Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2023, 08:00 AM
Status: "Nothin' to lose" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Concord, CA
7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Reputation: 25617

Advertisements

Solution?

Bill Maher's "Catholic School"


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hQl...ewithBillMaher

 
Old 11-17-2023, 08:27 AM
 
19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Reputation: 17269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Can anyone read the article?
I was able to skim it. Per the article the opening thesis is AZ charter kids test below national averages but the article closes with AZ public school kids test worse than national averages too - I love how reporters save critical countervailing info. for the end. The story was long on implication but very short on hard detail. Like which kids tend to attend charters in AZ.

The story reads as if it were written by The NEA.
 
Old 11-17-2023, 08:33 AM
 
5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Reputation: 7022
My daughter went to a charter school for 6th to 8th. She is now going to a public school in 9th grade and is much more advanced then the other students.
 
Old 11-17-2023, 09:28 AM
 
12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Reputation: 34914
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I was able to skim it. Per the article the opening thesis is AZ charter kids test below national averages but the article closes with AZ public school kids test worse than national averages too - I love how reporters save critical countervailing info. for the end. The story was long on implication but very short on hard detail. Like which kids tend to attend charters in AZ.

The story reads as if it were written by The NEA.
Thank you. I couldn't get past the paywall.
 
Old 11-17-2023, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Thank you. I couldn't get past the paywall.
All you have to do is Goggle "how do charter schools in arizona rank in national testing" to find multiple sources that cover the same news.
 
Old 11-17-2023, 11:41 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Reputation: 46172
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
...The story was long on implication but very short on hard detail. Like which kids tend to attend charters in AZ.

The story reads as if it were written by The NEA.
as expected for selling 'news'. (propaganda for vulnerable consumers)

I suppose AZ edu is in the lowest percentile for defining USA EDU. (why even look there?)

Charter Schools have more leeway and far less resources than public, so it is reasonable to expect larger variation in results. There are plenty of charters who perform excellent, as they cater to 'free market' school choice. Who is gonna intentionally send their kid to a poor performing school. These reported might be the BEST around! .
 
Old 11-17-2023, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Reputation: 16325
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
All you have to do is Goggle "how do charter schools in arizona rank in national testing" to find multiple sources that cover the same news.
No offense, but this sounds like nonsense.

This is from the article:
"In Arizona, however, the charter school student achievement ranking was closely aligned with the student achievement ranking when taking into account all public schools. California's charter school student achievement ranking and the student achievement ranking for all public schools are similar to Arizona's, according to the report."

Arizona charter school scores align closely with Arizona public school scores. And if AZ charter schools are worse than the national average, then so are AZ public schools. As an aside, CA is about the same as AZ for public and charter schools.

If I am misunderstanding, please correct me.
 
Old 11-17-2023, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No offense, but this sounds like nonsense.

This is from the article:
"In Arizona, however, the charter school student achievement ranking was closely aligned with the student achievement ranking when taking into account all public schools. California's charter school student achievement ranking and the student achievement ranking for all public schools are similar to Arizona's, according to the report."

Arizona charter school scores align closely with Arizona public school scores. And if AZ charter schools are worse than the national average, then so are AZ public schools. As an aside, CA is about the same as AZ for public and charter schools.

If I am misunderstanding, please correct me.
I don't think you're misunderstanding at all. To me it is saying that it doesn't much matter whether you are in an Arizona public school or an Arizona charter school. Somewhat similar results. But in a sense, that was my original point -- charter schools are not the answer some here have promised they would be. And it gets down to the same old basic truth -- all the east solutions that a couple of posters here just toss out as the answer, are simplifications with little substance.
 
Old 11-17-2023, 04:32 PM
 
12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Reputation: 34914
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
All you have to do is Goggle "how do charter schools in arizona rank in national testing" to find multiple sources that cover the same news.
Ah, so you just post a link, behind a paywall, without providing any context, and leave it up to everyone to guess what your point is.
 
Old 11-17-2023, 04:36 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Reputation: 12705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ah, so you just post a link, behind a paywall, without providing any context, and leave it up to everyone to guess what your point is.
It is not behind a paywall. I was able to access the article and I don't have a subscription to that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top