Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2023, 11:59 AM

993 posts, read 2,438,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A knowledge of German continues to be immensely useful for aeronautical engineers in particular, and for practitioners in mechanical-type of engineering or even in physics in general. In grad school, my counterparts in the math program were expected to learn two out of three of {French, Russian, Ger*****, as part of their candidacy exam.

It's true that post-1990 or so, English has overwhelmingly taken over, as the language of scientific journals or conferences or textbooks. But even today, if one wishes to read the classical literature in the field, it's helpful to know one of the principal European languages.

There is a fusion and an embrace between the sciences and the humanities, if the latter are understood broadly. Yet another failure of the American education-system, is a failure to understand this connection.
The requirement of French, German, or Russian for the math and physics department is the principle reason I got a BS in Computer Science instead. The foreign language requirement for Computer Science is why many people majored in Electrical Engineering instead of Computer Science at the same school (although in fairness, I do know people that majored in CS instead of EE because they wanted to avoid Quantum Physics). This is a university that was/is top 10/top 20 in all of those fields (CS, EE, Math, Physics). Granted, when I later went to graduate school for my MSCS, I recall reading one of my friend's books on Algorithms in French (I just borrowed the book because he had it), and used another book for another class in Chinese (I couldn't find the English version), but I was just using resources that were available. My speed and understanding of the material if equivalent sources were available in English was much greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 12:02 PM

27,238 posts, read 28,308,556 times
The most important reason for learning a foreign language is if you plan on visiting or living in a country where that language is spoken.

It will certainly help you communicate better with the local population.

But in terms of helping with your professional career if you're working for an employer in the United States, I don't buy it.

Old 12-03-2023, 12:50 PM

50,148 posts, read 23,799,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The most important reason for learning a foreign language is if you plan on visiting or living in a country where that language is spoken.

It will certainly help you communicate better with the local population.

But in terms of helping with your professional career if you're working for an employer in the United States, I don't buy it.
Not practical, but I thought it would be best if you could "bank" courses in foreign languages until at some point as an adult you needed them...which is mostly never.

Old 12-03-2023, 02:07 PM

690 posts, read 366,644 times
What happened to personal accountability. The mentality today is poor me. Yes we have a problem. Blaming someone or something does not equal progress

Old 12-03-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
What happened to personal accountability. The mentality today is poor me. Yes we have a problem. Blaming someone or something does not equal progress
I'm not quite sure precisely what you're referring to in regard to this thread.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:33 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,522,431 times
To answer the main question, yes "we" as a nation have failed our youth badly. Because after all "math is racist".

You must have math skills for these, and other jobs that requires critical thinking. Instead of teaching them the actual skills they need to get ahead in this world they learn indoctrination, and are offered useless classes that get them nowhere. And we fall further behind other nations of the world who know better. They see what has happened to America as an example. Return to the basics. They worked before, and they can work again.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:46 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,417 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Any time someone starts talking about a "progressive woke ideology" in public schools. They lost me. Haven't seen it here. Its just a conservative talking point.
No chance, this stuff is real and it's happening.

Might you argue with any of the substantive points the other guy made by showing changes in curriculum?
I'm sure it's happening more in deep blue school districts in deep blue states.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,563 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And bright red. As long as there is an authority figure with a thought or motive, their intent spills out.

Been happening since the advent of communications, and politics.

Schools are just another convenient soap box.

Bosses, company execs, military leaders, Presidents..... Schools used to instruct in information filtering and discernment, but that's counterproductive to the agendas, especially the voter agenda.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:03 AM

27,238 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Any time someone starts talking about a "progressive woke ideology" in public schools. They lost me. Haven't seen it here. Its just a conservative talking point.
I think that sort of thing peaked around 2020-2021 in the aftermath of COVID and George Floyd.

It was an overreaction, but also understandable given what was going on at that time.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You apparently are not aware of right wing activism on school boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education