Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 06:15 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,666,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Would you mind repeating that in English?
In other words, they should stick with academics.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:41 PM

7,273 posts, read 3,485,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
that's called college
that's called certification
that's called evaluation
LOL! I didn't know you did Stand Up.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Old 11-19-2023, 06:55 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 9 days ago)

34,403 posts, read 16,510,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
In other words, they should stick with academics.
No indoctrination, race studies or gender selection?

Old 11-19-2023, 07:24 PM

10,244 posts, read 10,494,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
. Want to fix the schools? Get the social engineering OUT.

That may take a reboot.

As in giving the boot to those on control.

We have a virus within, and it feeds upon itself.

The irony is thick (as clearly evidenced here)
I've been subbing in over a dozen different school districts for 10 years. I've seen no evidence of social engineering. Even if there was, it would not fix the problems in schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
All of the above does not equal academic delivery, especially if evaluations are done internally

Once stuck inside USA academia, a brighter future is illusive

There is no competition to USA public education (nor is there competition within USA public education.) Keep everyone dumb, and your pension is safe!

Americans are very easy to fool, and control.

Our enemies know that.
Our primary enemies are within. And doing very well
I agree with you in regard to competition. I've found many teachers who do not push the students and give them grades for things like completing a word search or crossword puzzle, or coloring a map, etc. This is in high school. I've also found many teachers are out of the classroom for too many days out of the school year. Many of the days are for education or planning. I subbed for a small high school recently where as many as eleven teachers were out for all or part of the week. There doesn't seem to be any concern about covering a minimum amount of content in a school year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The fundamental problem is, how do you get the social engineering out? Because the people who go into education believe in social engineering and those who are against it, don't go into education. How do you break the echo chamber that is the Education Industrial Complex -- the mix of Education Colleges; Education Unions; Education publishers; and Education Managers who control every step of education from the time an aspiring teacher starts training to the books and materials used in schools to the selection and promotion of teachers to management positions to the policies that get enacted into law?

People screamed about the so called military industrial complex, but it is the Education Industrial Complex that is the real problem.
Any evidence for what I bolded or did your just make it up. BTW, I know some people who went into education because they wanted to coach sports.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:56 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Charter schools often have no oversight or checks and balances. Not to mention public schools adhere to state standards. Just putting that out there.
Exactly. Charter schools can be totally hit and miss.

With public schools, you can find their ratings on greatschools.com, and also on their school district websites, and decide whether you want to send your kids there.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:35 PM

12,579 posts, read 8,812,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've been subbing in over a dozen different school districts for 10 years. I've seen no evidence of social engineering. Even if there was, it would not fix the problems in schools.

Any evidence for what I bolded or did your just make it up. BTW, I know some people who went into education because they wanted to coach sports.
Here is just one example here on CD:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/teac...e-parents.html

There are plenty of others, on CD, in the media.

If in doubt, you can also check the NEA and AFT websites. They aren't even trying to hide the social engineering they are advocating.

But you are correct -- it's not going to fix the problems in schools because it is one of the causes of the problems in schools.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:47 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,062,023 times
Schools have always taught morality and social norms. I would be passed if my daughters kindergarten teacher wasn't teaching kids to share.

The issue isn't "social engineering" it's that there isn't currently any consensus on what set of ethics aught to be taught. Some of the same people who rant against DEI are the same that want to bring back prayer, or enforce standing for the flag, or bring back national pride in the way history is taught etc.

There really is no way to sidestep the important social and moral role of schools.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:15 AM

50,125 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Schools have always taught morality and social norms. I would be passed if my daughters kindergarten teacher wasn't teaching kids to share.

The issue isn't "social engineering" it's that there isn't currently any consensus on what set of ethics aught to be taught. Some of the same people who rant against DEI are the same that want to bring back prayer, or enforce standing for the flag, or bring back national pride in the way history is taught etc.

There really is no way to sidestep the important social and moral role of schools.
Well stated.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:43 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 9 days ago)

34,403 posts, read 16,510,164 times
Quote:
Agreed so far.

Quote:
Do I count? I don't want prayer in the schools. I don't want DEI. There are people who are eclectic and not ideological.

Quote:
In general schools should teach, not indoctrinate.

Last edited by jbgusa; 11-20-2023 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-20-2023, 12:51 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,702,664 times
Quote:

There really no way to sidestep the important social and moral role of schools.

I'm an atheist. I generally don't support in school organized prayer. Some, kids/coaches/parents want to pray or be led in prayer before a football game, no big deal. If a domo wants to start the school day with prayer over the PA I've got a problem.

Many current DEI initiatives are most certainly social engineering efforts. Driving and selling the equity over merit ethos is unquestionably social engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education