Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 08:41 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Like they have those little baskets on restaurant tables for people to deposit their phones to encourage conversation? Put a real BIG one in the principal's office. Parents can call the school in an emergency (not for a Door Dash order). No guns, knives, or phones allowed. Problem solved.
That all sounds so simple. And it will end up being the primary focus of school life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 09:19 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That all sounds so simple. And it will end up being the primary focus of school life.
Why?

Old 11-26-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Why?
Come on. Forget about schools for a while. Just spend a day walking around a seeing how dominant 'phone life' has become...in stores, in offices, at home, while driving, etc. What are you going to do...suspend every student who is caught with his phone in school. I can see the headlines now: SCHOOL SUSPENDS 24 STUDENTS IN ONE DAY. I can see the lawsuits. I can see the teacher frustration. I can see the angry parents and defiant kids. Sorry, as much as I wish cell/smart phones had never been allowed...it's probably beyond control at this point. The only solution I can see is jamming the school, which has downsides, as well.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:39 AM

Guns, knives, and phones not allowed in school. Them's the rules. Period. End of story.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:39 AM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Why?
Because collecting the phones would become the focus of the class. Just like enforcing the uniform policy did. And before that making sure every student had their agenda book. That was after making sure that the kids had their school ID on attached to a breakaway chain. Which was after ensuring that any straps on a girl's top was at least 3/4 of an inch wide (pre-uniforms). Which came after checking to make sure everyone had their shoes tied. Need I go on?

Old 11-26-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Guns, knives, and phones not allowed in school. Them's the rules. Period. End of story.
And of course, everybody follows all the rules. What a laugh.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because collecting the phones would become the focus of the class. Just like enforcing the uniform policy did. And before that making sure every student had their agenda book. That was after making sure that the kids had their school ID on attached to a breakaway chain. Which was after ensuring that any straps on a girl's top was at least 3/4 of an inch wide (pre-uniforms). Which came after checking to make sure everyone had their shoes tied. Need I go on?
You check them at the door when you enter; you pick them up when you leave. You're complicating things.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
You check them at the door when you enter; you pick them up when you leave. You're complicating things.
No, you're simplifying things.

How many guards you gonna hire? Pat downs? Metal detectors? All but one outside door locked?

Old 11-26-2023, 09:50 AM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
No, you're minimizing things. "Pick up at the door". Ok. Jose can't find his even though it's buzzing. Elaine has to dig through her purse. DeQuan is lagging back because he hopes that he'll be forgotten about. And so on. John then says his mother told him he didn't have to turn his over.

One thing that's forgotten, and I've mentioned it a couple times in this thread (and I fought the cell phone wars for years) is that schools now expect the kids to use the calculator on their phones so the school doesn't have to supply them.

Of the examples I listed the uniform policy was the biggest pain in the ass. I got a Teacher Compliance Form more than once because a kid had charcoal colored sweater on instead of the required black one. One of my Principals hauled a girl back to me in the middle of a class because he saw her in the hall wearing hooker heels, wanted to know why I didn't catch them in class. Girl tells him that she wasn't wearing them in class and had put them on after she left. Which was confirmed when the hallway video was reviewed. She'd put them on while she was talking to one of the Vice Principals, who'd been the one who had tried to throw me under the bus.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:53 AM

I'm going to tell you a little story...a true story. One month when we were having our monthly middle school principal's meeting (there were 24 of us), one of the principals announced she was going to institute a new rule in her school -- no student was allowed to touch another student...the purpose of which was to eliminate any hint of bullying and physical harassment. No shaking hands, no high fives, no hugging, no arm punches in fun...no touching period. No exceptions. I spoke up and said that I was willing to bet that principal $100 that she would be on the front page of Metro section of the big city newspaper within a week of instituting the rule, that the press coverage and public reaction would be brutal, and that she'd be forced to rescind the rule. They all laughed (although none of them took the bet). Less than a week later, there she was on the front page of the Metro section, being lambasted. And, indeed, on orders from the district, she was forced to rescind the rule. She later admitted it was hell.

It's sort of the concept of "consent of the governed".

Guns and knives are different. In many localities they're literally illegal. Smart phones aren't illegal. Few people actually carry guns and knives. Most people use a smart phone. And the governed are not going to consent without a knock down drag out fight over it. And ultimately, they'll win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education