instruction for the purpose of video/audio recording any instruction/teacher. And only used for this purpose. So the student has a copy of class instruction for study/review purposes. Optional for the student.

You can't use your phone if it disrupts class in any way.

Put a large message on a poster in class: "Phones Must Be Silenced During This Class"
I was going to say, yes - encourage the recording of any instruction/teacher to expose the indoctrination that goes on.

The NYT opinion is an attempt to cover it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 09:23 AM

50,985 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
I'm promoting the exact opposite. Phones are to be encouraged during instruction for the purpose of video/audio recording any instruction/teacher. And only used for this purpose. So the student has a copy of class instruction for study/review purposes. Optional for the student.

You can't use your phone if it disrupts class, or distracts you from participating in class.

Put a large message on a poster in class:
"Phones Must Be Silenced During Class
Phones Can Not Be Used For Calls, Messaging, or Entertainment During Class."
I'm just curious. Have you ever been an extended situation where you were in control of 125-200 kids?

And when they don't do what you describe, what will be the consequence(s)?

Old 11-15-2023, 09:35 AM

3,658 posts, read 1,615,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm just curious. Have you ever been an extended situation where you were in control of 125-200 kids?

And when they don't do what you describe, what will be the consequence(s)?
No one can control 125-200 kids. No one can control two kids completely. Kids acting out is to be expected.

If they can't use a phone as instructed, then why expect them to follow any instructions?

Old 11-15-2023, 09:39 AM

50,985 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
No one can control 125-200 kids. No one can control two kids completely. Kids acting out is to be expected.

If they can't use a phone as instructed, then why expect them to follow any instructions?
You didn't answer either question...did you.

Old 11-15-2023, 05:34 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,742,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've never forgotten something that happened in my high school when I was a junior. This was back in the late 1960s, and our school got a regular allotment of powdered eggs from some federal government food surplus program. So about once a week, one of the lunches would be scrambled eggs and sausage. Trouble was, the eggs were green. So the next time that was on the menu, the student body had bonded together -- and somehow not one kid snitched the plan. That Wednesday, instead of the roughly 750 student lunch sales for a typical day, the total number of sales was...zero. And 750 lunches had to be tossed in the garbage. Guess what...the powdered eggs never showed up again.

If students want to play hardball, they can, and that is often underestimated.
Like I told you several years ago, "I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I am."

Old 11-18-2023, 08:06 AM

7,983 posts, read 3,918,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I was going to say, yes - encourage the recording of any instruction/teacher to expose the indoctrination that goes on.
Friends are ethnic Indian, borne & raised in Bangalore, came to the US for grad school & stayed. Their son is school, and came home saying they learned in class that each student can select whatever pronoun they desire.

The Indian mom replied, "You're Indian. Your pronoun is Doctor."

Old 11-20-2023, 12:46 PM

836 posts, read 481,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Cameras work wonders in stores.

Police body cams and car cams give endless hours of visual action about criminals, lawbreakers and law enforcement for anyone to view on YouTube.

How does that work so well?
I hardly ever agree with NBP but for this one, I have to say, I went to a private school for the first two years of HS (9-10) which actually had at least two cameras in every classroom and all other areas of the school (because it was a private school, they were allowed to have cameras everywhere).

My experience with cameras in classrooms is that while it does deter some kids from acting up, the usual rabble rousers and discipline problems usually persist. The troublemakers really didn’t care if their misbehavior was recorded or not.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:57 PM

43,312 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
I hardly ever agree with NBP but for this one, I have to say, I went to a private school for the first two years of HS (9-10) which actually had at least two cameras in every classroom and all other areas of the school (because it was a private school, they were allowed to have cameras everywhere).

My experience with cameras in classrooms is that while it does deter some kids from acting up, the usual rabble rousers and discipline problems usually persist. The troublemakers really didn’t care if their misbehavior was recorded or not.
Oh they do care. I'd take them to the hall right outside the classroom with the door open to talk to them and the first thing they did was scan for the camera and then their whole demeanor changed.

I did wish public schools would put cameras inside the classrooms.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:03 AM

45,552 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Oh they do care. I'd take them to the hall right outside the classroom with the door open to talk to them and the first thing they did was scan for the camera and then their whole demeanor changed.

I did wish public schools would put cameras inside the classrooms.
That would make many Administrators even lazier. Observing a class from the comfort of their offices and Fantasy Sports leagues. Or their couch at hhome.

We had one Principal who did that, watch hallway transitions from his couch at home (anyone could do that if they had the password to the system) and then call into a teacher's classroom to ask why the teacher was talking to a student or why they were ten seconds late out of their room for the transitions. It then spread to the Assistant Principals doing it.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:35 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,606,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
OK. Regardless, we've moved on. Parents have moved on. Punish the behaviors if needed. Punish those who exhibit bad behavior, not everyone because someone might do something. If someone learns the subject and isn't bothering anyone else, what difference does it make if they are texting on their phone or sitting their bored out of their mind so long as they aren't disturbing anyone else?

If they have the phone out talking, well isn't that already an issue, regardless of phone? If they are playing a game beeping and booping and making noise, is that any different than playing football with a piece of paper and disturbing others? What can they do with a phone that disturbs the class that isn't already covered under another rule. Perhaps just enforce the rules that matter rather than making up more rules to enforce.
IMO, it's sad that you would even ask that question.

The answer is because it shows a lack of respect, and the kid's parent....at a minimum the kids parent...should care about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education