Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2023, 11:24 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's called CRE..culturally responsive education.
The only way I'd want my children's education to be "culturally responsive" is in emphasizing success in the dominant culture.

Back when I was a kid in the segregated George Washington Carver Elementary, at the dawn of the Civil Rights era with black teachers and a black principal, that's how they taught us: "You will be the first generation to get the chance to enter the white culture. This is what it takes to survive in the white culture, so this is what you're going to learn."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 11:31 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The only way I'd want my children's education to be "culturally responsive" is in emphasizing success in the dominant culture.

Back when I was a kid in the segregated George Washington Carver Elementary, at the dawn of the Civil Rights era with black teachers and a black principal, that's how they taught us: "You will be the first generation to get the chance to enter the white culture. This is what it takes to survive in the white culture, so this is what you're going to learn."
that's a very fine -- and potentially dangerous -- line

Old 12-02-2023, 11:40 AM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:

How true. Equal opportunity finally came to fruition.

We seem to be going backwards today.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
and we chose to equip and expose our kids to be cross-cultural focused. (Thus we raised them as minorities, overseas, not in an English speaking dominant culture.)

<50 % of my immediate STEM work group, and 90% of my deliverable has been with collaborating cross culturally to non-native English speakers since the mid 1980's. Everyday immersed in foreign cultures and business groups (and objectives). Often 5+ cultures and language groups needed to be communicated with and agreed in purpose and direction - daily.

That's not uncommon. It's 'real life' in the international world we live and work (and educate) in.

I have my doubts the USA will remain a dominant culture into the future.

English may prevail as a 'language-of-business', but you best know what's on people minds and backroom discussions, to understand exactly where they are strategically headed in the performance of your business and relationships.

No need for 'surprises' when you report to your management what you have been accomplishing for the past few months, and how 'smoothly' your multi-cultural factory is performing to fill the shelves around the world for Christmas / seasonal promotions.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:31 PM

27,586 posts, read 28,700,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I frequently use Spanish in my job and my Spanish-language skills are partly what gave me an advantage over other candidates for the same job.

The exact same thing is true of my wife. She gets a pay bonus for being fluent in Spanish.
In 30 years of working in computer, engineering and legal fields, I have never been required to learn Spanish or any other foreign language to do my job.

At most, it has been like icing on the cake.

It looks like people can have very different experiences when it comes to foreign languages.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:36 PM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and we chose to equip and expose our kids to be cross-cultural focused. (Thus we raised them as minorities, overseas, not in an English speaking dominant culture.)

<50 % of my immediate STEM work group, and 90% of my deliverable has been with collaborating cross culturally to non-native English speakers since the mid 1980's. Everyday immersed in foreign cultures and business groups (and objectives). Often 5+ cultures and language groups needed to be communicated with and agreed in purpose and direction - daily.

That's not uncommon. It's 'real life' in the international world we live and work (and educate) in.

I have my doubts the USA will remain a dominant culture into the future.

English may prevail as a 'language-of-business', but you best know what's on people minds and backroom discussions, to understand exactly where they are strategically headed in the performance of your business and relationships.

No need for 'surprises' when you report to your management what you have been accomplishing for the past few months, and how 'smoothly' your multi-cultural factory is performing to fill the shelves around the world for Christmas / seasonal promotions.
It's taught in schools all over the world.
English is the "lingua franca" of business and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

Old 12-02-2023, 03:12 PM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Or make life easier in their environment. I heartily advise any Texan to learn a bit of Spanish.
I heartily advise any US citizen who expects, one day, to be in an Assisted Living Facility or Skilled Nursing Facility and who needs to ask to have their diaper or Depends changed to learn Spanish.

Old 12-02-2023, 03:17 PM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Neighbors of ours are ethnic Indians, having been born & raised & educated in Bangalore, then came to the USA for graduate school, earned their PhDs (one in Electrical Engineering; the other in Material Science), stayed in the USA, married one another, and are now raising a family. They are a lovely couple, and their kids are great.

The son came home one day and reported that in school they've learned each person can choose their own pronoun.

The mom retorted, "Choose your pronoun??? You're Indian. Your pronoun will be Doctor."

Old 12-02-2023, 03:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Neighbors of ours are ethnic Indians, having been born & raised & educated in Bangalore, then came to the USA for graduate school, ...
The son came home one day and reported that in school they've learned each person can choose their own pronoun.

The mom retorted, "Choose your pronoun??? You're Indian. Your pronoun will be Doctor."
Yes, we hosted a 3 generation family of National Indian educators last month.

Higher achievement throughout generations is a given, not an option, not negotiable.

And I didn't realize how dearly they pay for k-12.

You pay for RESULTS (as in much of the world), especially evident in UK.

You pay as much as you can scratch together for the highest appointment you can get. Then you pay more, and continue to pay.

Old 12-02-2023, 04:34 PM

19,815 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I frequently use Spanish in my job and my Spanish-language skills are partly what gave me an advantage over other candidates for the same job. The exact same thing is true of my wife. She gets a pay bonus for being fluent in Spanish.

In any event, I would suggest that for the vast majority of students, language skills are more valuable than say "learning to code." A tiny number of students who take a computer coding class ever do it for a living. Worse still is the nonsense of teaching middle-aged coal miners or loggers how to code.

And don't be too sure that English will always be the lingua franca so to speak. That is only a recent development and can change. English usage in the EU is on the decline, for example, after Brexit. If we go through a similar round of isolationism and disengagement under a second Trump Administration the rest of the world might well start to move on.
English is a lock remain the most important language worldwide for a very long while for two key reasons:

A. English is the dominant language of finance, trade and general commerce.

and-

B. English is the dominant language of science and medicine.

As a comment English will remain the dominant language across the EU for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education