Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 08:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
If the phones in school could only be used for making calls and recording video and did not have internet that would be a perfect compromise. We need to normalize a different kind of phone that does not have internet or apps. I guess Gabb Phone is one such product. And we need to make it shameful and culturally unacceptable for parents to give their kids unrestricted, unsupervised access to internet and social media. There is no reason a kid needs to have the same type of phone an adult has.
Maybe they can come up with a "school mode" similar to airplane mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 08:29 AM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Maybe they can come up with a "school mode" similar to airplane mode.
And then teachers would have to check that the phones were set to that, along with making sure shirts are tucked in, the uniform shirts have no logo or only the school's one, that belts were non-studded, sweaters are black and not charcoal, pants are not cargo style, shoes are one color with flat soles with no designs, socks are one color with no designs, students have their planners, backpacks are clear or mesh, etc.

God knows what you'd have to do at a private school.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:38 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And then teachers would have to check that the phones were set to that, along with making sure shirts are tucked in, the uniform shirts have no logo or only the school's one, that belts were non-studded, sweaters are black and not charcoal, pants are not cargo style, shoes are one color with flat soles with no designs, socks are one color with no designs, students have their planners, backpacks are clear or mesh, etc.

We all have a job to do, no?

Old 11-14-2023, 08:40 AM

3,645 posts, read 1,600,118 times
I've changed my mind. Allow phones in class, and allow any student that wants to record video or audio to do so. Even in class. So they can use it for study/review later.

ALL teachers should be video or audio recorded when they teach, so that students, or anyone, can play it back later, for study purposes. Since schools don't provide this I would allow the student to use their phones for this purpose (and only for this purpose).

Using a phone a way the disrupts class or persons, like talking on the phone, or any sounds from the phone will not be permitted, and can result it suspension of using a phone in class. Also not allowed is taking video/audio of someone without their permission (unless it's a crime or some violation). School should require phone etiquette/proper use instructions the students must follow, or have their phone use suspended.

So if the teacher allows it, a student should be able to video or audio record the teacher (when teaching). I would even consider allowing it even if the teacher doesn't want to be video or audio recorded.

Way before computers and cell phones I was allowed to audio record my political science teacher IN class, while she spoke. I had a portable cassette recorder. I asked permission and she was ok with it. I found the topic difficult to learn, and she would teach all during class and it was complex. At home I could play back the class and it was very helpful.

Also, it will be made clear this is a student privilege and that a teacher or admin can inspect a student's phone at any time.

Last edited by james112; 11-14-2023 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-14-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We all have a job to do, no?
Do that for 35 kids then get back to me.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:47 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok, then, do you agree with dealing with the individual behavior or do you support a blanket policy of just banning cell phones?
While related, to me 2 separate issues.

I support a total ban for students having cell phones in classrooms.
What the consequences would be needs to be tailored to the student and the incident.

But I will say this -- there cannot be mass suspensions over this issue.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:15 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Do that for 35 kids then get back to me.
In case you weren’t aware, most work involves dealing with crap 90% of the time.

That is why we have to get paid to do things we otherwise never would do.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In case you weren’t aware, most work involves dealing with crap 90% of the time.

That is why we have to get paid to do things we otherwise never would do.
I'm aware of more than you know. What you don't know is pling more onto classroom people becomes self-defeating.

How long will it take to assure the phones are on 'School Mode". Keep in mind the teacher only has four minutes to do that as well as the other things I listed (one reason I despised school uniforms) in addition to taking attendance, dealing with tardies as well as miscellaneous issues that come up.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:59 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I've changed my mind. Allow phones in class, and allow any student that wants to record video or audio to do so. Even in class. So they can use it for study/review later.

ALL teachers should be video or audio recorded when they teach, so that students, or anyone, can play it back later, for study purposes. Since schools don't provide this I would allow the student to use their phones for this purpose (and only for this purpose).

Using a phone a way the disrupts class or persons, like talking on the phone, or any sounds from the phone will not be permitted, and can result it suspension of using a phone in class. Also not allowed is taking video/audio of someone without their permission (unless it's a crime or some violation). School should require phone etiquette/proper use instructions the students must follow, or have their phone use suspended.

So if the teacher allows it, a student should be able to video or audio record the teacher (when teaching). I would even consider allowing it even if the teacher doesn't want to be video or audio recorded.

Way before computers and cell phones I was allowed to audio record my political science teacher IN class, while she spoke. I had a portable cassette recorder. I asked permission and she was ok with it. I found the topic difficult to learn, and she would teach all during class and it was complex. At home I could play back the class and it was very helpful.

Also, it will be made clear this is a student privilege and that a teacher or admin can inspect a student's phone at any time.

Does anyone remember the LiveScribe pens and notebooks? Our daughter used them during her first year in college back in 2006. It was a system in which the pen activated an audio recorder linked to a physical notebook on which you would take notes with the pen. The recording playback could be cued by touching the pen to the point in the notebook where the user took the notes simultaneously with the recording. I suppose they have an app for that now.

Old 11-14-2023, 01:36 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:

lol..I was at one school where an additional "check" was made...for gang colors or gang tattoos showing.
This was middle school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education