Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 08:36 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sorry, offering fewer GT classes.
Are you talking about how students are identified as GT?

Old 11-20-2023, 09:12 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you talking about how students are identified as GT?

No. I'm talking about districts reducing the number of gifted and talent classes offered in the name of equity.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
So we are about to get into a philosophical discussion about "what is merit, how should it be measured, and how is it best rewarded" that's a discussion worth having but it's off topic and I'm not really interested in having it here. You didn't posit that teachers support anti-merit policy's but that they were indoctrinating the youth. I hope you can see how those are different claims.
Not really. Everyone who is even a little bit honest, and even a little bit contextually knowledgeable, knows that standardized testing is more accurate than grading across large numbers of kids attending schools of wildly varying expectations/rigor demands....want to argue that the average student in MA is as challenged as the average student in WY? NMSF cutoff scores - and a dozen other things - won't be on your side if so.

I did posit that teacher's support anti-merit efforts via my comments per the NEA and "Fairtest" because teachers absolutely do support "Fairtest" via union dues.

I do see the narrow distinction(s) you are leveraging. I'd hope you see that anti-merit policies noted are in fact important parts of the DEI/CRT melange. And even if you don't it's important to note your side is as of now beginning to loose these arguments.

Last edited by EDS_; 11-20-2023 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-20-2023, 09:51 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
No. I'm talking about districts reducing the number of gifted and talent classes offered in the name of equity.
In other words, legitimate GT students are not receiving GT services.

That's just plain wrong of those districts.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:59 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
I thought what he was saying was that he teaches kids critical thinking skills. Are you afraid of critical thinking?
I'm all for critical thinking. Critical thinking is good. Education is good. Influencing a child contrary to their parents is not the school systems job. These sentences, taken together, fall in the same vein as other version of same thought path -- parents are the enemy; if parents don't agree, then parents are wrong.

Why the need to influence at all? Why that wording when it's not school's job?

Quote:
Personally I have always seen it as my mission to give students the tools they need to decide these things for themselves the issue is that sometimes parents don't actually want that.
Quote:
That's my point. There is a lot of influencing that people accept, irs when the balance of power shifts and the influencing starts to move the other direction that people get upset.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
In other words, legitimate GT students are not receiving GT services.

That's just plain wrong of those districts.
Yes it is and the drawdowns are being done in the name of equity.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm all for critical thinking. Critical thinking is good. Education is good. Influencing a child contrary to their parents is not the school systems job. These sentences, taken together, fall in the same vein as other version of same thought path -- parents are the enemy; if parents don't agree, then parents are wrong.

For the win.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:45 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:

There are a lot of parents that don't even understand the concept of critical thinking. They want parrots that regurgitate their own dogma which in a lot of cases is garbage. It's antithetical to critical thinking.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:27 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:

I don't think children should be treated as property. I think they have a right as they grow up to be allowed to have an internal life separate from their parents. And I DO think one of the jobs of school is to provide the opportunity for them to do that. If that makes me the bad guy to some folks on CD I think I'm okay with that.

I don't think that it's the schools job to influence children in a specific direction (other than not hitting, calling mean names, going to class etc.,)

Kids are going to be influenced by a ton of things, their friends, the TV, TikTok etc. If parents want to be the primary influence in their children's lives it's actually quite easy to do: be an active, involved, and loving parent who takes the time to do it. I see it all the time, teens who have been raised with strong values. It isn't actually rocket science. It is work.

Last edited by history nerd; 11-21-2023 at 05:43 AM..

Old 11-21-2023, 06:08 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
The charter school that all three of my kids attended, was named the best overall high school in the state. 97% graduation rate with 80% or higher scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.