Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2023, 04:35 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I heartily advise any US citizen who expects, one day, to be in an Assisted Living Facility or Skilled Nursing Facility and who needs to ask to have their diaper or Depends changed to learn Spanish.
At least learn the universal hand signal for, "Stop!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 08:16 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
English is a lock remain the most important language worldwide for a very long while for two key reasons:

A. English is the dominant language of finance, trade and general commerce.

and-

B. English is the dominant language of science and medicine.

As a comment English will remain the dominant language across the EU for many years.
And the Chinese don't seem to have an intention of replacing English in those roles. So, who else would there be?

I remember back in the 80s everyone thought we needed to learn Japanese.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
True...

Not true.

Take the California Mathematics Curriculum Framework promoted by progressive woke ideologues and adopted several months ago. Among other bad things, it:

• Promotes fringe teaching methods such as “trauma-informed pedagogy.” [ch. 2, p. 16]
  • Distracts from actual mathematics by having teachers insert “environmental and social justice” into the math curriculum. [ch. 1, p. 35]
  • Distracts from actual mathematics by having teachers develop students’ “sociopolitical consciousness.” [ch. 2, p. 39]
  • Distracts from actual mathematics by assigning students—as schoolwork—tasks it says will solve “problems that result in social inequalities.” [ch. 7, p. 29]
  • Urges teachers to take a “justice-oriented perspective at any grade level, K–12” and explicitly rejects the idea that mathematics itself is a “neutral discipline.” [ch. 2, p. 29]
  • Encourages focusing on “contributions that historically marginalized people have made to mathematics” rather than on those contributions themselves which have been essential to the academic discipline of mathematics. [ch. 2, p. 31]
  • “Reject[s] ideas of natural gifts and talents” and discourages accelerating talented mathematics students. [ch. 1, p. 8]
  • Encourages keeping all students together in the same math program until the 11th grade and argues that offering differentiated programs causes student “fragility” and racial animosity. [ch.1, p. 15]
  • Rejects the longstanding goal of preparing students to take Algebra I in eighth grade, on par with high-performing foreign countries whose inhabitants will be future competitors of America's children—a goal explicitly part of the 1999 and 2006 Math Frameworks. [ch. 9, p. 43]

Instruction of the calculation and use of percentages will include, for example, "Let's say Jamar earns the California minimum wage of $15.50 per hour, works 30 hours per week, and his rent is $1200 per month. Ignoring taxes, what percentage of his pay goes to rent? What percentage of his paycheck is fair to pay for rent? What if the minimum wage goes up to $20 per hour - what percentage of his pay then goes to rent?"

Ask yourself, what is the likely impact of the implementation of the new California Mathematics Curriculum Framework on the number of students who pursue science and engineering once they set foot on a college campus?

https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=13658
Any time someone starts talking about a "progressive woke ideology" in public schools. They lost me. Haven't seen it here. Its just a conservative talking point.

Old 12-03-2023, 08:28 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Any time someone starts talking about a "progressive woke ideology" in public schools. They lost me. Haven't seen it here. Its just a conservative talking point.
No chance, this stuff is real and it's happening.

Might you argue with any of the substantive points the other guy made by showing changes in curriculum?

Old 12-03-2023, 10:02 AM

13,645 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am not impressed by foreign language classes. At my middle school we offered 2 years of French, Spanish, and sometimes Latin. And I don't know of a single student who ever used that language in their career...
A knowledge of German continues to be immensely useful for aeronautical engineers in particular, and for practitioners in mechanical-type of engineering or even in physics in general. In grad school, my counterparts in the math program were expected to learn two out of three of {French, Russian, Ger*****, as part of their candidacy exam.

It's true that post-1990 or so, English has overwhelmingly taken over, as the language of scientific journals or conferences or textbooks. But even today, if one wishes to read the classical literature in the field, it's helpful to know one of the principal European languages.

There is a fusion and an embrace between the sciences and the humanities, if the latter are understood broadly. Yet another failure of the American education-system, is a failure to understand this connection.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:09 AM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A knowledge of German continues to be immensely useful for aeronautical engineers in particular, and for practitioners in mechanical-type of engineering or even in physics in general. In grad school, my counterparts in the math program were expected to learn two out of three of {French, Russian, Ger*****, as part of their candidacy exam.

It's true that post-1990 or so, English has overwhelmingly taken over, as the language of scientific journals or conferences or textbooks. But even today, if one wishes to read the classical literature in the field, it's helpful to know one of the principal European languages.

There is a fusion and an embrace between the sciences and the humanities, if the latter are understood broadly. Yet another failure of the American education-system, is a failure to understand this connection.
So of the students who take German, what percent become aeronautical engineers?

And I know that people are just flocking to read classical literature in their field once they are out of college.

It isn't the failure of schools...it's the failure of students and parents to show a continued interest. To a large degree...through Boards Of Education...schools follow public opinion more than most realize or want to admit. Of course one problem with that is that public opinion doesn't exist. Widely diverse public opinionS mean a lack of consensus.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:47 AM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
No, it's called CRE...Culturally Responsive Education.

Government website for you:
https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/edlabs/regio...tro-to-CRE.asp

Old 12-03-2023, 10:47 AM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times
The only skills needed:
Whatever language, mathematics, social skills it takes to make MONEY.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
The only skills needed:
Whatever language, mathematics, social skills it takes to make MONEY.
No. Cultural literacy is also important. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_literacy

Education is not just about $$$...except for the very limited, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education