Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 12:07 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm an atheist. I generally don't support in school organized prayer. Some, kids/coaches/parents want to pray or be led in prayer before a football game, no big deal. If a domo wants to start the school day with prayer over the PA I've got a problem.

Many current DEI initiatives are most certainly social engineering efforts. Driving and selling the equity over merit ethos is unquestionably social engineering.
First paragraph, I agree.

Bolded...perhaps. But if the right-of-center was in control of our schools systems, do we really think they wouldn't incorporate their brand of social engineering into our schools? To be honest, keeping things neutral is one of the challenges, as I learned from a very conservative college professor that I had; I thought I was taking a course on Public Educational Finance, but no, it turned out to be a course on Reagonomics...with no mention of schools and taught by a professor who had never worked in a school system.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:14 PM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First paragraph, I agree.

Bolded...perhaps. But if the right-of-center was in control of our schools systems, do we really think they wouldn't incorporate their brand of social engineering into our schools? To be honest, keeping things neutral is one of the challenges, as I learned from a very conservative college professor that I had; I thought I was taking a course on Public Educational Finance, but no, it turned out to be a course on Reagonomics...with no mention of schools and taught by a professor who had never worked in a school system.
Two wrongs don't make a right. But National Lampoon suggested, "but three do" in a poem called Deteriorata.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:24 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. But National Lampoon suggested, "but three do" in a poem called Deteriorata.
Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Don't put words in my mouth.
I was joking. Nothing National Lampoon said was serious.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:47 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Obviously, having oversight and state standards means nothing when students from charter and private schools routinely outperform those from public schools.
Test scores don't mean jack when you are allowed to cherry pick like charter and private schools do. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Also, since I know someone will say it, public schools are actually less likely to indoctrinate students due to oversight.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
No indoctrination, race studies or gender selection?
This is such a tired argument. Do you have anything new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Here is just one example here on CD:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/teac...e-parents.html

There are plenty of others, on CD, in the media.

If in doubt, you can also check the NEA and AFT websites. They aren't even trying to hide the social engineering they are advocating.

But you are correct -- it's not going to fix the problems in schools because it is one of the causes of the problems in schools.
Care to explain this "Social engineering?"

Old 11-20-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Quote:
Would you mind repeating that in English?
In other words, they should stick with academics.
No indoctrination, race studies or gender selection?
This is such a tired argument. Do you have anything new?
What makes it "tired?" That you have no good answer? Why should the color of skin mean anything to anybody? Why should children be told they need to select a gender?
Quote:
Care to explain this "Social engineering?"
It's trying to use school-age children as a vehicle to change the world towards someone's view of a better world? Children are not a vehicle to social change.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
What makes it "tired?" That you have no good answer? Why should the color of skin mean anything to anybody? Why should children be told they need to select a gender?
It's trying to use school-age children as a vehicle to change the world towards someone's view of a better world? Children are not a vehicle to social change.
Because people say indoctrination when they disagree with something. It makes your IQ drop. Got some examples of using school age children as vehicles?

Old 11-20-2023, 03:42 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Because people say indoctrination when they disagree with something. It makes your IQ drop. Got some examples of using school age children as vehicles?
DEI is indoctrination, plain and simple.

Nobody should be fooled by that.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
.... Got some examples of using school age children as vehicles?
This month in Portland Oregon, the teachers encouraged their students to walk the picket lines with their beloved teachers who were striking for more pay.

(Please don't look at their test scores)

irrelevant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.